I learned to drive in a car with a 6 speed manual, and every car I've ever owned has been a 6 speed manual

I learned to drive in a car with a 6 speed manual, and every car I've ever owned has been a 6 speed manual.

If I go buy a 5 speed car now, do most of them have lockouts to stop me jamming it into reverse when I instinctively go for non-existent 6th? What would happen if I did manage to get a car into reverse at 50+mph?

Most have stops to keep you from going into reverse

It gets annoying when you're doing more than a 3 point turn, and it keeps locking you out

Lockout-yes

Buy one with a superior shift pattern

My 95 civic doesn't it just grinds really loudly. I'd imagine that a lot of older shotboxes won't have a lock out

>drive a fast diesel
>a lot of power way low down in the rev range
>feels like you're high up in the revs in a petrol
>constantly go for non-existent 7th gear because it feels like I'm high up in the revs

>put the reverse gear on the other side so retards like you won't shift into it with your econobox

Going from 1st to reverse is way faster.

The shitboxes I've driven don't have synchros in reverse, so reverse won't engage at all if the car is moving.

Literally the perfect pattern, only my moms Nissan doesn't have reverse further left and up.

When you go from 5 > 4 the shifter should slide straight in and avoid reverse entirely.

Don't try and force it in, it'll go in by itself if the shifter linkages aren't sloppy and worn to fuck.

T. someone who went from 5 > 2 without realising

I'm learning to drive stick on a pickup with reverse where 6th should be with no lockout. I went for 4 and almost went into R for respect but I didn't release the clutch yet

Life is suffering

This, if you apply a straight back pressure when it's in fifth it'll slide back and into the middle of the pattern then down into 4th.

t.5spd owner

>diesel
>fast

Looks like mjet went incognito boys

You wouldn't been able to select reverse anyway.
>dumbasses ITT that don't know how gearboxes work

WHAT'S A SYNCROMESH?

Something that's irrelevant to selecting reverse at highway speed.

You'd crash

I am completely erect right now.

semi performance cars usually do my slowbalt semi does too, really just dpeneds on car mambajamba

Don't buy a badly engineered German or Japanese car. Most european cars (and some new korean and japanese), especially German and Swedish, have reverse next to first or second. The worst you can do is accidentally go into reverse instead of second, and you can easily fix that without a blown up gearbox.

Inferior to dogbox

The horrid grinding should be enough to stop you from continuing. It won't really go in anyway.

This. "Brushing the teeth" is about the worse thing that'll happen.

Bmw M550xd would like to have a word with you.
380hp and 550 lbf ft at 2000rpm

>xd

It's in that location so that the design remain consistent whether the car is 5 or 6-speed & because you transition between reverse and 1st or second.
>econobox
>bmw m
Also this. You don't go from 5th gear to reverse.

Never seen one that doesn't force you to push down very hard to get to reverse exactly for this reason.

You serious brah?
Reading comprehension. Get some

Pull up for reverse master race

You are just as dumb. No 5 speed manuals require any of that shit and no 6 speeds have reverse in that position. Jesus.
Fuck what am I still doing here

My car has a thing on its shifter where you have to pull up to pass a gate under the shift boot that is in front of reverse. You can pass it by mashing the gear hard enough but obviously that's bad.

>Push down very hard
Not in Mazdas anyway.
I've accidentally put it into reverse many a time and had the pleasure of someone behind me beeping at me by the time I got it into first and am actually moving forward.

Imagine. You are actually in first gear and are moving forward but someone behind has beeped because they freaked you put it in reverse. Their reaction time hence gives you the shits

>hill start
>drive a shitbox
>still learning to drive
>real nice looking audi pulls up behind me
>has second thoughts and moves to the other lane
>mfw

Dog box Is best gear box.

You won' be able to shift into becuase of the dog gears, even if you got passed the synchro some how.

I would

Most 5speed cars since forever have a thing in the shifter mechanism that is there specifically to prevent you from going directly from 5th to reverse.
And I'm not talking about the ring that you pull or the whole stick that needs to be pushed, I am talking about something you can't see, which is inside the gearbox and that you can't physically avoid.

So, even if you don't have those dumb-proof features on your stick, you most likely still have the safety inside the shift mechanism itself. With that, the only way to engage reverse when trying to upshift to a non-existent 6th gear is to first get the stick to rest in neutral and then go for reverse, and even then you wouldn't be able to engage it anyway unless going really, really slow, regardless of the fact that reverse may be synchronised or not.

TL;dr: don't worry, you can't engage reverse when running even if you tried

Of course I'm talking about cars that have a shift pattern with a reverse sitting where a 6th gear would be,

Sir reverse is all the way right and to the bottom but to get into reverse you have to pull the spring on the stick up.

Hitomi Tanaka

>ZHP shift knob
>5 speed
Spot the poor pleb

Most if not all reverses are unsynchronized so you dont do that. Instead it just grinds like a dirty whore that you gave 20 bucks too.

There's an interlock on the shift knob on all manual k series dodges you have to pull up to shift into reverse

You ever drive a Westfalia? No way you're accidentally getting into reverse there, I mean sure its a four speed, but who needs an overdrive? Not the guy driving a Wesfalia going 35 miles per hour everywhere.

>I have driven a car with an unsynchronized reverse so all the cars have unsynchronized reverse

checked and thanks.