E36

Hey Veeky Forums, can we get a E36 appreciation thread? I want to buy a E30 and I need your guy`s help to change my mind and jump on the E30 band wagon. I certainly see the appeal of the E36 as it`s a beautiful , reliable and cheap car.
Veeky Forums owners how is it to live with this car?
What would be a best engine on the car? I`m looking for reliability more than power.
I know this is still a underappreciated car and cheaper than the E30 so I would like to weigh the options here.
OP is a newfag so maybe I should lurk more but I just wanted to hear some opinions.

Might I suggest you consider the E34 as a compromise between the two?

>lovely classic BMW black-grille small-kidney styling
>comfy and roomy interior
>4 doors for more whores
>larger and more engine options
>tasteful bodylines
>more likely to be kept by kind old white men than boiracer stancecucks

OP clearly does not lurk at all otherwise this would be in the general

One of my previous cars was an E36 M3.

The E36 was as absolutely Blast. Was never bored it in, rainy days were a constant giggle fest because drifting. The car punched well over its weight class in a straight line. With my best kill story being a 2011+ dodge challenger V8. He got the jump but at high end I pulled away.

The only real problems I had with the car, was an the OEM alternator failing at 160k, clutch master & slave cylinder, A battery, And In owing it for around a year, I replaced the rear tires around 3-4 times.

When it comes to a non M E36, I'd say a 328i(s) is the best way to go. The BMW M50 series engine is an absolute tank.

E36>E30 when it comes to a daily driver in my opinion. The interior is more up to date, less old car problems, they've hit probably their cheapest point, and not as prone to electrical problems as an E46. Which would also be a good choice if you wanted something a bit newer.

Pic related.

I've owned nearly a dozen.

It's my standard by which I judge other cars ... and until you move up to a 996T/NSX/something with a carbon tub I'm not sure there is anything better as an enthusiast.

The OEM cooling system sucks, changing a headgasket is a right of passage, and max usable hp is about 450whp on street tires (but 600whp is fun) because you can only stuff 255s in the back.

Hey that's by Drexel U in Philly.

>Underappreciated

Only compared to the E30 and E46

Don't buy a 20 year old german car as a reliable daily driver and only car unless you find one in absolutely mint shape that was babied and has had everything made out of rubber/glue/plastic replaced (and that's everywhere on the car), or you walk/take the bus to work. Expect rust if you live in a salt state. Expect dumb shit to break. If it'll be a daily driver look for a G35/350Z or a newer E46 330i/330ci. Or buy a Prius/Civic and save your pennies up. They're old and were mostly put away wet.

Otherwise these cars will find new ways to make you hate cars

>reglue door panels on E36 M3 after they started delaminating (remember what I said about everything with glue/rubber/plastic will likely be falling apart?)
>put window up
>EEEEEEEEK as it scratches the shit out of my tint on the inside and won't go back up without noticeable resistance
>have to take door panels back off

Otherwise, very very fun cars. I love how forgiving they are. They're not the fastest ///M car but fuck, its like the Miata of BMWs. Its just fun to hit zoom to redline in 3rd gear before slamming on the brakes to corner at a silly fast speed feeling the car "pivot" around the apex. Its even pretty comfy.

I wish I bought one in nicer shape. You might save a little bit buying a cheap one but this is assuming your time holds absolutely no value.

>Its just fun to hit zoom to redline in 3rd gear before slamming on the brakes to corner at a silly fast speed feeling the car "pivot" around the apex
I feel sorry for your car, sounds like you are shit tier boy racer. An E36 deserves better than you.

having owned 2 e30s and an e36, I will pick an e30 everyday. much better to throw around and ultimately more fun.

My 328 e36 was great, enough power, enough torque, comfy, sounded great. but it wasn't as exciting as my first e30.

my first e30 was the best car i have owned. it was a 318is and even though it had constant problems it was all worth it.

I now have a 318 sedan with an M42 waiting to drop in and i think this is going to almost be the perfect car.

TL,DR; The E30 is more fun but needs more work and more skill to drive. the e36 is predictable and really great but the e30 is more exciting and more fun.

>TL,DR; I pretend my base model E30 is a M3 every time I drive it thus I have a hugely biased opinion.

FIFY

M8, the E30 is garbage compared to the E36. Forget the comforts, the Z-axle alone is enough to keep any sane person away from a E30. Sliding all over the place uncontrollably isn't fun, its slow and tiring. Your crappy old car plays in full degrees of yaw, mine allows control down to tenths.

here's your (you)

i'll slam it on broadway statics and lay frame just for you bby

for daily I'd take an e36 328i pref obd2. Haven't driven one so I can't compare the fun factor

e30 325i m20 engine is solid for daily and the getrag is nice except the slop (z3 short shift fixes it). mine is still running solid with minor issues typical for 30 year old e30s.

the nice thing about E30/e36/e46 is that you can retrofit a tons of parts

I just enjoy driving the e30 more man. I agree the e36 is much more controlled and easier to drive fast but thats part of what makes the e30 fun. You have to treat it with respect and learn the way it drives and moves about.

And lets be honest we all enjoy a little bit of slip even when we're driving fast. its much more exciting

I enjoy a couple degrees of slip that put the tires into their optimum performance. Anything beyond that is pretending to be Takumi and no I don't enjoy it.

Right now you are so crappy at driving that you think a car that is difficult to control is a plus. And yes, when you are learning it is. But once you have learned, the cars bad tendencies become a hindrance on your performance.

Putting my E36 into a corner and knowing that the only way I am making it is developing exactly 2.2-2.4 degrees of slip in the rear is far more exciting than your tiny power slides.

but it isn't all about performance. I enjoy the fact that i can trail brake my 80kw shitbox into a corner and get very sideways. If i was looking for out and out performance of course i would choose the e36 or e46. the rear suspension in both those is a much better design, but in terms of being able to have fun at low speed the e30 is much better and being able to have fun on my way to work is the top of my priorities.

Personal preference I guess.

There is nothing stopping you from trail braking into a corner and getting an E36 sideways, it is just going to be more nuanced about it and provide you with less chance of ending up in the trees.

>Having fun while going slow
Come on man, this is like being proud of fucking fat chicks.

>Come on man, this is like being proud of fucking fat chicks.

No I just like the fact that i don't have to grossly exceed the limit to have fun on the way to and from work. As I said before, I would take any later 3 series if i wanted performance or a track car.

beautiful? it looks like shit. Also rusts everywhere.

So if there is snow or rain you have to slow down to a crawl to avoid crashing where I don't because my car has actual performance.
>Stay mad cuck

>Stop liking what I don't like
>Performance is all that matters

It's personal prefe.........

Oh shit sorry forgot I was on Veeky Forums

Why does e36 body looks so fragile especially M paket? Additional bumpers, sideskirts and shit look like if they were glued and arent alinged well with the rest of body. Disgusts and scares me at the same time

Can a faulty VANOS system cause a cam position error?

E30 FTW