Drive shitty ass 95 lebaron convertible

>drive shitty ass 95 lebaron convertible
>giving my friend a ride
>hear a crashing sound and a thud, car starts dragging
>pull over to the side of the road
>see this

This flew half a block from where it initially happened

now my car is parked on a random street in my neighborhood til i get paid friday and i have to pay my roommate to drive me to school

what the fuck happened and how much is this gonna cost me?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cEK6SZ3b0wo
polybushings.com/pages/1080install.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If you get the springs yourself, labor alone will be like $300. Plus springs are like $140 a pair and thats for like the cheapest shit possible. Might as well spend extra cash and upgrade to stiffer springs

fuck, seriously? I live in a smaller area not like a big city or anything

why so much? what even happened that caused this?

thats like 75% of my paycheck

Springs are dangerous and take a lot of time depending on vehicle. Someone has to use a spring compressor tool to get them in place and install them without dying (springs under tension can fly off and decapitate you) so they charge a pretty penny to install them.

Wtf

How'd this thing even come off?

Forget the spring man those shoes are atrocious.

they aren't mine

From your pic, it looks super fucking old so it did pic related and shot off where it was seated. If your vehicles spring location is like mine, ther is nothing holding it in there except the lowet control arm pushing it upwards into a recessed hole. If i squeeze pic related any harder itll fling out if my fingers because of the tension.

Man my 17 year old brother sold me this piece of shit ass car ("Hey bro its only got 60,000 miles and only was driven 1 winter) when I was desperate for a cheap car and its such a piece of fucking shit. i'm fixing this thing and selling it immediately.

How much did you pay for it?

$1000, and it has some fucked up shit (cracked windshield, body damage, radio is pos, air bags have been deployed

I still owe him $400 for it actually. I think im just not gonna pay him and whoop his ass instead.

> Airbags deployed
Nigga i would've paid $500 for that piece of shit. I paid $500 for my first s10 all it needed was a tune up. And the previous owners didn't know how to drive manual. It has a clean title. No accidents, and it had 150k miles when i got it

>Can of Pitch Black Mt. Dew

You're alright, user.

I also have a shitty 90s v6 lebaron I'd love to sell you for $1000. Springs are fine. Got my eye on an 89 2.5t 5 speed near me.

Well so far I've only paid $600 and im going to my parents house when no ones home and taking the title along with my gameboy he stole from me and not paying him

>Only got 60,000 miles

lol does it have a 5 digit odometer? I bet it's rolled over a couple times.

Its 20 years old, springs are a wear items

Mine lasted 8yrs

Get over yourself poorfag

The owner before him was a family friend that was a 95 year old women that was too old to drive. supposedly only drove it to the grocery store and church every week

my only regret is that i didnt fucking die when this shit happened today.

it's never too late to kill yourself

So can I use this old spring and put it back in?? why or why not.

no, the exact same thing is gonna happen

that's a rear spring isn't it? it's not damaged but since the car is old, it could have sagged a bit, thus loosened and flown off

spring clamps cost 30$ or just rent them.
1.Jack up car
2.take wheel off
3.place spring where it belongs
i'm not even kidding. old cars are so easy

yup, rear

hey, thats easy as fuck, i learned how to do basically all of that in basic auto in highschool

so its not gonna cost me $300 than?

On old lebaron its just sandwiched in place.

>inb4 OP blows his face off with a Harbor Freight spring compressor

No, but whatever was supposed to be keeping the spring attached to the body needs replacing

Why would you need a spring compressor for rear springs on an old Lebaron.

thanks for verifying that

yeah, but you might want to get another spring. i'd just snap it back in to place and drive away because shitboxes are awesome like that

You mother fuckers are really going to tell op to RE install that old ass spring himself when its pretty damn abvious OP isn't very mechically inclined? You guys are dicks. Yes OP renting a spring clamp will cost you $30 but putting on will take a while and it is dangerous and it could be wuite difficult depending on your vehicles setup. Also youre installing an old ass spring that will do the same shit again eventually. I'm not talking out my ass either ive replaced coil springs and theyre a pain in the ass to get in there properly. I don't take pictures of my jobs, but i have done it and it can be scary.
Pic unrelated only picture i have of that job is my leaf springs

Thank you

I wish I was more of a mechanic, my dad always gets really pissed at me when doing car shit for me but never taught me when i was younger

Nigga are those Merral Mocs in camp?

Indid some light research for you OP, if you are up for the task, at least do it right. I found a set of moog rear springs for your vehicle for $50 a pair. First i suggest looking at some repair guides online, and watching some youtube videos on changing a coil spring, it doenst have to be yoyr car, aslong as you get a basic understanding of what it takes to replace coil springs you can do it. Its just a matter of figuring out your car and what you have to do to rpelace them which can be pretty easy if you already have a basic understanding of what needs to be out fo your way and what needs to be where. I suggest taking a picture before starting. Rent a spring compressor tool from autozone (make sure you get the right one for your car. I rented conpressor tool that didn't fit well on my truck and had to return it and get a different type that fit properly, wasting a lot of time) then you remove the old spring which should be pretty easy. (I removed my old springs with a 4' pry bar because they were old and soft as fuck.) Then you just install the new springs using the spring compressor tool (please please search up how to USE A SPRING CONPRESSOR TOOL SAFELY I REPEAT SAFELY.) Those things can be dangerous so don't treat it like a toy. Do not tackle this job if you feel like you cant handle it, because a vehicles suspension is not something to fuck up. The consequences can be very bad. Just google your springs on your vehicle make and model. The moog springs i saw were $50 a pair online.

This.

The spring might be OK, but the bracket it sat in (probably welded to the axle) is gone or damaged.

Look at the other side to see how things should fit.

Nah, I don't fuck with springs. If I can't get a whole strut assembly I'll just pay a shop to do it. I try to do all my own work, but I draw the line at that.

removing the spring on my lancer wagon was a job i'd rate a 0.5/10 since it fell out when i touched it but not all cars are japanese. of course, it's good to be safe but you have to start somewhere.

but thanks for being the voice of reason here. if you saw how i work, you'd never listen to my advice.

Op, if the setup looks like pic related then it's not so hard

Yeah, when i changed my springs i was pretty fucking scared to be honest. I heard so many storeis and seen videos of springs flying out the clamps and wrecking random shit, and or killing or seriously injuring people. When i was installing the new stiff ass springs. I was literally fucking sweating and my heart was pumping fast as fuck as i was trying to fucking wrestle the damn spring into fucking place. I wish it was as simple as slipping the new spring in, and taking off the clamp, but fuck that you have to FUMBLE the fucking spring into place, and it has to seat properly, and then you have to mate the 2 controle arms (my case) together in order to hold the spring in place. All while making sure the spring doesnt fall out of place, and slowly decompressing the spring tool. Next time im just paying a shop to do it. Fuck all that noise took me hours.

>>jack car up
>>put spring back in
>>ziptie/ratchet strap into place
It's a piece of shit and you're poor. Fuck it.

This is a dangerous repair, i hate using spring compressors. make damn sure the clamps are even and secure. Don't half ass or rush this

it can be made safe by knocking out the strut that holds the axle then putting it back in place

right? i never put the car back together but i have a pretty good understanding of what i was doing

Don't think it would make it safer, it may make it less safe because you need to jack up car, remove strut, install spring. lower car, but not all the way bottom out spring, remove clamps, then raise car again to install shock. It may give you more room to work with but lots of care full jack movement.

The spring should have never fallen out there must be some kind of severe rust problem or something else going on under that car. On Jeeps you can flex the suspension out so much a coil spring can fall out but i never heard of it happening on a car.

youtube.com/watch?v=cEK6SZ3b0wo

Its a 30 years old chrysler

it still shouldn't have fallen out.

OP might get lucky though might just have to jack the corner up the car up enough to slide the coil back in then set it back down. Coils usually have a tab that clamps the spring to the axle so if the suspension unloads it cant fall out. Might wanna wrap bailing wire around it or at least some duct tape.

OP here, this is what im more confused by.

Why the fuck did it fall out?

My dads cousin is a great mechanic who my family turns to for everything. He always does good work and is super cheap.

He hasn't looked at it yet but says hes never heard of this and has no idea why it'd come out like that.

dunno but first thing popped up on google, loos pretty simple if this is the setup

polybushings.com/pages/1080install.html

It's a 30 years old Chrysler. Count yourself lucky it is just the coilspring and not the transmission that fell off.

>Why the fuck did it fall out?

How the fuck would we know?
Go look at it, your 30 year old Chrysler is a piece of shit.

When i was a kid my parents had this old POS chevy cavalier station wagon. My dad took the shocks off of it (cause they were new) to put on another chevy cavalier. So the car was sitting in the driveway and the ass end bounced like mad because it was coil sprung with no fucking shocks.

So of course being a dumbass kid i thought it would be fun to jump up and down on the bumper. It was fun i could have probably put mexican low riders to shame with how much i was making the ass of that car hop. Then the coil springs popped out. My dad was pissed off and had to jack the back of the car up to shove them back in so the junkyard tow truck could come tow it off.

Might wanna make sure your shocks are good OP if there is no oil left in them it could bounce around enough to pop one out.

Check the spring mounts top and bottom. One or both is probably rusted so badly that it can't hold the spring in.

If it looks like pic replated, time to scrap...

Messing with springs is no joke. I used a wall mount compressor for my MacPherson and managed to have the top hat with 3, inch long studs shoot into my face with the full power of the compressed spring. A few lacerations, 13 stitches later you'd never be able to tell.

Be smart, plan all the steps out and just take your time. It's not hard, just know what you need to do before you attempt it.

This is probably it though, one of the spring perches probably shit the bed

>95 lebaron convertible
OK that'll be one of the rear springs then. It doesn't look damaged so should be reusable.

Thing is, it came out for a reason. The only thing that holds the rear springs in on these cars is that the spring is longer than the allowed suspension travel and the suspension travel is limited by the shock. My be is that one of the rear shocks came loose and allowed the rear axle to droop enough to allow the spring out. Repair could be as easy as reinstalling the spring and reattaching the shock. Might have to buy a (cheap) shock to get fasteners quickly and easily though.

Jeses fuck guys springs don't just fall out while driving around normally.

OP you need to figure out why it popped out before you do anything else.

>freaking out this much over a fucking spring
just buy a fucking strut with a spring on it and replace you fag