Winter Daily?

Hey Veeky Forums, I have a 25 mile commute in Ohio and winter is coming up. Rather than driving my Shitstang, I want a winter daily.

What does Veeky Forums think of the 2004 Rav4? I found one in good shape at 150k for $6k.

I'd like an SUV because family.

>not doing mad skids with a shitstang in winter

I did that last winter when I had a 1 mile commute.

I'm sure it's good. I've heard good things about the first gen and my grandpa has a third gen that he wants to hold onto, so the second gen inbetween should be solid, too.

Yeah I've heard good things as well. I just dont want to overpay. I would consider a civic but all of the ones within a 50 mile radius are rusted out heaps. This Rav4 that im looking at has zero rust. Obviously, I am getting an independent mechanic to do a full inspection.

>$6k.
way too much to pay for a winter beater. Find an old suburban if you must SUV.

Sorry, I should have been a but clearer. This is a winter/daily that i would like to have for at least 3 years without major issue. It isnt going to be one of those $500 beaters that I pray starts each morning.

Pic related, it's the one i'm looking at.

corolla

you can go cheaper and stay reliable. 3500 edging downwards to 3k is about the bottom ceiling for what I'd expect of a reliable winter beater's market price would be.

Rav4 is a piece of shit, but it's durable, I guess if you don't care about anything other than just getting to one place to another it's ok.

I was fully expecting to open this thread with ass pained anons winging that OP is looking at crossover SUVs, and not redundant station wagons or inappropriately small, but better handling hatchbacks because raeckar

What would you recommend that isn't over $6k?

Get an old Jeep Cherokee

Massively overpriced in my area.

get any old subaru desu

Why don't more people wash and then clearcoat paint their undercarriage to protect from winter fucking your suspension up

Get snow tires on the Mustang and git gud. Awd isn't necessary.

awd is a meme, get an accord or civic with snow tires, youll be fine

Just get a rwd with snow tires, you'll be fine. Everything else is a meme.

Meme is a fwd. Just get barbed sand tires and you'll be fine

Life is just a meme. Get Nuremberg tires and you'll be fine.

get one of these as a winter beater, never driven anything better than this in the winter, and I learned manual on it with bald all seasons. Picked it up for 1600 stock with 79k miles. Intense functionality. Extreme reliability. Sick drifts.