Ls400

Sup Veeky Forums selling my miata for a bigger car and I've set my eyes on the Lexus ls400 what are my pros and con's of this car. They're super cheap and I've heard the 1uz engine is bulletproof.
>redpill me on this car Veeky Forums

sick drift car

>redpill me on this car Veeky Forums
put lil more effort into your post m8.

Read the sticked thread and answer those questions for us. One we have those answers we can better answer whether or not an ls400 would be good for you

The LS400 was the most reliable car sold in the USA for all 10 years it was made, followed for 4-5 years of the LS430.

Ideally get a 1998-2000, as they are the fastest, most refined, and have the best fuel economy. The 3rd gen 1UZ is also FAA approved, and was installed in boats made by Toyota for a few years.

Avoid air suspension, as it is expensive to maintain, and avoid Nakamachi audio if you wish to upgrade the radio using a Beatsonic adapter ($250)

Heated seats are a plus, and most cars should have them.

t. 1998 LS400 daily driver.

Other thoughts:

It is a criminal offense to not upgrade from stock exhaust.

Don't cheap out on tires.

Cutting out your airbox, K&N stock size filter makes the car faster and more responsive, plus makes it the engine sound much better when aftermarket exhaust is installed.

They are good cars. The previous owner will be a better indication as to whether you should buy it or not.

When looking for my first car it was actually between a miata and an ls400 with 250,000.

I went with the ls400 because someone beat me to the miata and honestly the ls400 has me spoiled. Best thing is the v-8 and everyone who rides with me praises the seats and how smooth the ride is. Currently thinking about upgrading to a 2006 ls250 but honestly the 400 is hard to get rid of.

This.

>Upgrading.
>Lexus IS.

what

Also getting an LS will ruin all future cars for you, this will be your benchmark.

What you mean? They arent that great imo

Get an SC instead. Same drivetrain, less boatlike.

Nah, embrace the land yacht.

Lumber through life, enjoying the journey.

IS isn't that great, yes.

This.

>Avoid air suspension, as it is expensive to maintain
If you wanted to slam your car on the cheap, would it be best to go with the factory airride and mod it, or use a non-air LS and then convert it to an aftermarket system?

Think you will be happy with it. Comfy as hell

Bumping because I like the ls400

Bumping
So far pretty convinced on buying this car

Pros
>comfy
>still looks nice (not brand new, but not outdated)
>98+ has a nice 5 speed and a bump in power
>comfy
>land yacht
>drive train has been known to survive nuclear strikes
Cons
>land yacht
>oem parts are a bit pricier than your average shitbox
>if something little/electric goes wrong, it can be pricey
>most will have high miles and usually are sold just before a timing belt or other service
>most will come with an old man tan interior
>will ruin your future cars because it's so nice

Overall find a nice one with as few miles as possible in the 98+ model year. I'd say go for it

recently been looking at these too. decide on an es instead though for a great price

what i've gathered

>98+ are preferred
>huge but handles well for land yacht
>100-200k miles is fine, but be prepared for timing belt/cooling sytem refresh
>various electrical problems that can be fixed
>previous owners can be anything from granpas, niggers, mexicans
>lexus drivers site lets you see dealer maint with a vin, this + vin check thread makes a great buying tool

>t. teenage ricer

Lol, aren't you the guy that thought the IS would have better gas mileage?

It has an open diff you retard.

Not OP, but similarly curious about the LS400, how does it do with the occasional snow day? We rarely get nasty snow here in Denver, but still, there are a few days where the roads get slick. Are a decent set of tires good enough?

Same question for the SC400 as well...

We had a 95 LS400 in the family for about 20 years. All in all, excellent car.

The engine is famously bulletproof, but you will likely need to replace the power steering pump and some suspension parts if they haven't been changed. The LCD A/C/Radio display is also a problem, but they cost a lot to replace and aren't really worth it in my opinion.

10/10 car, would buy again.

Don't be a cheapfag and get the UCF10 get the almighty UCF20 if you can they just look soooooooo sexy. Any tips or advice how to remove rack and pinion? I notice that the bottom passenger seat looks "wet"

I don't mean the seat but the rack and pinion under the passenger side looks awfully wet. Any clues? How do I check if my power steering pump is about to go out?

Get it, I was able to get mine with the 250,000 miles for 1500. The only problems with it is the power steering leaks and the lights pulse while driving, other than that i love the car. Its a 98 btw
Nope im surprised how many people are looking at purchasing one

Bump for answer.

They're heavy enough to work with some good snow tires and a light heavy foot.