Manual creep

So whats the best way to creep in traffic? Not just stopped traffic, stop for 5 secs then crawl again for 2 secs traffic.

>inb4 1 car length
yeah because its fun when some jack ass changes lanes to your front

>So whats the best way to creep in traffic?
Owning a motorcycle would probably be the best way

Clutch out, and little bursts of gas to stop it stalling in first.
Don't join the stop/go meme, just crawl along at a steady speed. Or if it's going too slowly, sit there until there's a decent gap, THEN crawl.

Or find a different fucking route.

Make a tuning map for a fast idle speed like 1000RPM, switch to it when in heavy traffic, don't touch throttle

>creep in traffic
I find this style of device preferable as you can creep in traffic at or somewhere within spitting distance of the speed you'd use if the road was completely empty.

This, or if you have enough TORKZ idle along in first, ever so slightly on the brakes

> Constantly burning the brakes up
It#s like you don't even pay for your own repairs.

This

I work on a military base and have to wait in a line of cars every day to get on, the line only moves one car at a time since they have to check ID's

pic related its my clutch

Downtown delivery driver here.

Creep slow. The main thing is to not come to a complete stop if you can avoid it. A lot of this boils down to predicting the flow of traffic around you and predicting which nigger in a v6 Accord is gonna try to cut in front of you and accellerate towards the red light to slam on their brakes.

Once you get a feel for predicting traffic you can start to focus on making every press of the gas pedal as efficient as possible.

Once you master the art of coasting in creep mode you can find other drivers that do this and form a conga line with them. Large trucks and work pockups are your best bet. Older dads in expensive cars tend to understand this concept as well.

Good luck.

Wait your car doesnt make enough torque to keep it from stalling without gas?

If you have a decent engine, you can just creep using the clutch pedal. Foot off the accelerator, and just release the clutch a bit to move forward.
Dont rub it, do a full release. Idle engine speeds are good for about 5mph or less.
Dont do it too often. You will overheat the clutch, and/or cause premature wear.

If you are driving a shitbox that will stall if you release the clutch without gas, well, then give it a bit of gas. Try to avoid riding the clutch, you want a full connection. So learn to do this quickly. It maybe jerky, but it wont cause wear.

Half-clutch.

Clutch wear.

Small cars might not! I learned most of my driving on a little Fiesta that didn't.
My Focus needs a little nudge of throttle every now and again in first just to keep revs up.

>Clutch wear.
Using the clutch results in clutch wear. What other option do you have in traffic? Are you going to fully engage the clutch and use the throttle in bumper to bumper traffic?

Idle in first, brush the brakes.

Get out and push it along if traffic is slow.

>he pays someone to replace his brake pads
can I get a WEW LAD?

>using manual in heavy traffic is no harder than autotragic, they said

Stop trying to commute in race cars.

>implying manual car == race car
it's not that bad crybaby

Read the entire thread again. Either that bullshit is acceptable to you, or you don't know what bad traffic is. Either way, you're retarded.

New pads still cost money

This advice is spot on and I legitimately laughed out loud at
>conga line

are there cars that can't idle along in first? hell even my miata can do that

Either of these!

If you cant then gtfo the road

I just put on the most expensive ceramics my local store had for less than $50 a pair...

just git good at throttle modulation so you can creep in 1st/2nd without bogging. Sometimes I just get lazy and ride the clutch ever so slightly in 2nd.

Put it into 4lo, even if just in 2wd

>leaving any gap at all
its like you want some nigger to cut in front of you

its all the same, what OP's point is probably clutch wear and not convenience dipstick

Where I live the traffic is horrendous, I've driven a manual for 15 years, and I've never had to replace a clutch.
You underestimate how durable clutches are and how little wear occurs in slow speed manoeveurs.

>conga line

do you ride/half press the clutch often? What cars have you driven?

Delivery-fag reporting in. Came here to say this.

>conga line
Thanks for the advice

>low speed creep
>burning up the brakes

My 99 acura el has enough torque to not stall with just the clutch. Enough as in not even 70

>Don't join the stop/go meme, just crawl along at a steady speed. Or if it's going too slowly, sit there until there's a decent gap, THEN crawl.

Doing this saves gas for everyone behind you that no longer stops and go. A slow creep (if not too slow) propagates down the line behind you and a lot of those that were doing stop-and-go will do the creep as well.

There will be a few stupid people though that get angry when they see you have a gap.

in my city most jack ass truck drivers get mad as fuck then honks at you when you leave a teensy gap

Move to a better city

Practice proper clutch control, practice moving as slow as possible by a combination of barely tapping the acceleration and pushing the clutch down to a point where it almost doesn't catch.

If more people drove manual and liked saving their clutch, would there be less traffic? Honest question. It seems like an auto propagates lazy driver traffic creeping.

This. I drive a 8speed 5ton for work.

Find a tractor trailer, stick behind them. I know its slow but if you're in a traffic jam it's not that much slower. They are the kings of crawling.

>They are the kings of crawling.

The method can be used without saving gas in order to increase the number of people that get thru a stop light. If there are cars in front of me, I will leave a gap in front of me (especially for short lived left turn lights unless there is no lane room behind me). As the light turns green, I begin creeping forward. I time my movement so that the car in front of me starts to move forward at the same time I reach them. That way, a lot of the cars behind me are already moving. This increases the number of cars that makes it thru the stop light because a bunch of cars are already moving.

I wonder how many people behind me at the stop light misunderstand what I am doing to benefit them? Probably quite a lot. I don't have much confidence in americans nowadays. Impatient. Always blaming someone else.

Totally know what you mean, I do that too, I've even been honked at a few times. Usually brodozers or soccermums that get butthurt about it, anyone driving a standard likes it because they don't have to start from first when the light goe's green

Yes, and more prudent acceleration and therefore more people getting through ques because short-shifting smoothly is actually a little harder than shifting closer to 4k in most cars

i drive behind bigrigs. plenty of cars cut off the big rig but its okay, i dont see them and im just creeping along not stopping and going.
>pro-tip. ride next to the bigrig with a bigrig length gap in front of you, people are relucant to fill it in. even better is when your gap is between the bigrig and the shoulder

just wait till like 2 or 3 cars move up then go. as the line goes on and the guy behind you figures out what youre doing then leave the gap to like 5-10cars

this also cuts the number of cars cutting off the bigrig in half

im talking like 6+ lane highways. i imagine on a 4lane highway, this would just be golden

i do the same but also get immensly pissedd when its a short overcrowded turnlane or osmething of that sort. and every fucker has 2 and a half car lengths in front of them

or theres two turn lanes and everyone is all in one lane to the very back so you end up getting the yellow/red uggghhhh

>get immensly pissedd when its a short overcrowded turnlane or osmething of that sort.

If it is a short turn lane, then I don't put a gap in front of my car. I only use a gap in turn lanes if the lanes are long or there is a long empty median for the left turn cars to spill onto outside of the official turn lane.

If your lanes are too short, write an email to the city to have the street markings for that turn lane length increased. Or ask that the street sensors be used to detect more cars remain in the turn lane so the lane signal gets a time boost if more cars are sensed in the lane. Such complaints do work in my area, so it might work in yours.

I wish more people ahead of me at the light would do creep. That way a lot more people would make it thru the light.

The idea of creep seems so useful and practical, I wish they would teach that in high school driver education classes.

So you keep creeping along regardless. If they want to hammer their engine and slam on the brakes, let them.

Same with the middle-aged white cunts in Audis riding your bumper and flashing ultra-bright headlights. Ignore them.

>middle-aged white cunts in Audis riding your bumper
As soon as they dart into the other lane to try to get ahead of you and rush into the gap you leave in front of your car, you can temporarily give up on the gap and close it up to stop them from doing that.

Most modern manual transmission cars can keep moving forward in the first few gears at idle with your foot off the gas. It's best if you keep some distance and just roll along this way. It's the equivalent of being off the brake pedal in an automatic. This isn't always possible because most vehicles on the road have automatic transmissions and people generally have the creep forward and stop mentality. In other words, they don't actively try to maintain forward motion. They don't know that you are trying to maintain forward motion so they get frustrated when someone doesn't accelerate as soon as the car in front moves forward. Even when you have a good rhythm going some impatient prick will eventually fill in that nice gap of distance you have established and you have to start over.

In my experience being behind or in front of a semi truck really helps since they're in the same boat.

>mfw living the $7 rockauto brake pad life

My RX7 will not

>So whats the best way to creep in traffic?
As far as I can tell, I am the only passenger-vehicle driver that uses creep in the city or on the freeway. It feels a bit lonely being the target of hate and scorn by the other drivers. The paint is melting off my car and the rear windshield is pitted with their arrows of hate. Their beeping horns have vibrated screws of my rear licensplate loose so often that I have to tighten them each day with loctite.

Why do people not understand that "creep" reduces hysteresis in a traffic flow situation?