How do you work on your car if you have no place to go with a garage?

How do you work on your car if you have no place to go with a garage?

Tfw apartment fag

Other urls found in this thread:

standardmotorcycleco.com/#standardmotorcyclecohome
stewsgarage.com/bay-rental-description/
stewsgarage.com/services/oil_change/
selfservegarage.com/rent-a-bay
diyautorepairshops.com/
autorepairrevolution.com/repairs.asp?service=Do-It-Yourself
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There's places where you pay a fee to use their ish

I was apartment fag for 5 years. Really just got lucky and happened to take a night class at a local tech school where I befriended a guy that owns his own repair shop. Let me work on my vehicles and did repairs at a great cost when it was something beyond my capabilities. Would even sell me parts at his cost. Kind of an odd critter, but really nice guy. It's not like everyone can just go out and buddy up with a full blown mechanic that has a shop though, so your best bet is to make friends with an average joe shade-tree mechanic that has a garage space and maybe some specialty tools.

buy a woodland in the middle of nowhere it will probably be impossible if you dont live in the flyovers.

That garage has never seen an oil change.

You have a house now?

I know this feel man. The garages that are available for rent at my apartment complex are tiny, hardly even enough space to get in and out and my WD21 isn't even that wide. They don't even have power outlets or lights.

I would use my parent's or my friend's garage but they all live an hour away and I don't get a chance to go up there often.

>tfw you have epin plans for your car but you can't do anything about them

Of course not. It's meant to show off those cabinets.

never heard of such service

There are pretty rare in my experience but they do exist and seem to be growing in popularity. They are called co-op mechanics/co-op shops. A good example is the one listed below.

standardmotorcycleco.com/#standardmotorcyclecohome

It's fucking hard man. I actually have a garage but it isn't big enough to comfortably work on my car. Even then, working on a car is a pain in the fucking balls without a lift.

Yeah, finally bought a place a couple years ago and have a 2 car garage to work in

Are you married or single??

i make it a point to only buy done cars

ie. cars that only need gas in the tank

See, you're one of those people that just don't get it. You genetically lack that inherent problem solving/critical thinking drive that true males have.

Single
>implying anyone who browses a tibetan calf birthing forum could convince someone to marry them

im an electrical technician by trade my job revolves around advanced troubleshooting all day no one wants to fucking come home after 10 hours and fuck around with somthing that should work perfectly the way you want it to

ive done the build it from stock route and it takes too long and there is no promise of ever finishing

a done car can be made into what you want with minimal work and its already done for you to enjoy

>have great plan for car
>dont know how to weld
>have limited tools
>no garage
>no room in the house
>no one to help me with 2 man shit

walmart parking lot.

>That garage has never seen an oil change.

That garage has a floor finish.

One of my neighbors has an epoxy finish garage floor. It has a slight sheen to it. He's neat and doesn't spill oil on the floor, but if it did, the full synthetic oil would clean right up without marks. My company has floors like that too but theirs are light colored in order to allow different spilled fluids to show their color for better identification.

>How do you work on your car if you have no place to go with a garage?

My city has several commercial garages with lifts available for rent. You can even rent mechanics by the hour. The most expensive garage has electronic chiltons and 400 piece tool sets in each bay. Those are $40 per hour or $200 per 11 hour day so the cost is pretty good. The attendant is a retired mechanic who gives free advice but will not touch any tools.

Their 4 point lifts for oil changes costs $15 for 30 minutes at one place. Another place costs $20 for 30 minutes but it comes with tools. Both places have free oil disposal and have containers to catch the oil.

Dude I need something like this. I'll have to look it up. Thanks man

I have an apartment with a garage
>tfw oil and gas spills everywhere

I rent a house with 2 other people. So we split the bill, because of that its cheap as shit and I get a garage in North Dallas area.

Seriously paying 500 bucks a month and I get the garage pretty much to myself.

Of course not everyone is interested in living with roommates.

They have something like that on millitary bases where u can rent tools and lifts and whatnot for the day. But anyways here's how I do it
>live in 5 bedroom house with 6 people
>garage full of clutter
>assigned parking on driveway for mom dad and roommate and i have street parking so I can never wrench there unless I do it quick before people get home
>2 hydraulic lifts
>4 Jack stand
>fold over tool kit
>oil pan
>ammo can full of special tools if I need them
>park on back roads, wrench, and move before the cops show up
>park and wrench at autzone parking lot and dispose of all fluids and trash and cores and bail before cops come
>park and wrench at wifes parents house with 2 car garage 4 car driveway and large flat enclosed yard

you don't. why would you even bother "working" on a car without a lift?

I'm not as well tooled as I think you are but this has been my operating procedure so far. Mainly wrenching at a little gas station / car wash. Just prepare everything you need at home, throx it in the trunk, drive there, wrench, come back.

This, 100%.
Once you get a big boy job fucking with cars like you did in HS/College loses every ounce of appeal. 40 or more hours into a job just to come home and work on a shitbox (doesn't matter how nice/expensive you'll always come to think of them this way) loses all of its appeal. I'd much rather gas and go use the fucking thing. My wrench time is maintenance only now.

Depends what you're doing. I've just used the apartment parking lot but I've only done brake jobs and I put on a new exhaust pipe.

Usually old industrial areas have some buildings that are rented out for wrenching. You get a small spot to park cars and store tools, and everyone shares the rent and has mandatory volunteer work like keeping the place clean or painting the walls.

At least that how it works in my country.

i just want to let you know its highly likely that if you attemp to build up a stock car you will break somthing on it or ttotal the car before you ever fully finish

>Dude I need something like this. I'll have to look it up. Thanks man

The concept is described at:
www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/01/16/self-serve-auto-shops-cater-to-diy-mechanics/21891903/

I found mine (Stew's) in the seattle area by googling for:
car lift rental

Example of what a lift rental shop provides in "seattle" area at Stew's Garage:
stewsgarage.com/bay-rental-description/
stewsgarage.com/services/oil_change/
It has six bays with BendPak lifts - Four bays with two-post lifts and two bays with four-post lifts. They have tire mount and balancing machine too. Each bay rental includes:
A 450+ piece tool cart (inc. air tools)
Professional Advice
Two air supplies
Multiple electrical outlets and a 50' extension cord
A workbench
A ShopVac
Shop towels
Used oil catch
A pair of disposable gloves, per person
Use of a variety of specialty tools
Access to AllData manuals
Use of tablets pre-loaded with tech videos

Another nice place in "Seattle" (kent) area: selfservegarage.com/rent-a-bay
Oil change lift: $10 for 30 minutes to do oil change
Regular lift bay: $20 per hour

Other examples:
diyautorepairshops.com/
autorepairrevolution.com/repairs.asp?service=Do-It-Yourself

For all those people in those "How Do I Start Wrenching, I am too scared to get under the car" threads, doing your first oil change for $10 or $15 at a DIY wrenching garage with the secure feeling of a lift can give insecure first timers a real boost.

because jackstands

Have fun dying, dumbass.

I should check this place out, live down in kent so it isnt really that far from me. Really need actual tools so i can get springs on

>Really need actual tools so i can get springs on

The other seattle area DIY "Stew's Garage" has more support since they have their basic 450+ tool set which includes air tools. They also have other specialty tools for rent. Kirkland is certainly a good distance away though.

>because jackstands

They do break sooner or later if they have cast pieces or that batch has bad alloy content.

No, they break when you use them improperly...like that one.

Yes, lets just go under with only a jack holding car up

If I need to something that doesn't require the wheels off I use ramps

rent a home fag

A rentgoy calling anyone a fag, now I've seen it all

I really wanna get a shop built with a lift but in the meantime I had a 12x20 concrete slab poured. I made a basic frame over it out of galvanized pipe then stenched marine canvas over it. It's 3 years old now and still looks great. Really surprised the canvas hasn't stenched yet since I live in a place that gets snow.

Total cost invested is like 600 bucks ish. Got the galvanized pipe at a huge discount through. I just put my car up on high lift stands if I need to do anything under it.

It was made improperly with cast metal.

It would be cheaper and faster to just pay a shop. Your "solution" is the most expensive one in my overpopulated (full of refugees and homeless) city with high apartment rents and even higher home rents. Home rentals also stipulate no working on cars in the garage or driveway. There was a house rented in my neighborhood, and the contract is like that. The neighbors all know and if there are any violations, I'm sure someone would record it for the agent. The renter would then lose their security and cleaning deposits plus face penalty terms for breach of contract.

>park and wrench at autzone parking lot and dispose of all fluids and trash and cores and bail before cops come
You mean you arent allowed to wrench there?
People change their oil there all the time.

Because I can get under there without jacking it up.
I lay down a piece of cardboard and slide under.

Damn, that's awesome

>10 hour days

>40 hour weeks

I work one 80 hour week and one 50 hour week, alternating. During my 80 hour week I don't do much after work besides hit the weights, but on my 50 hour week I usually work on my summer car.

I miss working 40 hour weeks. Don't know why I thought a degree in the agricultural field would be a good idea. All the farms I've worked on are stuck with hearsay. Finally found one where they're letting me actually manage and do what I know.

Went from a SCC of 300k to 100k. Also went from 55k production to 65k. Once I find a replacement for second shift we'll probably drop 15k or so with our SCC average.

However I enjoy wrenching. Before I completed my degree I worked in a local shop 7 days a week.

My summer car is coming along nicely. I might build a paint booth this winter and paint my shitbox.

You two don't like wrenching. For me it's a hobby. You two see it as a chore. Or maybe you work because you're lazy.

You probably come home, crack a cold one, and watch TV.

>Because I can get under there without jacking it up.
The clearance under my new 2016 chevy is 6.5 inches. So cannot even wedge my head under there without getting killed if the car comes down. Yeah, yeah, I know my brain is the size of a pea, so crushing my head shouldn't kill me.