5 gears instead of 6

>5 gears instead of 6

Why?

My Echo has a 5 speed, what's so bad about it? Is overdrive more common in Europe?

>6 speed

what are you funking gay

why wouldn't you want an extra gear to use on highways and save mpg's?

3speeds and 1 overdrive gear

its just not enough

Anything over 5 speed in a passenger vehicle is just for marketing there is no need.

For example I rarely use 4th or 1st gear on my 5 speed and on my 6speed I never actually row through all 6 gears in daily driving that's just pointless. 2nd--> 4th--> 6th

>saving mpgs

>2014
>Not owning an automatic
What are you, 15?

>pretend to be into cars
>drives an auto

Do you get someone else to fuck your girl for you too?

>current year
>needing your hand held whIle you drive

>posting on Veeky Forums
>making outlandish claims of having gf

Not all cars have high red lines and wide power bands, you need more gears to make up for that. Go drive a fast diesel and tell me it would be as good with 5 gears as it is with 6.

Protip: It wouldn't be.

Less gears moar stronk

5 speed gearboxes are fine enough for most low-mid powered cars.

Having a 6th gear is only useful for highway overdrive or transmissions with short gear ratios

>tell me it would be as good with 5 gears as it is with 6.

6 gears are better since it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it but in my experience 6 speeds are massivly overrated and I end up constantly skipping gears. Yes even in turbo diesels.

You're thinking about it all wrong.

You're looking at it as though 6 speed is just a 5 speed with a taller top gear, but it's not. The lower gears have shorter ratios and 6th is usually just as tall as 5th in a 5 speed.

A 250bhp-ish diesel with a 5 speed would be total shit as all the gears would be way too tall and the car would feel slow as fuck. The alternative of course would making the first 4 gears short and then 5th tall for fuel economy, but that just makes the car shitty for fast country road driving as you'll constantly need to go from 4th to 5th.

Based Doug knows whats up.

>You're looking at it as though 6 speed is just a 5 speed with a taller top gear
Nope

>The lower gears have shorter ratios

That's the worst part. It's not a rally car. Having so many short gears is just annoying in a passenger vehicle.

>makes the car shitty for fast country road driving as you'll constantly need to go from 4th to 5th.

If you're using 5th or 6th in "fast" country road driving you're doing it wrong

>drives a manual
>pretends to be a car guy

So even the 40 year old house wives in europe that drive shitty passenger cars are car guys?

overdrive

Nope, tall gears are shit, end of. There are 2nd gear corners, 3rd gear corners and 4th gear corners. Having dumb shitty tall gears in an old car that can't rev high and has a lot of turbo lag just means you'll get to corners where you don't have a proper gear to be able to be on the power for the exit.

>If you're using 5th or 6th in "fast" country road driving you're doing it wrong
What is going quickly and maintaining good fuel economy. What is driving at 90mph+.

Git on mah levo

Gears 1-5 in my Mustang GT allow it to accelerate nicely when I want to really get on it. With 3.73 r&p's my 3rd gear tops out in the mid 80's, 4th gear around 115 mph and 5th is still pulling well when it hits the factory governor at 146 mph. 6th gear is the nice high overdrive for cruising that drops the rpm way down and lets me get ~25 mpg at 75 mph (I've gotten 32.2 mpg with the cruise set at 55 in 6th gear). Respectable for a car that doesn't fall in the economy class.

Ok

There are no 2nd gear corners and 3rd gear corners for a crappy diesel golf driving on city streets. Too many low ratios in passenger cars is just annoying and you keep trying to steer things towards racing which is obviously something completely different.

>What is driving at 90mph+.
What car can't do 90 in 3rd or 4th?

>What is going quickly and maintaining good fuel economy.
One minute you're talking about how grocery getters need to have the right ratios for the corners like a race car and now you want to save fuel?

Dispute the current year, you are still using the quote function incorrectly

I'm talking about having fun in a car not commuting or shopping.

Go drive something like pic related and you'll see why for slow cars with awkward torque curves 6 gears is literally a requirement. Peak torque at 1800rpm, peak power (only 180bhp) at 3800rpm, absolutely no power below 2000rpm and out of steam at 4000rpm, redline is 4400 or so. Go drive one and tell me it would be a fun car to drive with 5 gears.

>Go drive something like pic related
>absolutely no power below 2000rpm and out of steam at 4000rpm, redline is 4400 or so

So pretty much every passenger car from the 70's or 80's? Yes I've driven those and they were fine with 5 speeds.

I think user is asking if it would be fun, but I can't quite tell

>70's or 80's
>turbo

I don't think you see what I'm getting at.

I don't think you even know what you're getting at. The entire point of a car with big low end torque like a turbo diesel is you need to change gears less often.

Your "argument" that things with narrow power bands need more gears is more applicable to highly strung peaky engines.

You don't drive a car in a 'fun' way between 1000 and 2000 revs. A car like the one I posted only has accelerative power for 2000 revs of the rev range, it's obvious it needs more gears so that this super short power band be used more.

Literally the only thing holding me back in actually buying a Eurovan compared to Murricavan. I mean 9 speeds but the overdrive gear is still not smaller than .70. I mean what the fuck do the other gears do except get passed over most of the time for about the Same mileage as something with 4 less gears?
If Eurocucks weren't fucking around with their historically inferior trannys they would have had .40~ ratio last gears already factory made for the Autobahn and high taxed gas.

Thanks Doug.
Enjoy that job while your company exists.

> it's obvious it needs more gears so that this super short power band be used more.

That's not how it works in reality. In a turbo diesel once you get moving you don't really need to downshift.

If you wanted fun you wouldn't be driving a fwd diesel it's like arguing the towing capacity of convertibles.

you guys realize that the final gear ratio is about the same for modern 5 speeds vs 6 speeds right? just because it has 6 gears doesn't mean you are saving mpgs over 5 gears. it all depends on the gear ratios

so dumb.

>Its a 4 speed
Speaking of which. why is does gearing go
1st to 25mph 2nd to 40mph 3erd to 65mph 4th has torque drop off at some point i cant tell. Max speed is a little over 130mph.

Sounds like you're describing my car.

On paper my car should do 140mph but its 15 years old and will only touch 135mph on a downhill, and the gearing is almost exactly like you describe.

What car?

>he doesn't have an 8 speed DCT

1-3 in my volvo makes my car haul major ass.

4-5 is just econo/cruising gears.

>not having a 6 speed with no overdrive and still gets 35+mpg on the highway
it's like you enjoy going slow

>considering a inbred retard "based"

>2.5 TDI

SAME
also automatic

>6 speed instead of 8

Why ?

fuck off auto

Fucking amatuers.

Git rekt scrubs