Golf R vs Focus RS

If you had the money, which would you choose and why?

youtube.com/watch?v=Oklm3mV6ThE

The one that isn't FWD oh, wait...

>Buying an American Car
>Buying an overpriced German Car

At least the Subaru is TRUE AWD and not an ugly hatch

Neither.

>wheelbase over 103.6"
fucking dropped

Does it matter when the engine will blow up on you a year later and Subaru refuses to cover it no matter what

>Golf R
>won't turn FWD after two laps, only when I go home and cruise on the highway

>Focus RS is 30k dollars here
>tfw poor anyway

>tfw have 2006 outback xt turbo
>tfw its 10 years old
>tfw it needed nothing for 9 years
>tfw it lasted 125k before it needed new headers and turbo
>tfw if you dont drive like an idiot cars last longer
>tfw pretty much every meme about every car is posted by someone who has never sat in that car

Both are technically German.

neither

I'd get a camaro or mustang

>a leaf gets stuck in the rim and catches fire
>this is somehow Ford's fault
gm fangirls are this desperate

RS is fulltime AWD, dumbass.

Where's the leaf then?

>hurr durr muh buzzwords
>help me find where it says it because i have no data to back up my claim

Just kys desu

>FWD BIASED

>pls spoon feed me!!!
BTFO!

This. Although I would feel like a cuck to not drive the GT, I don't need AWD or 5 doors.

The Focus.
>58hp more
>only $305 more expensive
>not FSI

/Thread

Also
>not a VW

Golf, it's better built, more reliable and VW didn't cheat emissions standards as much as Ford did.

> (OP)
>Golf, it's better built, more reliable

>VW
>more reliable than glorious Ford

> Buying American...

Can you install the AWD system in a mazda 3, they share the same platform??

If they had reliability issues they wouldn't offer a 5 year 100,000 mile warrantee as standard on the engines and transmission.

They probably have different floorpans.

Statistics man Ford are known as one of the least reliable brands in the world for a very good reason, ask all the FiST drivers who had to pick bits of turbo from the road, of FoST drivers with broken 'boxes, dreams and promises.

>misfires
>camshaft/follower failure
>diverter valve failure
>fuel pump failure
>carbon build up
>manifold runner control failure
>timing chain tensioner failure
>PCV valve failure
>coolant temp sensor failure
All common problems with the 2.0T and that's just the engine.

>not fsi
>is disi
lmao

the focus is out for five minutes and already the rear diffs are going. give it a couple more years and you'll see what a lemon it is.
vw are shit but ford is actually worse. only their trucks are good.

It already set the brakes on fire after 2 min of driving

they are no where near close to the same price, ford dealers will mark the RS waaaaay the fuck up because "muh collector car" and "muh ken block" so you are looking at around $10k in markup to where the golf would be alot closer to msrp

>local dealers marked up RS to 50k CAD
>VW fucked up on underpricing the R for Canada and only started correcting it for 2017MY

people who bought Golf R's now in canada got a deal

So i'm gonna be in the market for a new car next year, I was thinking RS but what you guys are saying is search for a low millage evo, right?

Focus RS because I'm a boyracer and the R is too mature, subtle, and numb to drive.

Have you ever burned a leaf before? They burn for maybe 4 seconds and don't produce that much flame

>Paid ford shill team doing shitty damage yet again

22B

which subaru is that

One that costs 80k if you can find one

>I cant use google
its the impreza 22b

>a leaf gets stuck in the rim and catches fire
Holy fuck you are one fucking retard

The Focus, because it's a Ford.

Although I think I'd rather just get the Focus ST and spend the rest on a motorbike.

I've test driven both. I would get the Golf R over the RS any day. The RS feels a bit more raw and a bit faster but every other single thing about the R is in a whole different league imo. The RS felt like a pre-riced Focus and the R actually felt like a proper $40k car. The RS is also more expensive right now and going for well over MSRP in most places. You could get an R and throw an ECU tune on it for a few hundred bucks for cheaper and end up with a much nicer vehicle to actually live with.

>because it's a Ford
Get a brain scan as soon as possible, user.

Neither one. They are both factory rice cuckmobiles. If I had to take one it would be golf since it doesn't look like car that was designed by 12 year old.

To be clear, no one has blown up a rear diff just yet. There are a handful of people who have gotten the cooling warning for the RDU and have it shut off. Not unlike the Evo MR SST overheating issues when they took those to the track. The RS is far from perfect, but the Evo and STI have had their fair share of issues too. There are a couple guys on the RS forum that are probably going to blow up the PTU first though, they're pushing almost 400 whp on e30 and looking to go big turbo.

Also, no one besides MT has gone on record with catching the brakes on fire. I'm not super worried lol. I love the brakes.

>inb4 I'm a Ford shill

>an expensive, understeering Golf
>an expensive, overheating Ford
Fucking neither

>FWD biased
>will disengage the RWD capability entirely if the clutch packs get too hot
fucking kek

>no one bringing up the superior (((hot))) hatch

The rs looks like massive cheap piece of shit. It's disgusting.

The last generation focus rs looked so much better and it actually stood out in traffic next to a heap of bland shit boxes, not to be confused with your grandmother's base model focus because it looked like a real performance car

This new focus is a joke and the performance for "muh awd huur" is pathetic and barely better than the old fwd rs

I saw one for under 30k a few months back in Japan

>Has to drive around for 3 minutes because of the 'leaf' fire

There isnt a single american part in the RS m8 its all from Ford EU

and the engine is from mazda

Ford is going to show why we haven't had a real hot hatch in years

spoiler: piss-poor drivers can't drive aggressively and ruin the cars

this shit happens with all high performance cars. people find out very quickly why race cars need rebuilds ever few weeks, because everything has a limit

Yeah I got it for cheaper than what it would cost in USD. I got a MY16

Do people drive these things every day or just weekend warriors?

They're supposed to be DDs, haven't seen any RSs but I know Golf Rs are actually used as DDs.
If anything it's the performance aspect that rarely get's used.

>full time some of the time

Honestly. Neither. Both are overpriced as fuck. Both will basically be $40k+ by the time you're out the door.

I get the whole performance part of it, the climax version, but how do you get around the looking like a jagoff driving a race car everywhere?

>not available in the USA

who the fuck cares what wheels are driven when you're crawling at 10mph in traffic or in a parking lot?
if it decouples an axle to save a bit of fuel in that scenario so what.
stop being so autistic

Focus RS looks sporty and fun

The Golf looks like every other shitmobile in here

literally every slav is driving Golf, every driving school and taxis, it's just got a more powerful engine inside no one is going to notice

It's not full time at all. What a fucking retarded statement. In most conditions it will be FWD unless conditions dictate RWD engagement.

Depending on the year yes. Dv failure and misfires will always be a common problem, but pretty cheap fixes or upgrades if you would like too, audi R8 coilpacks are around $100 and the revised DV is about $80 and is about a 15 minute install. Carbon build up is always present on and DI engine which most engines are nowadays. TCT failure was common up until 2012 i think, until VW revised the tensioner. Oil pumps were notorious for the fsi motor 2005-2009, just make sure you are always topped off on oil and change it every 3k-5k you shouldn't have a problem. Owning a VW sucks maintenance wise, but if you know what you're doing and are not doing 0-60 every stop and go you should be in the clear. Really most of those issues are from those who beat the living piss out of their cars

Unbelievable that a quick stage 1 ecu flash can do that much performance wise

This.
It's the same reason a typical Subaru shitbox has appealing performance and crap fuel economy.

Maybe instead of disengaging the rear wheels they should be disengaging the front wheels.

But then it would no longer be practical.

Maybe it makes absolutely no real world difference what so ever, except to the ill informed idea of a bench racer who tries desperately hard to find an equally ill informed article that agrees with their view.

>needs new headers and a new turbo at 125k
>reliable
I'm not sure we have the same definition of that word, brother

>American Car

>Buying an American Car
Nigga the RS is built in Germany

>FWD

>n-notice my car, normies!
Fucking fag lmao

>Buying overpriced car from subaru
>Ancient engine with headgasket issues

I heard Golf R owners are in a remorse after buying it. True anyone?

nigga they changed to FB engine with new WRX
>git gud

focus

half the golfs that come into my work have check engine lights on

they are peasant's first euro

It's a test drive car. As in, it's fun as hell the first time you drive it because it's such a competent car, but it'll get very boring very fast because it doesn't really demand much from you. There's nothing really interesting about it.

The Focus is very similar, but because it can pull much harder turns and is a much better backroad and track car with a nicer gearshift, it keeps the adrenaline pumping a little longer.

Hmm take an old Volvo lump and turbo it to the point of unreliability then stick it in a chaved up Focus with an under speced diff and slap a Meme badge on the back. That will get the sheeple to buy it.

That was the last RS faggot. The new one has a Mazda engine.

both cars are nice but for the money you could have a mustang GT or Camaro SS. The RS is the better car over the Gold R. But ford went full retard with those prices.

And since it never snows here have 450 hp, and better tires, the SS will be faster on the track.

CIVICuck BTFO

Ford, never touching VW shit again

Ford.

I despise VW as company and hate their design language.

>all those fordcucks

Look at all you poor small dicked faggot. Go back to touching yourself to cartoons and leave the cars to real men.

>take an old Volvo lump and turbo it to the point of unreliability

Mk4 GTI owner here. I'd pick the focus RS. My buddy had a 2012 "fuckus" and it was a pretty fun car. It looks way better than the new golf's do.VW really let the styling go after the MK4. It has no personality at all and it's so bland and bloat compared to the tiny size they use to be.

I love how small my mk4 is but when i went to go consider trading it for a newer one I couldn't get past how large the new ones are.

The issue here is not how it behaves in traffic, but at the limit you're going to be stressing the RDU strongly because you have to constantly engage RWD to keep the torque vectoring going to the rear wheels to counteract the understeer of the car's 60/40 distribution and the high moment of inertia that this entails.

An RWD-based system that occasionally sends power to the front wheels when countering oversteer or to pre-emptively stop oversteer is going to be a lot more reliable, they've been proven in Group N and Group A for endurance and touring car competitions in the R32 GT-R.