ITT : good Veeky Forumstorical TV shows/movies

ITT : good Veeky Forumstorical TV shows/movies

Other urls found in this thread:

news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/08/0826_050826_rome_hbo.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Too bad it cost so much to make or we might have had the 6 odd seasons the writers wanted to cover the same period of time

And they barely had any real battle scenes, i wonder why it was so expensive.

Sex scenes.

And set pieces.

Just stop making characters fuck? And set pieces? Explain please.

GOD TIER

Rome
Boardwalk Empire
Deadwood

OK TIER

Borgias
Tudors
Pacific

SHIT TIER

Marco Polo
Black Flag
Spartacus

NIGGER WHAT ARE YOU DOING TIER

Vikings

Band of brothers god tier

>Just stop making characters fuck?
Then viewer ratings would drop. It's fucking HBO m8

>And set pieces? Explain please.
Building a set piece from scratch is extremely expensive. They built a few set pieces, and used existing locations with addons, but they all had to follow Roman time period design so it was pretty difficult to go and find props in that department.

news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/08/0826_050826_rome_hbo.html

>Spartacus
>shit tier
Its no Rome but its fucking enjoyable faggot.

If you're a 13 year old. Bet you also liked 300.

>Bet you also liked 300
Everyone with half a brain saw it in theaters and loved it the cinematic experience. Which is exactly as it was made to be. A damn near flawless rendition of a comic.

But no historical accuracy the same as Spartacus.

You're wrong. 300 is an accurate depiction of the greek propaganda about the battle of Thermopylae.

Nah its just shit.

Graphic novels a bit better though.

Marco Polo is pretty decent, it's just awful as a historical show. Oh, and Polo is one of the worst characters in the history of fiction

>TV
I, Claudius

Fall of Eagles
About the end of the Austrian, German and Russian monarchies from about mid 19th century to WWI.

Napoleon
It's OK, the budget isn't that great but they do well with what they have.

>MOVIES
Kingdom of Heaven
Extended Cut or Director's Cut or whatever, the Theatrical Cut is pretty bad

Zulu
I actually preferred the Borgias to Borgias. It might because I preferred most of the actors in the Showtime version.

>you will never chop your fellow wife's ear off for a foot massage

What's that from?

herodotus was such a fanboy

No one takes seriously the idea of giant Persian executioners with blades in the place of hands.

Historical Accuracy? No one takes these theatrical images seriously. As other user's have pointed out, it's an ancient greek story told via Greek soldier words.They valued the dramatic.

So where does that leave 300? They certainly display the corruption of sparta, and the ultimate "warrior culture" wouldn't commit on a holiday. The Persians vastly outnumbered them. There were many greeks, yes. But no Greek made the sacrifice like Leonidas did.

The Persians thought themselves unstoppable. They were wrong. Again.

Once again, it's a comic styled interpenetration of Thermopalye, as told by a greek veteran.

If you can't appreciate that, then you might as well take thhe Illaid seriously.

Is there a reason Clavell had to change the names of the characters to fictionalize them? It does embellish things to pad for time, but most of the actual historical record is there.

I liked:
>Band of Brothers
>Rome
>The Pacific
>Borgias
>Vikings
>The Last Kingdom
>Deadwood
>Boardwalk Empire
>Blackadder (S2-S4)

Those are all entertaining to watch. As for historical accuracy, I believe BoB and The Pacific are the closest to actual events, but all others were made with a lot of entertainment freedom. Also, I would like to mention World at War, which is phenomenal, but it's more of a documentary series, about WW2.

Raise the Red Lantern

Zhang Yimou while he was still working in Hong Kong, so less like his typical wuxia stuff.

Why is vikings so bad?

I mean its a fictious modernization of ancient passed down myths and legends which even the historical parts of lets say ragnars sons are all of stories and tales.

It's chock full of innacuracies to the point it should be classified as fantasy.

But the worst thing are the costumes, literally everyone in the show looks like a 21st century hipster wearing latex.

Personally I can't stand the costumes. The show just looks hideous.

I know that's a really stupid complaint if the acting and story and all that are good, but I'm a massive pedant who can't enjoy things

I really liked Deutschland 83, if that counts as Veeky Forums.

Vikangz
Rollo is going to destroy all the fucking pagans, deus vult

Fair enough I thought it seemedd somewhat accurate in the sense that half the time civilians where dirty and the clothing minus the poor attempts at cloth and animal tunics where accurate for the men. Not sure about the brits or french but I felt it was accurate even the fact they often where the same thing and using hardened leather in battle. I could be wrong im not hugely well versed in viking clothing.

The drama of the show is laughable to some degree if you look at it from a history point of view and the timeline doesnt make any sense but apart from that it does a good job of visualising myths especially seers and so forth. Its obviously exaggerated as would myths have been, the show is extremely comfy.

>opening episode set in Denmark
>fuckhuge mountains everywhere

That's on par with portraying Minnesota as a tropical jungle.

>he didn't enjoy season 1 blackadder
pleb

Boardwalk empire storyline is largely fictional and some of the characters are severely altered (that Polish gangster who's portrayed as minor and a total retard was a well respected and feared person IRL, for example), but the costumes and the sets are spectacular.

The Wessex soldiers was wearing helmets from the 16th century. Plus half the characters was from the period 600 - 800 A.D.

i forgot about The Pacific, show was cool

>bob anything but ok tier

>Is there a reason Clavell had to change the names of the characters to fictionalize them?

While Clavell’s “Asian Saga” novels are a kinda alternate history, he didn’t consciously write them that way and didn’t even plan on an interconnected series of books when he wrote “Tai-Pan” in 1966.

So many OTPs too.
And deus ex machinas everywhere

>Fair enough I thought it seemedd somewhat accurate in the sense that half the time civilians where dirty and the clothing minus the poor attempts at cloth and animal tunics where accurate for the men

I don't mind vikings to much, it's entertaining enough.

But the "everyone covered in filth with poorly stitched clothes, every fabric was black" meme in films is BOLLOCKS

Any historically accurate movies/tv shows on China(Preferably old age China)

Weird, I understand set pieces being costly but not the sex scenes.

I loved Our World War and Unsere Mutter, Unsere Vatter. Great miniseries

Last Emperor
Red Cliff
The Emperor and the Assasin
Once Upon a Time in China
Romance of the Three Kingdoms

fucking loads of movies about China if you don't mind subtitles or really dodgy dubs.
HK film studios have pumped out tons of good stuff, and Beijing has had a hardon for historical dramas for a while now.

>Beijing has had a hardon for historical dramas for a while now.

And thats kind of the problem, China isn't very subtle at propaganda.