/pog/ - Porsche General, slow thread but passionate community edition

Welcome to /pog/, the place to talk about all things Porsche! Current, future, or previous owners welcome. if you have questions, one of us probably has answers.

How do I Porsche?
(Prices are in USD and represent a sorted used car.)

>Air Cooled 911?
$20K+ SC
$30k+ 3.2 Carrera
$30k+ 964
$50k+ 993

>Water Cooled 911?
$20k+ 996
$30+ 997
$60k+ 991

>Boxster
$7k+ 986
$14k+ 986 S
$20k+ 987 (+$2-5k for Cayman)
$25k+ 987 S (+$2-5k for Cayman)

Based 944
>$5000 N/A
>$10,000 Tarbo
*Disclaimer: You can buy a 944 for under a grand, but the overwhelming consensus in the community is that sorted cars cost ~$5k... so if you buy that car for under a grand when you're done it'll be around or over $5k. YMMV.

>928
$8k+

>968
$12k+

If you are a regular poster who's car is not included in the OP, drop a photo in the thread and photoshop user will eventually do his business :)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KO_ZusyWTRo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Also, PSA from last thread:

Want to get an early N/A watercooled 911/Boxster but are afraid of the infamous IMS issue? Well I'm gonna try to change your mind

>What is an IMS
The intermediate shaft has been present on Porsche flat 6 engines ever since the original air cooled 911 all the way up to the 9x7.1 generation 911s, Caymans, and Boxsters
It's used to indirectly drive the camshafts and is in charge of engine timing

>What goes wrong?
The IMS itself is perfectly fine, the problem was when Porsche switched to watercooled engines they needed a bearing on the flywheel side of the engine, and with their infinite wisdom they decided to use a sealed bearing with a lifetime grease
What happens over time to a small handful of these bearings is that the grease dries out and it fails, causing the IMS to throw the timing out of sync and grenade the entire engine in seconds
The bearing on the opposite side is lubricated by engine oil and has never been known to fail

>How often to these fail?
Engines from '97-'99 use a robust dual row bearing that has a failure rate of less than 1%, it's the engines made from '00-'04 that use a weak single row bearing that has a failure rate as high as 10%
But don't worry just yet, general consensus is that if the bearing in your car is faulty it would have failed before 40k miles
In addition the best way to keep it healthy is to actually drive your car like a Porsche should be driven; low mileage garage queens are more prone to failure

>How much would this cost me to repair?
If you have a higher mileage car I wouldn't worry too much, especially if your car has a dual row bearing
Fixes include:
>replacing the bearing with a new OEM part - $100
>IMS Guardian - $400
>replacing the bearing with an aftermarket ceramic bearing - $600
>removing the seal and adding a flange that directly feels engine oil to the bearing - $800
The last option is the only true way to fix the problem, but I personally don't feel any of this is necessary

And obligatory 944 comfy :3

Every time I see this posted it makes me so happy.

30k 997

Where!?!

'murrika

They're not all that hard to find, even here in Portugal (AKA the oficial capital of inflated car prices, where a barely functional NA 944 may cost up to 10k) the average price for a decent one is also 30k. Try Ebay Motors?

Pros and cons of trading in my frs for a '08-'12 cayman? What about 911s from 2001, are they any good/reliable?

Pros:
>more horsepowah
>higher top speed and acceleration
>better weight distribution
>significantly lighter
>somewhat tighter handling, although that might as well be a con depending on personal preference

Cons:
>somewhat less reliable, you really can't put anything up against Japanese engineering in that department
>less practical, the lack of rear seats and the small boots might make it a complicated car for DD'ing
>slightly worse mpg, surprisingly not too far off the mark but still

In general, I guess it's up to your personal taste. As a Porsche fanboy, the Cayman is obviously my preference, but the FR-S / BRZ is still a respectable car on its own.

>What about 911s from 2001, are they any good/reliable?
That's the 996 series, see . Other than the dreaded and easily repairable IMS issue, they're indeed pretty reliable. As for being good or not, that depends on how much of a purist you might be. Personally, I think it was a revolutionary car that's definitely maturing into one of the most respectable classics from the millennium turning era, but the amount of enthusiasts that think it ruined Porsche forever for having a water-cooled engine instead of the traditional air-cooled one is somewhat staggering.

Previous OP here thanks for posting the new general. Had a busy weekend so I missed when it got bumped. I'll try to make a new pic for the next one

Track prepping for chuckwalla in November. anybody else in this thread do DEs with there's?

best tires for my 986 S daily?

currenly on khumos, 17" turbo style wheels

Continental ExtremeContact DW

Caymans have more trunk space

>ginded gears a bit in traffic today because i didnt fully go into second

ughhhhhhhhh

REEEEEEEEE

hey /pog/ previous 987 owner here, had to sell it because of this deployment im on and im thinking about getting either a 2001 dodge viper or a 996 convertible when I get back. My main reasons for the viper are its track performance and the relatively low cost of maintenance compared to the 996.

you should get a viper

its the real man's car

Why not get a 996 coupe and strip it out for the track?

that's what I've been thinking about, but a 996 is going to cost me as much as the viper for a car with more miles, and I'm going to have to do a lot of work to it, and then its still probably going to cost at least as much as my boxster did for maintenance. I also like the 2005 bodystyle so much better than the 996, and Im not sure a 996 would take well to gulf racing colors.

I have to go drive a viper I guess, if it is as much fun as my 987 was then ill probably go with it. What im really looking for are reasons to buy a 996, or a magical deposit in my bank to get me a new gen Boxster

going to dump some of my Porsche folder

>that comfy feel when you walk out to your car and find someone also likes bright colored boxsters

my dad had a red 944 when I was a kid
>used to ride shotgun
>dad would drive fast enough to pass most cars on the highway
>thought it was a race and my dad was winning

I want to do this if I get a 996

speed yellow is great desu

best porsche color

Your blinker bulb is out. that is going to be $600 to replace.

t. porsche mechanic.

maybe, but I had a tail light out during a road trip and a $10 bulb at autozone and about an hour of taking the rear light housing apart fixed it for me.

I'd just replace it with a $2 LED

A dealership quoted my dad 15k to fix some oil seepage on a 930 he had inspected.

Lel I was once quoted $3k to fix a headlight connector, I just used a $10 tube of JB Weld

hey /pog/

whats your opinion on the 718's sound?

youtube.com/watch?v=KO_ZusyWTRo

I personally really dislike it. It sounds too subaru-like.

how do you think porsche will fix this later on?

>will porsches of the future be known for their subaru-like sounds?

How hard would it be to make it sound like a Group B car?

>fucking around in the porsche builder website

>want a targa
>cant have a non awd targa

man this sucks.

atleast it looks pretty.

www.autoib.org/og/?do=thread&id=213

Does anybody think 0w-40 is to thin for hot California weather? My oil pressure was low until I finally switched to a thicker oil. Thoughts ?

I'd switch to 10w-40 if you don't have winters

My dad picked up another Porsche the other day.

I dont really post on Veeky Forums but i figured you guys would appreciate it.

>Does anybody think 0w-40 is to thin for hot California weather?
No. I run 0W-40 in both cars, and it is over 100 F here.

>I dont really post on Veeky Forums
If you have actual cars to post instead of shitposting about Ford's turbos, we appreciate it.

>the other day
google image search shows these pictures are several months old, from a porsche owners forum

Maybe his dad works at Nintendo?

How do I plug an aux cord into a 2000 boxster?

i do work in rich people's houses constantly

and every porsche guy never has a varied intrest in cars just porsche

i honestly dont like non worldlieness in car people

Do you have the CDR-210 or the CDR-220?

Well neither at the moment but I'm looking at a particular boxster for sale in my area. It doesn't specify what kind of radio it has so I'm kinda worried.

Does it have knows or no? If it does then it's a CDR-220 and you can add AUX using a special $10 cable that plugs into where the CD changer usually would

Knobs*

Pro tip, the model numbers are right in the radio

Thanks for the effort