Why can't America make a super car? They haven't made one that competes with European super cars yet...

Why can't America make a super car? They haven't made one that competes with European super cars yet, like when the Hennessy venom claimed it was the fastest car when it was really just a stressed highly strung LS engine that could only do one timed run, while European cars have W16s and all this specially designed tech from formula 1, why is that?

Other urls found in this thread:

sscnorthamerica.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=E7ysd-MWoeM
youtube.com/watch?v=_y45i0Yi8oo
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/13612908/
web.archive.org/web/20100103092154/http://shelbysupercars.com/press/Press Release 10-09-2007.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They already did, back in the 1960s.

Ford is goat

95% of Europeans cant afford to drive ANY car let alone a supercar. Back to Forza with you kiddo.

Then you have the SSC Aero.

I know this is bait but I'll respond anyway:

The big US 3 don't want to. With the exception of the Ford GT, US automakers will spend money making affordable and semi-affordable fun cars because US citizens can actually afford them. In Europe you drive some boring shitbox if you even drive at all unless you're one of the uber-rich, whereas a machine shop employee can own a Mustang or Camaro fairly easily. So they could spend shittons of R&D playing a badge-whore game, or they could spend the money and deliver a product they can sell tens of thousands of instead of dozens.

Also Henessey is a shit-tier company and John Hennessey is a crook. If you just want to talk about supercar performance and exlusivity without the price I think the Factory Five GTM fits the pill. Mid-engine tube-chassis rework of a Corvette C5 or C6, can't remember, with a porsche transaxle and looks kinda like an 05 Ford GT and something else had a baby.

Who? It's not the same level as European manufacturers, or the same performance

What is Monaco?

A machine shop employee in Europe can drive a Mercedes/BMW, I'd rather one of those than a GM car

lol, I'm not OP,m but you are very insecure.

>muh 95% europeans can't afford supercars
they aren't mass production cars
>americans don't want american supercar
lie

SSC.
sscnorthamerica.com/
The Ultimate Aero TT was the entire reason VW had to build a Veyron Super Sport.

They've also got the Tuatara in the works if they can ever finish it.

A tiny principality that 99.999999% of Europeans don't live in. It's like saying someone from Birmingham Alabama has a good chance of owning a 250 GTO because it's in the same country as the Monterey Concours D Elegance. No European Veeky Forums poster will EVER own a supercar, period. MAYBE one might drive a clapped out 430 they rented for a ridiculous price for an hour that they can drive under 65mph with a tender. Europeans have no business as a whole talking about, or even thinking about supercars. Worry more about your 1.1 liter diesel and Sharia law, it's a lot more relevant to your day to day life.

Forgot to attach the picture.
You mean the base-model econobox-tier ones?
Please improve your reading comprehension. The US big 3 do not wish to manufacture what many would consider a "supercar" outside of a ford GT. Euros are so heavily taxed and regulated car-wise you have to be really well off (relatively) to afford something decently nice, whereas a very average middle-class job in the US will give you plenty of spending money for a decently nice car.

>What is Monaco?

A vacation spot for sandniggers.

>americans don't want american supercar

We don't need that shit when you can walk into a GM dealership buy a Corvette, drop it off at a tuning shop and have a 1200hp DD a week later. It does 95% of what a multi million dollar supercar can do.

Oh yeah, and then there's Saleen, who makes a bunch of re-tuned stuff but has their fair share of originals. They're working on a successor to the depicted S7 at the moment.

VW makes affordable cars like VW, skoda, seat, but they also make Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Audi, Bentley, Ducati. Fiat owns Chrysler and they make Ferrari, Maserati, there's no excuse for just making affordable cars why not use that tech to make the best car? Oh yeah because American cars still use the same V8 from 1960, the Bugatti W16 tech is from the VR6 engine which is from the VW corrado which is a affordable road car

Why would Europeans make the best cars if they can't afford them? Are you stupid enough to think that Americans earn more money than Europeans? You need to read some books and maybe buy a plane ticket

>VW, Skoda, Seat
You didn't seriously list those thinking they were anything worthwhile did you? A bunch of econobox hatches with maybe a turbo option on one or two models?
>le 1960s V8 meme
You don't have to downsize to a 0.9L I3 cuckbox diesle to be modern. Modern technology is what lets an American buy a Mustang GT with 435hp for under 33 grand.
>muh HP/L is probably coming next
What are diminishing returns, and what is detuning for fuel economy, emissions, and reliability?

>yurop vs murca

ohh man

Don't make me laugh, never heard or seen one

After taxes, currency equivalents, etc an American usually has a lot more purchasing power within his respective economic class than European.

wtf are you supposed to do with a supercar on a tiny island with perpetual traffic, millions of speed cameras and the constant threat of having your shit crushed?

They want to start shit? Let them. Yeah it's boring and annoying, but if Euros insist on some high-and-mighty complex, it's good to show them reality.

>hasn't heard of ssc
i guess you havent heard of saleen either

Then there's the Mosler MT900 and its variants, which were street legal versions of a car entered in Super GT. Various LS engines with a Porsche-worked ZF transaxle mounted upside-down. Ended up weighing 2590 lbs.

Why aren't American cars sold in Europe? But European cars are sold in America? Everyone thinks they're shit that's why, I went to good wood festival of speed in the UK this year (google it) and the locals literally laughed out loud when the American cars were shown

>Why would Europeans make the best cars if they can't afford them?
When I went to Germany all I saw was a lot of people on the bus, shitty little hatchbacks everywhere, and luxobarges in the rich places.

Hell, George Lucas owns one. This isn't it.

is that why euros are buying the shit out of the current gen mustangs?

>Everyone thinks they're shit that's why,
Europeans are reknowned for being snobs with their head up their ass

Heard of Saleen, but when it comes to supercars American cars are no where to be seen

Didn't an American engine at one point power the fastest production car shortly before the Veyron took the record?

Kinda has a point i mean modified vettes without even adding power or stripping weight can be extreme track machines with not much money put into them.
youtube.com/watch?v=E7ysd-MWoeM

Some people said the S7 was a failure/flop but i believe it was built to run GT1 at Le mans and it won.

Yea, unfortunately. not to derail the thread (not that this shitposting fest is worth preserving) but
>9/11 was officially 15 years ago today.
Time flies.

This too holy shit i fucking love Warren Mosler
youtube.com/watch?v=_y45i0Yi8oo

Won belcar and would've won the bathurst 24 hour race had it not been for those crazy aussies and their 7 liter Manaro contraption.

Except that isn't a supercar, it's a race car. Nor it wasn't developed by americans.

>literally looks like a badly put together fiberglass kit car
>nobody will actually buy it because it's a redneck "engineering" pile of shit
>supposedly fast but nobody really knows since literally nobody was bothered to buy it in the first place

Except the Veyron was launched before that kit car.
Even if it wasn't
>implying a giant likeVAG would actually care about a bunch of rednecks claiming shit about their supposedly ultrafast car that nobody really has seen
Those SSC guys are exactly like those sandniggers with that 5000hp car. Except with less money.
lmao

>yet another niche car that nobody really cares about
>supposedly fast, yet there's no proof of it

OP was talking about cars that were actually sold and which performance was proven. Not semi-vaporware niche built-in-a-shed "supercars."

>another niche car that literally nobody knows except if you're keen on GT racing
>also built in a shed
>nobody really has seen one

>Why aren't American cars sold in Europe? But European cars are sold in America?
Yep. Every burger brand that came here has perished in a couple or so years.
Excluding Ferd, but that isn't even american developed to begin with.

thats because our high end sports cars are able to sell more by being cheaper, and still keeping up with more expensive counterparts

>diesel Fiat driver having an opinion on anything automotive related
Why even concern your poor little brain with fast cars? You will NEVER drive one, EVER.

Yeah, you guys have deluded yourselves with a fox-and-grapes mentality. It's pretty hilarious to Americans. You guys have a bunch of retarded laws related to displacement so not a ton of our stuff will sell for any reasonable price because MUH EMISSIONS.

> So assmad you have to respond to everyone one in the thread
kek

>deflecting this much
Sorry about that babby, it seems I bothered you while you were driving your burger shitbox dreaming about that one time you sat on a Ferrari and creamed your panties.

>literally only answered to two different anons
Burgers and their ADHD.

Wtf haha, the new ford GT has got a V6 and is called eco boost, getting power out of smaller engines is what pushing car/engine design forward is, that's the whole ethos of formula 1, keep pushing the envelop of what's possible with engines and being efficient is a compliment to design, you don't take a V8 with stupidly high displacement compared to power and then not improve on it, no wonder America doesn't make supercars or compete in formula 1, I know HAAS is American and competes but they use a Ferrari engine and British chassis

V8s have constantly been improved upon, how poor is your reading comprehension? Yes the new GT uses a V6TT but it's a homologated racecar, developing a new sub-4L F/I engine when they had a perfectly good one in the 3.5L V6TT would be stupid.

ALSO REMINDER

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/13612908/

>I think this is starting to look pretty good, could the Americans honestly outdo this?
I laugh every time.

I'm not agreeing, but you can't deny the build quality of a Mercedes or BMW compared to a American car, why would they want American cars when they have better quality cars made in Europe?

>BMW
>Mercedes
>quality
Good joke user
>muh $300,000 top of the line luxury interior vs base-model chevy econobox

>implying a giant likeVAG would actually care about a bunch of rednecks claiming shit about their supposedly ultrafast car that nobody really has seen

Odd that you say that, when back in 2007 they beat the original Veyron with it.
web.archive.org/web/20100103092154/http://shelbysupercars.com/press/Press Release 10-09-2007.pdf

And then they said, Chevrolet

>GM will start an heavy marketing campaign on small diesels in the US, in order to gain some VW market
>engines are getting smaller by the day in the US
>emission laws getting harsher by the year

It's sad but small turbocharged engines are the future for ICE. Let that sink in. You don't live in a special bubble, silly.

Aaand nobody really gave a fuck about it. Even the american motoring press still considers the Veyron the fastest production car in the world.
That might have to do with the word "production." Since making a couple kit cars, that require 24/7 maintenance and can only do a pull without having their engine rebuilt, can hardly be considered a production car.

I'm not saying a chevy econobox is going to be great. I'm making a generalization of retarded arguments I've seen europoors use before.

I though Saleen went under? Something about them being sued over a backlog of non-converted Mustangs?

Or was that someone else?

That's because the Veyron Super Sport took the record back, though there was a significant controversy at the time related to de-limiting the Veyron and allowing it to get to that speed. The Veyron won out in the end, but the thing it fell back on was the SSC.

You don't live in a special bubble, silly.

Dude, you don't even need to compare a Chebby to a BMW or a Merc.
Chevrolet was literally a budget brand in Europe.
The Chevrolet Cruze was basically a budget Opel Astra J.

Yeah, the Veyron they SPECIFICALLY MADE TO BE FASTER THAN THE ULTIMATE AERO IS THE FASTEST DIPSHIT. It beat the original Veyron.
>hurrdurr turbochargers and diesels are becoming more of a thing in the US

Of course dipshit, but AT PRESENT AND IN THE PAST, we would make something that would sell for, say, 30 grand here, and euros would have to pay 200 grand for it in addition to very expensive yearly taxes that fuck you in the ass, and that 200 grand-equivalent was harder to obtain for them than 200 grand would be for an american because of taxes and things. THUS, you wouldn't see the car sold outside of America and maybe Australia.

>euro pay 200k for 30k American cars
Youre retarded as fuck kys

Sounds to me like you're thinking of someone else, though I swear I've heard that story before. Saleen these days is publicly traded, and is working on both the S7 successor and an EV S7.

Neither of these are the full versions IIRC but this is the cause of constant euro assrage towards americans.

What counts as a "Super car"? The Venom and Veyron are Hypercar territory as far as top speed-only performance (or so i thought) and it seems people are dismissing other suggestions on the basis of "not well known"/"very niche didn't sell too many"

What about the LFA? is it a Super-car or a sports-car? there weren't many made in comparison to Ferraris and Lamborghinis in the thousands and i don't know how well known the LFA is to casuals who would call out "LAMBO!" when a super-car is mentioned. is that too niche? and what about GTR? what are the things that would make these super-cars and if they aren't what do they need?

Somebody has the image of the Mustang Ecoboost priced at like 100 grand in Denmark or some shit. It's an example with arbitrary numbers.
2/2
Prepare for fox and grapes

You can think whatever you want, but at the end of the day the Veyron was a production car that was actually sold... You know, to people?
The SSC is just a redneck "hello world." Hardly a production car or even a car that was meant to be taken as a serious engineering feat like the Veyron was.

It's not hard making a couple of ultra fast cars, you know? What's hard is engineering them in order to be sold to hundreds of clients and not breaking down every month.

Just look at the TVR Speed 12. Probably the first legit hyper car. Insane performance
Yet it was built on a shed and very little number of units produced. Nobody really gave a fuck about it.

>get absolutely btfo in a discussion
>start crying and deflecting

You're missing the point a bit. The reason older American cars didn't work out as well in Europe is because they were simply too large. What were most of the cheapo American models between 1949 and 1978? Big ol' boats that were better suited for cruising Eisenhower's highways than they were for navigating narrow roads in French villages and Italian throughways. There's a reason the big 3 had their own European incarnations, and in some cases country-specific ones, like what Ford did in Britain and Germany or the minute and meaningless differences between Opel and Vauxhall.

It's got less to do with money, and more to do with the fact that globalization is what made a lot of the current environment what it is today, where a growing market wants to have more European-looking things here in America and more Europeans want American badges, though at the same time they only REALLY want the "cool" stuff, since they have their fair share of domestically made shitboxes.

> Even worse, he responded specifically to the same tripfag
kek

>it's a supercar when it's handmade/in limited numbers/etc in Europe like a Pagani
>it's a redneck hackjob when it's handmade/sold in limited numbers in Murrica
flawless logic
A very good point.

>tfw you look to america for the standard for everything because you are, in FACT, a peasant that is not only reliant on public transportation - but also your parent(s) lmfao

>being THIS assmad

So was the SSC Aero. Including all the base models, various Ultimate TT variants, and all 5 Ultimate NXs, they produced just over 400 of them. Which means that you're more likely to see an SSC Aero in person than you are one of these Saab 9-5 SportCombis.

There's a guy in Germany who owns an white 3rd-gen Camaro that I've seen post here although i'm not sure if he simply seen the car while in Germany or actually owns it.

>dat clean unmodified Sysclone
>dat clean unmodified fox body

Even Clarkson admited the F40 was "badly made" despite being its biggest fan and its fanboys seem to just turn a blind eye to that and only care about numbers. I don;t know how reliable F40s were when they were new but the one on Top Gear definitely broke.

LFA is a super car, GTR is a sports car although a very fast one, everyone knows Japan can do performance cars, they race in formula 1, well Honda did until 2008

To be fair to the F40 it as hardcore as shit and it was, well, the 80s. A better example would be modern Ferraris catching on fire.

rofl can u even imagine being this mad at america for being the rockstars of the entire world and feeling the need to make a thread like this? Man the 9/11 threads tomorrow will probably be funny as hell

Damn, you sound mad.

>The reason older American cars didn't work out as well in Europe is because they were simply too large.
And they were also too thirsty and badly put together. Those were the main reasons.
Some richer people did buy american cars, actually. Especially people who were in the colonies (talking about my country in specific.)
My mother's side grandpa owned a Corvette C1 among other american cars and Harleys when he was abroad, in an ex-colony.
Eventually he had to get rid of them when he came, since it was just unrealistic having those cars on a fucking garage gathering dust.

Yet nobody really sees any. I wonder why that is.

One thing is comparing Pagani which is backed up by various others big name brands to a bunch of rednecks whose brand nobody knows.
But again... Do you really think Pagani was magically known to the whole motoring world in a blink of an eye?
The Zonda was launched in 98 iirc, nobody knew or gave a fuck about them. But then they started to prove themselves and people got interested.
That hasn't happened with any american so-called supercar company.

>tomorrow
>being back in time

>very good or pleasant; excellent.

Honda's back to building engines in F1, at least. They power McLaren at present...and unfortunately are a bit behind on the development side of things.

It's for reasons like this that I didn't post the Tesla Roadster. Or, for that matter, this thing, which has a crazy fucking story behind the Ariel badges.

It's one of those cars that seriously depends on owner, and that F40 WAS a borrowed car, so it's entirely possible (emphasis on POSSIBLE) that the owner wasn't maintaining it right. Not that it takes much to screw up the maintenance schedule of a Ferrari.

>they're American do they're rednecks
>two digit count of paganis in the world
>400 Aeros
>but muh brand names
>SSC didn't prove themselves by beating the Veyron

I just got home from the bar nigga. Drivin my v8 monte carlo thati bought for FUN drivi g home drunk with not a care because cops onlypull over niggers in my town

Great job representing us dingus. G body or older?

>ITT: Americans acting like their country is the automotive mecca

let's put it like this: Euros build the better cars but US has the better car culture (including laws, cheap fuel, etc.)

Yet you shout Pagani and any car enthusiast will know the brand, despite being a really young one. If you do the same with SSC, most will probably ask you if it's an air conditioner brand.

It's about the brand proving its value, and a top speed record isn't really all it takes. Literally anyone can put a huge v8 with 2 turbos strapped in on a cf shell and make it go fast, another thing is actually engineering it properly.

>400 aeros
None to be seen in the wild. Probably on the shed getting reengineered so they don't need rebuilds every 100kms.

Euros build incredibly out of reach cars but good cars for sandniggers to buy, yes. For the common man America and NZ are the automotive mecca.

9F course bruh u already know i was watching training day in high school impacting my entire financial future of impulse purchases. Rwd is still fun in this and my crown vic daily driver lmao

>the living embodiment of hulk hogans theme song

Mah nigguh.

the new viper says hi

>60 mph speed limit in some states
>automotive mecca

If by car enthusiasts you mean literally anyone who plays Need For Speed, Forza, Gran Turismo or literally any game involving super/hyper cars? They've got the Pagani Zonda in mobile based racing games too. It doesn't take an enthusiast to recognize a brand that's pushed so ridiculously heavy.

There was plenty of badly put-together European stuff as well, especially in the 70s and 80s, which were also the worst times for American guff. Lancia Betas rusted just as quickly as Chevrolet Vegas, the Jaguar XJS, much like a Mercury Cougar, would explode every time it was Tuesday (or Thursday, depends on the man in the factory), the Triumph Stag, much like a long list of Buicks, wouldn't stay cool, and the Princess, MG B, Austin Maxi, Rover P6, Plymouth Valiant, Lincoln Continental IV, Cadillac Fleetwood, Buick Century, Alfasud, Fiat 850, Citroën Ami, and Ford LTD never started in the first place.

It should also be noted that the Corvette C1 is more American than most Corvettes, good on your grandpa.

So? What's your point?
They made their name on the face of other already established big players.
It's all about prestige or doing something incredibly well to be well received within the motoring press and then the public. Something american brands are unable to do.

>There was plenty of badly put-together European stuff as well, especially in the 70s and 80s
Definitely. That's why I also mentioned the fact american cars were gas guzzlers and it was just unrealistic having a car like that in Europe, even at that time.

>It should also be noted that the Corvette C1 is more American than most Corvettes, good on your grandpa.
He imported it directly from the US, through South Africa, I think. And drove it back to Angola.
He had many cars including a late 60s Pontiac sedan, an original Mini, a Triumph Spitfire, an Alfa 2000 and a Mercedes with a fin tail (probably a W111.)
Had a retail empire in Angola and two bike dealerships that sold Harleys and european brands like Triumph and Zundapp.
He was quite the car guy, shame he died before I was born.

American brands are quite able to do that sort of thing, which is why the new GT is as memetic as it is. And why the old GT made such a splash as it did. And why there are currently outstanding orders against the SSC Tuatara even though they haven't even finished it yet. You just don't hear about them a lot because I don't imagine much of that sort of thing makes its way into Portugal these days.

A good chunk of states are bigger than euro countries and are way less dense. Not to mention the fuckton of racetracks if you so wish to have fun 100% legally.
>but muh autobahn
Isn't it like 70% regulated now, and can your 0.9L cuckmobiles even reach 60?

Anything that makes its way into Europe, makes its way into Portugal.
That's not really a valid point. Especially when Portugal is well known for having many car enthusiasts.

The GT is well known because it's a Ford. Ford has a substantial presence in Europe.

Horacio Pagani started out at Lamborghini doing carbon fibre research
he also styled the 25th anniversary countach
but before 2001 people out side of the industry might neve heard of him

>gt40
>american

it was a heap of shit till Shelby dropped a 427 in there

niggers in the usa can afford CLAs and 320i too

anyone that thinks a viper acr or corvette zr1 isnt a supercar is retarded

hahaha sounds like someone has some unresolved issues

Which 0.9L cuckbox do you drive?

>ITT: all the evidence you could ever need that a yurocuck range ban is in order to improve Veeky Forums's quality

>maybe buy a plane ticket

what's the point when 46% of americans don't have passports

>all this murriclap asshurt

kek, are they triggered because of the date or what?

I'm triggered because I own a car that's 95% better looking than anyone else's ride on Veeky Forums, and it's fast :^))))

and it can't turn

Who needs to turn when you can get your front tires off the ground :^))?

not even the new models are faster than a fucking civic kek

Who the fuck cares about modern cars? I can buy a 7.4l 454 for 1000 bucks and build it to make 700hp and be street drive-able for 2000 more lel.

New GM blows dick, this is nothing new. How about you man up and post your own car faggot :^)))?