First production car to reach 200mph

>first production car to reach 200mph
Tell me why the Ferrari F40 isn't the greatest super car ever?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NMtfs-2NnNc
youtube.com/watch?v=w6Thomd4BQg
supercars.net/blog/1988-callaway-sledgehammer-corvette/
youtube.com/watch?v=8urShMlqN2E
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i literally can't, the f40 IS the greatest car ever. sorry.

It's been surpassed in performance.
Duh.

No ecoboost

The F1 exists.

No ecoboost.

It's a pretty shit car.

The only fucking impressive thing about that car is the fact that it "went 200" with a 4 speed.
If it even did hit 200mph. I couldn't have with the lights on.

Its a 5 speed
Get your facts str8 m8.

This.

Not only did it destroy everything before it, the numbers are still amazing today.

Especially the top speed. It took a W16 with quad turbos and like 13 radiators to beat a NA 12.

Any way you slice it, this car was just insane.

Now stuff like the Regera make numbers insignificant, by there's a miriad of supers these days. Gets lost in the mess.

Don't get me wrong, I'd trade my balls for an f40, but to me the F1 will always be the king supercar.

Not to mention it is still, to this day, the fastest NA production car ever made.

Also they originally built it for the road, but when they slapped some aero bits on it and took it racing it completely dominated. It's just that good.

It's not the Miura.

It's not the F50.

hitting 200mph 1st doesnt make it good

>Tell me why the Ferrari F40 isn't the greatest super car ever?

Because it never won Le Mans.

>Inb4 alphonse
Come here when the GT really WIN Le Mans, not get a participation prize for finishing 18th

Also, some videos because we deserve

youtube.com/watch?v=NMtfs-2NnNc

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Gordon Murray stated he was pissed off they didn't stick the plates back on the car after it won to drive it back to the factory to really rub it in.

it was rejected 5 times before it could hit that speed
it struggles over gravel and grass due to how low they had to sit it

ill mostly give it props for really nice handling
and being the last car approved by the don him self

The GT has won lemans. 4 times.

This car has aged so well.

>GT ≠ GT40

>damage control
BTFO

>he needs turbos to hit 200mph

no one is impressed by a race car doing it

As much as i am a mopar fanboi, it doesnt count as production. It was fairly modified.
But it is the first car to reach 200mph on a closed course.

>tfw both F1 competitors were canned and you will never own a BMW E31 M8 that depreciated within affordability

fug

>built it for the road, but when they slapped some aero bits on it
cad cam and carbon fibre tubs is almost cheating igr
>tfw the clarinet F1 still passes CAFE

It used a slightly tuned production engine, other than the roll cage and gearing it's pretty much the same as the production version. Still somewhat impressive for the 70's.

id be a little worried about the chassis at speed
but this is a modern bias of mine
I assume some gussets and seam welding would be enough to sure things up

Because Mclaren made the F1.
>still the fastest NA car ever made
>Won the 24h of Lemans with minimal modifications
>3 seats for ultimate driver-centric setup
>No electronics whatsoever
>dem looks
F40 is a close second, though.

Then we can start including Ferrari/Porsche LM cars of the 70's if thats what counts for you

and you have 3 seats

Not you cant. Those are purpose built race cars. they share nothing in common with the road going version. The superbird came from a time when NASCARS were were modified road cars, not tube frames like they run today.

I wasn't really that blown away by F40s. I'm sure they were crazy at the time, but so was every other homologation special car (the F40 wasn't a homologation special, but it evolved from the 288 GTO which was intended to be one). If you only compare them to other street cars yeah they are way out there especially for the time, but really they are just race cars without roll cages or other safety items. People way overuse "race car for the street!" or "track car you can drive home," but that's what the F40 is. Driving an F40 doesn't feel any more magic to me than a Challenge car, which are barely mentioned. The F50 though really feels like nothing else, it's really underappreciated because people only look at the performance. It has a structural engine block that's bolted to your back, with a pushrod suspension hanging off it. You are basically wearing an Italian F1 V12 with a perfect 6 speed and some wheels as a backpack. The interior feels like it could have been made yesterday, really timeless, definitely not the case with the F40.

I wonder what its like for visibility when passing

do you not get nervous about suspending cars in such a manner
I'd prefer a scissor hoist over a pillar lift

Doesn't look as sketchy as this shit.

wtf this is some penny wise pound foolish shit

Oh god, why not just expand the garage?

Nah, it's not like I live in earthquake country and the F50 definitely isn't super back heavy with the rear lift points in the middle of the car

Why does that look sketchy to you? Never heard of a car getting dumped off a 4 post while sitting on the locks. I've seen someone drive off one though

Because the yellowbird exists.

youtube.com/watch?v=w6Thomd4BQg

213mph in 1988.

You are now imagining driving it on 1980s tyres.

Because 200mph is an arbitrary number and there are plenty of other cars that were as fast or faster built within a few years before/after the F40 and stole much of its thunder.

It looks like it came from IKEA and it's not bolted to the floor.

Looks like any other 4 post, and you don't have to bolt them down, lots of shops don't so they can use flip down casters to move the rack around

Looks like some euro nonsense. This is what a real lift looks like.

F50 GT>F50>F40 LM>F40

>"469hp"
>we use very big horses in Pfaffenhausen
10/10

there are like five tiny quakes a year and one that's just enough to knock a bottle of vodka over
but its not during earth quakes when I have seen various kinds of pillar lift strip worms or fray cables catastrophically

from what I can gather the brakes are the most dangerous part of that car
supercars.net/blog/1988-callaway-sledgehammer-corvette/
>on 1980s tyres.
>not running 200 mph on 1920s tires

youtube.com/watch?v=8urShMlqN2E

that does seem the best version to do top speed in

I'm more upset by that terrible color scheme

i don't think that in any car category it's possible to call only one car as the best, but certainly the F40 was a milestone and among the most significant cars ever made.

>200mph
how much is that in kmph user?

bout 320

>F1 GT + F50

Sauce on that pic?

Because Chiron

this a thousand times

i mean ive driven dangerous cars, but i've never driven anything that ACTIVELY wanting to kill me

>No electronics whatsoever
Somewhat false but only because the F1 GTRs had a digital dashboard that glows in the dark like a Timex Indiglo watch.

I bet it handles like a dream