In what circumstances should you turn overdrive off?

In what circumstances should you turn overdrive off?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=soJea7xEt-8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Low traction

When EcoBoost kicks in

pulling a trailer uphill

Downhill
Towing

Überdrive

The way I understood it was that OD was your final gear so I guess you'd turn it off to race?
Idk. I've never owned an auto.

>overdrive
I only use it if I'm going 70mph+ 4th works just fine 90% of the time.

Doesn't having overdrive on improve gas mileage?

>those people that think the Overdrive button makes their car faster

It's lower RPMs. So kinda.
I drive a stick, so OD is my 5th gear.

Regardless of whether it is a manual or automatic all OD is, is another gear that has a slightly lower ratio than what is otherwise your highest gear.

Sometimes an autotragic can get stuck in OD because of a bad solenoid, whereas manualcucks usually won't realized their [insert number of gears] speed is actually just a [insert number of gears -1] speed with OD. Only turn it off if your tranny is slipping or has problems, otherwise who cares?

>manual
>OD

pick one.

This.
The ONLY time it's necessary to turn overdrive off is if your vehicle is experiencing a greater than usual load at highway speed (eg; towing a trailer or climbing a long hill) to the point where the transmission is constantly hunting between gears. Otherwise, leave it on. It's just another gear that'll otherwise be selected when appropriate.

Do you know what overdrive means you massive idiot?
> hint: my manual has an overdrive

>commenting on something you don't understand
>being a complete fuckwit

Pick two.

So just to clarify:
>driving through mountains, towing a trailer = OD off
Correct?

>autotragic
>manualcucks
Do you drive a car without a gearbox?

Yes, you need those torks.

>both

Its any gear with a ratio numerically lower than 0.99:1 senpai

>what is CVT
I'm a manualcuck honestly

>Tesla

Only if it's struggling to maintain top gear and constantly hunting in my opinion, which in that case it probably would be.

They still have gearboxes.

Actually .99 or lower but you got the true definition of overdrive.

Drive is a 1/1 or near to that ratio, overdrive is anything less than that, 3/4 etc...

Most Six speeds have two overdrives.

When you need to shift the vehicle out of it's overdrive gear to something lower for more torque and power.

>buying a car to not drive it
Also
>being a closet autotragic

>>what is CVT
>not knowing half of automatic cars are CVT

Did you even read what I was replying to?
Also
>calling a CVT an AT
Next you'll be calling an electronically controlled manual transmission an automatic. (Which is closer to being true desu.)

What I was trying to say is that CVT cars are often labeled as automatic.

Passing on the highway

This is true. I hope the CVT meme dies.

This

Keeps you from struggling uphill and gives you some engine braking downhill.

Turn?
If you don't want it don't select it..

OP here

So I drive an 04 Sorento, what would be the optimal time/MPH to turn off overdrive on the highway?

Did you even read the posts itt?

I did, and I'm getting the impression that the overdrive gear depends on the model but is GENERALLY around 70mph. I was asking if anyone knew the specific gear for my model

Dumbass

>They still have gearboxes.

Yes and no. They have a single, fixed ratio gearbox. No selectable gears, no reverse (just spin the motor the other way), no clutch, fluid coupling or torque converter.

Are you really that dumb? A flat highway at 70mph is the last time you want to turn overdrive off.

If you have your car loaded with 5 people and a uhaul trailer on back, and you're driving through the mountains of Colorado and the car is struggling in high gear going uphill but picking up speed really fast downhill, that is when you might want to turn it off.

it keeps your engine from blowing up

the most retarded thing people do, and it is the number one silent killer of engines, is add throttle on a high gear at low RPM
there is a specific term for this, but ic ant think of it at the moment

its called lugging your engine

and the main purpose of disabling OD is to prevent doing this

My mom's 89 GMC suburban has overdrive. It's a gear basically for pulling trailers, assuming this is a truck, let's say yours is a 6 speed. It has 6 gears, but the final gear is overdrive. Really overdrive is just a cruising gear, and only comes in to play on highway speeds. It's meant to keep you rolling while also using the least amount of fuel possible. Pulling a trailer, racing, ect, it basically eliminates the last gear (when overdrive is off) to use more fuel for more power and speed. You don't wanna use fuel, just feelin like cruisin, turn overdrive on, all it does is enable that 6thgear for lower rpms at the same speed. Source, I drive a 5 speed overdrive. I can get 200 miles before my tank empties, I use that overdrive gear and I can get 300+ miles, as long as I don't drive it like a fuckin bat outta hell. If you're that worried about gas, keep overdrive on. If it isn't that big of a deal and you don't mind the motor being at slightly higher rpms, don't worry about turning it on.

Hyundai fixed the need for this 15 years ago.

>silent killer of engines
How so?

Turn off when towing or "hunting"
Downhill varies by grade.

There are no other correct answers.

youtube.com/watch?v=soJea7xEt-8

OD is always on in modern automatic cars, quick summary is that is helps increase gas milage. But it should be turned off when towing or going up a long long uphill grade because it prevents the tranny from switching into the "optimal gear". The constant switching causes the fluid to heat up and over a long trailer haul, or long hill it could burn the fluid then destroy the tranny.

in any modern car with anti knock ecu features lugging at low speed isnt a problem

I know. EE even says that at the end of the video.

yeah whatever. thanks

actually i wouldnt bet on that

opening throttle on low rpm, especially with lots of towing weight, is something that will fuck your engine up if you keep doing it. a typical trip across state is enough to do it as you encounter more than a few situations of going uphill in high gear

the entire western half of the united states is mountainous too

over relatively short time, its more than enough to destroy your engine. and thats assuming "anti knock" is even effective.

retards in trucks floor it uphill while in final gear all the time. this does offer premature engine wear

you are supposed to disable your OD if you want more power while going uphill, rather than taking your foot off the gas and losing momentum to force that automatic downshift.

this is the number one purpose for disabling OD.

Spirited drive through the nasho