How do i setup this thing for touring? (honda ruckus)

how do i setup this thing for touring? (honda ruckus)

I want to ride it to argentina.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=hm8t5WWYctI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Swap in ecoboost

also do scooters go here or /n/

Egoboost

this is a thread for serious 49cc touring discussion only pls

Drop a 1600cc toyota w/dry sump in there.
Haul tofu.

Busa swap

pls respond

Dorito swap

Bigger fuel tank? Comfy ass seat? Lots of bags?

Just took muh scoot over to check out this new house I got. Stoked on the garage, lots of room to do sikk mawds to the scoot.

>Bigger fuel tank?
is there a reason to have bigger fuel tank instead of just carrying fuel?
>comfy seat
eh. ive done +5000 miles of bicyle touring on pic related. as far as im concerned this is a rolling lounge chair.
>lots of bags
where do they go though, other than under the seat

sry i know next to nothing about motorcycle touring

>feels like a lounge chair

I bet ur azz tak a punden

the stock ruckus seat is comparatively comfy, is what i meant

I'm sure an extra can would be fine considering the ~1.5gal tanks in those scoots will get you 200mi.

I'm sure you could just strap a bunch of shit over the rear wheel. My Zuma actually has a lot of storage already which is nice but I'm sure you could strap tons of stuff to the frame on that Ruckus.

also, literally never even rode a moto or scooter. i read somewhere that holding the throttle open for long periods of time will suck. is that true/does it have an easy fix?

I can understand why that would suck since you will have it pinned the whole time. I'm sure you could easily fuck with the spring in the throttle so it barely takes any pressure to turn. Not like it's that bad to begin with, but sometimes it does get annoying with 30min+ of full throttle and your wrist twisted.

>I'm sure you could just strap a bunch of shit over the rear wheel.
is that going to affect handling? on a bicycle i lke to have as much weight as possible up front. also nothing hanging over the sides if possible or aero reasons.

How much are you trying to carry? I mean the things are designed to hold two people, so as long as you aren't a lard ass I would't worry about strapping ~100lbs worth of shit to it.

The Ruckus is really popular. I'm sure you could find some sort of saddle bags to strap to the side so you could at least keep a lot of the weight low and then strap the bigger stuff to the back.

Key will be keeping everything light as possible. I'd go with an aluminum rack and soft bags. Pack light, and invest in lightweight camping setup. You'll also need a much larger fuel tank: I'd fill out the whole under seat area. Last, look into raising the gearing. I assume there are off-the-shelf solutions for cheap.

Do that and no-joke it's very doable. I toured Southeast Asia for 6 months on an anemic 100cc Chinese shitbike and it was a blast. Just make sure you plan your route to avoid fast highways.

P.s. I'm leaving from Canada in a few days headed to Argentina on a 350 motorbike; wouldn't want to do it on less than 200, but certainly could.

Wouldn't a motorcycle be better honestly?

The only long-distance touring bro I know crossed the USA on a Honda Metro. He carried a 1gal plastic gas can under his seat.

I was just thinkin too, if the Ruckus is anything like mine, I'm sure you could get some stiffer springs for cheap and swap them over real quick if you think you are going to load it down.

How do you guys get the money to tour a country? especially for 6 months
it's always something i wanted to do

>Forgot these exist
>Live in shitty San Francisco with shitty parking
>Have to get M2 license anyways because it's considered a moped

Sounds like too much work if you're required an M2

Thanks. I have a lightweight gear already from bike touring. Where do I find aftermarket parts? a couple quick google searches didnt find what i wanted, but maybe i dont know what to look for.
>You'll also need a much larger fuel tank
why tho. i should get at least 100 miles on a tank as is, and i can carry a can. seems like change out the tank isnt worth the trouble/expense, unless im missing something.
> Last, look into raising the gearing.
why?
with food and water and everything im usually carrying 40-50 max on a bicycle. considering heavier motorcycle tools and some extra comfort items, ill probably have about 60-70 on the scooter

m.youtube.com/watch?v=hm8t5WWYctI
You'd like this

Gy6 stroker 150cc swap and some long fucking sprockets
You'll get 85-90 top mph

i cant speak for motorcycle touring, but bicycle touring in 3rd world countries is honestly the cheapest way to travel. plenty of dudes do it for years on end for 10 dollars a day, 30 is more reasonable for comfort. you can save up enough for a 6 month trip in a year or 2 working a shit job. motorcycle touring might actually be cheaper since gas$

objectively, yes, but i like the low speed and minimalism of a scooter. one thing i liked about bicycle touring is that you have to work for it, i dont like the idea of being able to bang out 500 miles a day.

Scooters go in the trash

v cool. well now I know it can be done right

Don't be so jelly

How much would i need to save up for 3-6 months of touring? can i get a estimate?

>jelly
>of that
lol

Should've gotten a Grom.

I know, it hurts. You can pick up cheap Chinese scoots for

scooters go to

>he's so insecure in his own sexuality that he won't ride a scooter

Depends heavily on area and tolerance for discomfort. Eating nothing but ramen and camping in the bushes? 5 dollars a day, 900 for 6 months. Motel or campground every night and restaurants while in the US? 100/day. Like I said, I think 30/day is a good balance for a first world country. That means mostly camping, sometimes campground, sometimes town park, sometimes bushes, and a meal a day in a resturant. But in southeast asia for example, 30 a day would get you all 3 meals in restaurants and a motel every other night.

I would suggest saving for a little longer and having a comfortable budget. It sucks feeling guilty every time you buy a McChicken

I live cheap when not traveling. Try my best to avoid all bills.

$5/day NO WAY. You have to budget for things that get lost/stolen. Stuff like new socks (they get nasty!). Washing clothes. Repairs. Oil. Gas. Food. Occasional hotel. Water. I did a major spreadsheet because I want to do a motorcycle trip to the south tip of South America. I checked gas prices, food, hotel (for the occasional shower etc), cost of parts, ferries etc etc. It would be closer to $15/day being FRUGAL once it's all said and done.

how does it stack up to the ruckas?

It's a motorcycle

You can buy them brand new for $650

I'm talking about bicycle touring, as I have no experience with motorcycles, and I promise you there are people who do it for 5 dollars a day.

I'd say $30 a day is what you'd target for developing country travel, but activities will be on top of that.

In the first world, it depends entirely on how you travel. For cheap, camp and eat McDonalds. Having a motorbike will DRAMATICALLY lower your costs in any developed country, since public transport is expensive.

Would it be a good idea to get a tiny camper for your tent?

cheap neet is best life

>south america
isn't that a really good way to get robbed and or murdered?

...although in cheap developing countries (South Asia, Central America, parts of Africa) you could comfortably just chill in one place for $15 a day, $20 if you really like to drink and eat well.

If you live in the usa how would you get your motorcycle overseas? how e

Maybe? I was talking about bicycling. Tbh i dont know what advantages the camper would have over a tent. and it would probably knock your gas mileage in half. and its kinda ghey

If you live in the usa how would you get your motorcycle overseas? how expensive would it be?

>it would probably knock your gas mileage in half
good point but it would give extra storage and be easier

Lmao no. Tens of thousands of people have done it.

I can only imagine how much it hurts, but if you work hard maybe someday you'll be able to afford a real motorcycle.

>trying to pull a trailer on the muddy, rocky, shit roads of under developed countries and up hills/mountains
Have fun with that.

>easier
setting up your tent takes like a minute after youve been doing it or few weeks.
>more storage
what would you do with the stuff when you are sleeping?

idk, ive met lots of moto tourists and ive never seen one pulling one of those. plus, if you were same guy concerned about budget, i would wager that costs a lot more than even a top of the line tent.

ship it.
>how expensive would it be?
few hunnid

Okay guys you git a point that would suck fot motorcycles

From where to Argentina?

oklahoma

I'd say $20 is plenty

How will you get around the Darien gap?

ferry. it goes from somewhere in panama to cartagena i think

How would you do that on a scooter that only goes 35 mph?

>How would you do that on a scooter that only goes 35 mph?
i rode 4000 miles from edmonton canada to the southern point of baja california on a bicycle that only went 14 mph.

see

Well if you're traveling in the Americas you can just drive.

But what a lot of people don't seem to realize is that you can just show up in a country, buy a motorcycle, drive around, and sell when you leave.

My plan-A, since I like to do things the hard/scenic way, is yo catch locals ferries around the Pacific side, hopping from small village to village. Motorcycle is small enough that I should that'll be possible, but I'll find for sure when I'm there.

Once of the advantages of a scooter would be ease of getting it around the gap.

Fuck yeah nigga, heal yeah muhfukka

another cool option would be talking yoru way onto a private gringo yacht. its how i got from southern baja cali to the mexican mainland. It was super easy for me, I went to the local yacht club and put up a note on the bulletin board and got two calls the next day. Probably a lot harder to find one that can fit a motorcycle but potentially doable.

There's a ferry from Cabo to the mainland, so no worries there.

I've heard that the Panamanian government has been really cracking down on gringo yachts taking vehicles to Colombia. Dunno why they'd care.

the ferry is actually from la paz, about 200km to the north.

Is it worth also checking out Cabo (dunno if you did)?

Also how's camping in Mexico?

Just wire tie the throttle fully open once you get going.

Did you need a passport or to pay them?

I prefer to keep my motorscycle

Well besides that what makes it better?

anyone else wish motorscyles/scooters had them like this?

I'm always thinking that when I'm on the scoot. My waverunners had the thumb switch, it was nice.

yeah it seems much better

No thumb throttles are fucked.

Meh. This bike I bought for pan-American trip (DR350SE) I won't be binging back since it's not worth the cost. It'll either end up in a jungle somewhere, or hopefully tell to another traveler at the end.

I think I remember those from ATVs as a kid.

What's wrong with them?

don't you have to register and insure them?

Why do you not have a proper motorcycle for the journey? Seems like that would be a lot better

Also I don't like scooters for anything longer than in town. All that high rpm makes me nervous

passport? baja cali is in mexico. its mexico to mexico. no i didnt pay, though it could be different for you. its literally just some guy witha yacht taking you accross

?

The bike I'm taking is registered (in Canada in my name, since I'm Canadian) and will be insured along the way where it's required.

If you buy a bike in another country you'll just have it registered (and insured if necessary) in a locals name (probably whoever you bought it from). If you're paranoid get them to write a letter saying you're their long-lost-cousin-twice-removed and they're letting you ride their bike around.

I didnt go that far. 200km each way is no small deal on a bicycle... part of the reason i want to try mototouring, more freedom for side excursions like that. Tbh i didnt hear good things about it. Its a beach resort town. If youre the kind of guy that wants to do a transcontinental motorcycle tour, its probably not your scene.

Did you camp through Baja? (and other parts of Mexico?)

I dont even have the scooter, im planning on buying it. I like the idea of a scooter because after bicycle touring, riding a proper motorcycle at 75mph on the highway feels like cheating. The scooter seems like a nice compromise.

If i was going to travel i would get a street legal dirt bike it seems like the best

A small (~100-150cc) motorcycle would be much better IMO. The manual transmission is what you want where it's hilly and you need to use engine braking a lot, and it'll be much better over shitty third-world roads (little scooter tires suck).

This would be the ideal bike for third world travel - best combination of light, powerful, and reliable money can buy - but too expensive to risk in a kleptocratic shithole country.

Oh yeah sorry i missed that. Yeah you can camp wherever the hell you want in baja, its very safe, especially the farther south you get. Literally just pull off the road, nothin but desert in between towns. A few times I found some secluded beaches a mile or two off the highway. Sometimes I slept behind peoples houses (with permission of course) because the deserts fukn lonely. Also there are little beach gringo communities all over the place full of American and Canadian retirees. Pull up to one and ask to camp, once I smoked weed and played poker with a bunch of old ladies. Or a motel is going to be 20ish. There is a very nice campground for 5 a night in Loreto. Cant remember the name but its in the center of town and probably the only one

...that or an underbone, but none are sold in the US AFAIK.

I would just get a cheap one

>but too expensive to risk in a kleptocratic shithole country.
meh. Most of the motorcycle tourists in mexico were on $20k BMWs. I know its full of brown people, but latin america isnt as scary as you imagine. Just get insurance that covers that sort of thing