JEEPERS CREEPERS- Fixing up an old CJ

>>/k/31332254
Doesn't turn on. Gears are rusty as shit. As someone who does a decent (500km per year) amount of length offroading, a CJ5-7 would be amazing and there is one just sitting in my buddy's garage rusting away for the past 15 years.
It doesn't turn on and has a decent amount of "garage" rust from the humid summers and cold winters. What's the first thing to start doing to this walking thermite mixture to even get it started?

pic of hood underneath since not on my phone right now

Ok, by the looks of things, it's more work than the jeep's worth. Look on craigslist for one, you'd be better off.

If the body's OK, look for a totalled one and drop in the engine.

Start by turning the crank by hand. If it turns, check the fluid levels spray some starting fluid down the carb and try starting it, you'll probably need to put in a fresh battery at least temporarily. If it seems like it wants to run change the oil coolant and fuel (syphon old gas out as completely as possible, put in at least 5 gallons of fresh maybe even premium possibly with some fuel system cleaner in there. See if it'll go into gear and move a bit just enough to see if the brakes work (check brake fluid levels) then grease the shit out of anything creaky. Be on the lookout for fuel lines to bust. Change radiator hoses.

Just found one of these in the woods behind my house, it wants to start but I don't think it has any fuel

I agree. That master cylinder alone looks like its a stiff wind away from vaporizing. Was the air filter already gone when you lifted the hood or did you guys remove it?

Thats a webber carb someone liked that jeep enough to put it on there.

>didn't check the fluids before trying to start it
RIP jeep

>What's the first thing to start doing to this walking thermite mixture to even get it started?

Well the gas tank is probably shot they were steel and rust. First ting i would do is put a battery in it dump some fuel down the carb and see if it will fire. If it does start replacing fuel lines and possibly the fuel tank.

If the jeeps frame and body are rusted out it's not worth fucking with though. Take more pix of the jeep frame and body im a jeep lover i will tell you if it's worth saving or not.

I'll try to put up the same thread on Sunday when I'm back in his area but take more detailed shit

Oh. That's what we planned on doing. Maybe replace one quarter panel at a time along with the engine AND transmission. Clutch and stick feel fine but didn't want to touch it more than that.

What's the crank and how does one turn it? Yu mean those old cranks necessary to start vehicles in the 20s?

How do you check for fuel line bursts without possibly killing yourself and everyone around it?
Why radiator hose changes?

Lol we didn't do shit. So it definitely needs a new engine and not a top problem, eh?

A lot to ask. But can you save the picture and indicate where you see that? Is the Weber carb worth salvaging?

>A lot to ask. But can you save the picture and indicate where you see that? Is the Weber carb worth salvaging?

Jeep 258's were notorious for shitty carbs the Weber carb was a popular replacement you can tell because of the air filter housing its small and rectangular. They are about $300 new and that ones been sitting so long it probably needs rebuilt but it is a good carb.

That bay looks like the pipes screensaver

that poor child

i hope he gets taken away by cps for abuse

>So it definitely needs a new engine and not a top problem, eh?

That engine is probably fine, but then again why did someone park it for 15 years?

It looks like a 81-86 CJ7 and judging from what little i can see of it it don't seem to badly rusted. I would really like to see more pictures but i hope that it can be made derivable again i have a soft spot in my heart for CJ's

Fuck, I would spend so much time staring at that

>Gears are rusty as shit

What do you mean the gears are rusty as shit?

85-87 CJ7. That's pretty impressive by looking at the hood! He parked it there since he got a BMW 7 series and stopped going out when the kids turned 10 and older. Then the financial thing happened and he couldn't sink more money into the thing to keep it operational.

I've known this guy for 4 years and only saw the jeep when I was like "oh I could use those set of Wrangler tyres for my Ranger. We pulled the tarp out and there was an entire Jeep sitting in there.

I do too which is why I took this picture. Plus I can drive alone on the railroad tracks at night and when I can't find a train, just yell: "All you had to do was follow the damn train, CJ".

Lol. Can confirm.

Ah so not worth it really that much - especially since replacements aren't really that big of a deal.

Also confused about this
D-does he mean the crank?

More the drive train and axels. Though, those are just steel beams and I think the newer Wranglers have similar axels to replace so that might work.

already, it looks like it's going to be 5 times more expensive than getting one off the internet. however, this one does have a maximum speed of 140 which means i can take this up north on camping shit and pull 135s in this unlike other offroaders

Also, if a car's maximum speed is 140, can it ACTUALLY go up to 140 or does it just top out at 130 and you're revving so hard that you should stop?

Why wouldn't you be able to go to the max speed ? are you 12 ? or just ameritard ?

Both. You answered your question with your question senpai.

Also, lemme reword: should you go 140 for 5+ hours if the car's maximum speed is 140?

>straight six
Should have gotten an AMC V8