Moving to rural Ireland soon; can anyone familiar with yurocars recommend some fun, cheap stuff...

Moving to rural Ireland soon; can anyone familiar with yurocars recommend some fun, cheap stuff? I just want to have a goofy lightweight car.

Thoughts on the Suzuki Jimny, maybe? Looks hilarious.

Jimny is pretty much THE ranger car in Yurop. They love these little shits and hence they're kinda overpriced for what they are but apparently they're really capable cars. You probably can't go wrong with them.

Another cheap one would be the Dacia Duster oh and Lada Niva

Also, I think for a car that is soon 20 years on the market (nearly no changes at all) it still looks really fresh for an offroader.

Holy shit it can tow stuff. Can't wait to get one of these and go everywhere slowly.

Own a 05' VVT one - use it as a DD. Little shits indestructible seriously, owned 3 years with zero probs. throw some muddies and a winch on and you're right to go

They are very nice offroad, but kinda thirsty, slow and cant take cornerspeed for shit

That's what I'm fucking talking about.

I'll make sure to keep aware. Seems like some acceptable compromises.

Not OP, but I'm thinking of buying one of these little shits, swapping the 1.8l engine in, lowering it on some stiffer springs, and using it as a daily.

I currently daily an NA mx5, and just need some more room. Thoughts?

>Moving to rural Ireland soon
Why

>lowering

What are you even doing?

Not scraping, but just so I can throw it around a corner without rolling.

I just don't understand why you would buy a car that really only shines off-road, and then modify it so that it can't go off the road.

You'll just end up with something that's bad in both situations.

Panda 4x4

>Ireland

Good thing they're only a 1.3.

Why's that?

Only real answer
Get the boxy one and try to rekt it, It's nigh impossible
Euro insurance is a bitch

Ireland still taxes cars on engine size and they don't use lube for bigger engines. 4.0 Lexus LS400 is €2000+ per year.

Ireland is bad for cars at the moment. Insurance is rising yearly by 10-20%, a lot of companies won't insure a car over ten years old. Tax is high, especially on things pre-2008. You can get cheap vintage/classic car tax and insurance but they have to be an addition to your insurance premium on a modern car.
Yearly national car tests too.
If you're starting out driving here with no licence you have to do a minimum of 12 lessons at about 35 euro a go and your first insurance policy could be anything from 2500-5000 euros depending on where you live and work at, and that's on a 1L shit box.

The license expense is a bummer, but I was ready for it. Thankfully, I'm told that my US license will be valid for a year.

The rapey insurance is kind of a shame. Guess it can't be helped, though.

Not taking a Yukon Denali XL with a 4 inch lift paired with a cattle guard to smash tiny euros out of the way.. are you even an American?

They are overpriced, interior is cheap, the tarmac ride is bumpy, it's slow, brakes are spongy... at least it's cute.

I'll think about it.

Got any alternatives?

Not for the moment, but it's getting more and more people riled up, eventually the government will have to step in and do something. A large problem is courts giving huge pay outs for small injuries from Fender benders.

Be prepared, have some cash saved for your first year and take it from there.

Where you moving to?

Why the fuck is insurance so high in the UK and Ireland?

We're planning on having a decent chunk of cash ready.

Looking at County Donegal at the moment. Trying to get moved around the end of the year, maybe a bit before Christmas.

Ok, Donegal is a beautiful County, but it's like the county Ireland forgot about, they don't get much from the government, the infrastructure isn't up to much and I don't know how the jobs sector is.
It's pretty far from the cities too, thought not by American standards I'm sure. Anyways, do your homework and you'll be grand, and I hope it works out well for you.

Thanks, we're looking forward to it.