So this is probably one of the stupidest ideas ever...

So this is probably one of the stupidest ideas ever. But is it at all possible/feasible to have a car that is both auto as well as manual???

Like sometimes a man wants the interactivity of the manual and to feel the gears shifting under his hand. But other times I am driving cross country for 17 hours straight and would just like to be able to have both hands on the wheel not worrying about the tranny.

Does such a magical system already exist? Is it at all feasible to create such a system (perhaps installing a second transmission into the car)?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/aFvj6RQOLtM
youtube.com/watch?v=6N4tLAAy5Fg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Don't some DCTs have an automatic mode.

It's not practical. You'd need two transmissions essentially, unless you want to pay for the R&D to develop a system for shifting a mt automatically.

you can get an auto with paddle shifters or a select shift mode

even back in the day they have the hurst shift kits where you slap the shifter to change gears

Saab made a manual with an automatic clutch but apparently it was a nightmare to park.

I mean it shouldn't be so hard should it? It would probably be the opposite. Making an auto tranny with the option to shut down the auto part of it.

Granted I know barely anything about transmissions in general. Perhaps I should start learning.

Oh yeah paddle shifts are so good with the 5 seconds delay.

what you want is probably a dual clutch transmission, except with a traditional gated shifter instead of paddles.

no such thing exists

There's dual clutch transmissions also ferrari and bmw as well as some other manufactures made "automated manuals".

Dual clutch is a real manual transmission but has a computer that changes between two clutches, one clutch is for the odd gears and one for the even. The automated manuals were actual single clutch transmissions with a computerized mechanism that shifted for you. They were shit and phased out quickly. They have "manual" mode as well as automatic but the computer still controls everything.

The reverse is easier.
A self-shifting manual.

Yeah that's not how a MT works lol. You could have the shitty fake ones that some cars have but it's not the same. Do some reading on how transmissions work and you'll see why what you're asking, at least for a real manual trans, isn't really feasible.

>driving cross country for 17 hours straight and would just like to be able to have both hands on the wheel not worrying about the tranny

They are called freeways and there's not a lot of shifting to do. Autos really only shine in stop and go traffic.

>driving cross country for 17 hours straight
You wouldn't be shifting it anyway, since you'd hopefully be going at a constant speed.

Put a stick on top of an Eaton Autoshift and there's your answer.

not with dsg...but with slush-tronic yeah

Holy shit guys. OP here and man am I retarded. Not necessarily for asking the question but I've just spent like half an hour watching videos on how trannies work and I've learnt nothing. Like yeah, gears spinning. I already understood that much before. Fuck I feel stupid.

Anyone know of a good guide to trying to understand how an auto trans works for dummies?

3D model YouTube videos are your best bet desu mate. Transmissions are complicated. I wouldn't expect anyone who is knew to mechanics to understand it after 30 minutes. Just keep yourself immersed in how cars works for a few days or weeks and it'll start coming together.

Had a rental Chevy cruze with the auto w/ manual selection. Shifts were fine and responsive.

It's easy user, just press start, then options, then pick manual

No, you either have a proper manual, or an automagic with flappy paddles or a +/- section on the shift gate.

Manual isn't hard, once you've got a bit of practice in you don't worry about what gear you're supposed to be in etc. You're not usually shifting gears if you're maintaining a constant speed anyway.

Lightning Rods

>Dual clutch is a real manual transmission
No it isn't, where do you retards get these definitions. A manual defined by a user operated clutch

How would you classify the aston vulcan. it has a flappy paddle and also a clutch pedal for use at low speeds

An electronically controlled dual clutch transmission is user operated. The user being a computer.
An automatic transmission shifts itself between gears. That is, the tranny does the shifting.

Yes, will anyone spend the time or money to do it? probably not. Why not? you could make a computer program that pulls info from the ecu about speed rpm etc, then create some kind of mechanical device to push the clutch pedal down that is control by this extra compute and another mechanism to move the gear shift. It would literally be a manual transmission car with a bunch of added weight and mechanical complications to shift by itself

>citation needed

sounds like a poorly developed piece of shit

Pretty much any automatic transmission will let you do this. The problem is that without direct linkages, manual mode is strictly worse than automatic mode.

>The user being a computer.
>That is, the tranny does the shifting.
And how do you think the tranny shifts, by magic? It's a computer you jackass.

What you would need is a manual transmission, with the clutch pedal, and shifter to be mechanically disconnected.
Audi already has a manual trans where the shifter is not physically linked, and is electronic.
Clutch would have to be the same

This way you can drive it in fully manual mode, or select auto where it would shift for you, but not have the clutch, and shifter move on its own.

Is it possible, yes. Has anyone done it like this? No. No one wants manuals anymore, and manual drivers dont want an auto mode like this.

You have no idea how autotragics work do you?
Look up GM's old Hydra-Matic, tell me where the computer is.

Wouldn't it be the other way around?
Autmatic transmission with direct linkage to shift?

Instead of a direct clutch to flywheel, clutch pedal would reroute or disconnect torque convertor input through trans fluid redirection/bypass.

Idfk.

Sounds like OP wants a true manual that has an auto mode.

There are plenty of fully manual transmissions that are made to be automatic. They have no user clutch pedal, or shifter.

But there is no manual trans that has these controls that can shift on its own.

Anything with a torque converter is gonna be a semi auto or some DCG crap

Thinking about it makes my brain hurt.
I don't like it. Bad idea.

>But other times I am driving cross country for 17 hours straight and would just like to be able to have both hands on the wheel not worrying about the tranny.

You've never driven a manual, have you? You don't need to shift when you're driving at a constant speed on the highway.

The smg in the e46 m3 is literally just a mt thats shifted automatically...

Nice quints

If you're driving cross country it should mostly be highway miles and thus you shouldn't be shifting very much anyways so the automatic remains pointless.

so much this

The only time I see an exception is when you are cruising along a highway, not an interstate, and come across some podunk town in bufu nowhere and have to decelerate to 25-35mph for a mile but its so far between I wouldn't see that being a real issue.

This. I have a friend who drives auto and I let drive my car once. He still somehow believes driving for a long time is easier in an auto.

single clutch automated manual with a clutch pedal that is only activated when in manual mode. it is possible, but would be pricy and not as good on both milage and weight

how has no one said this yet:
buy two cars
/thread

This.

My built A340 slaps gears as hard as any manual and then when it's no longer time for skidz, drop it into auto and get my cruise on.

Still a slushy torque converter, but pretty good.

youtu.be/aFvj6RQOLtM

This shows you how a manual works in perfect 1930s glory. Best to know the basics before moving up to an auto.

wow what wheels are those? They look awesome dude!

This is actually fairly simple.
Two actuators, some new software, and a shifter disengage.

One actuator to control the clutch.
Another to shift.
There can be a special gate to disengage the shifter from the tranny so the actuator wouldn't have to move the stick.

Would still weigh less than an auto, but probably wouldn't shift quite as well. Add a heavy duty "racing" style clutch so the computer could "ride" the clutch a little for smoother shifts/braking.

The computer already knows RPMs/speed. It only needs to have an eco-mode, sport mode would be driver operated.

n-no! it's gaining speed on gear, coasting on neutral and accelerating to desired speed again in gear on and on again... look!
youtube.com/watch?v=6N4tLAAy5Fg

Autos are fucking insane. I'm half-convinced that they're actually reverse-engineered alien tech from Roswell.

I don't think it exists yet, but you could probably adapt a Saab Sensonic or BMW SMG (both are based on regular manual gearboxes but relieve the driver of various elements of the gear change process) to work in such a way.

>that limp wrist
Stay beta

Isn't tiptronic implemented in most of automatic gear post 2006 cars?
>americans

Are you retarded?

I hate paddle shifters so much. So, so much.

>stupidest

I hope to god you're pretending to be retarded. That is absolutely not what dual-clutch transmission means.

>what you want is probably a dual clutch transmission,

2016 Chevrolet Malibu has a dual clutch transmission and allows you to use manual or automatic. However, unlike a true manual transmission that allows you to grind gears or even attempt to shift from 4th gear into 1st gear to severely over-rev your engine, the Malibu's computer will not allow you to do those mistakes. On top of the automatic transmission shifter are rocker buttons + and -. To use the manual transmission, you shift into "M" and now you are in manual. The current gear of course is the one matched to your current speed. Now press + to go up one gear and - to go down one gear. If you are out of range, the computer won't let you shift to that out of range gear. When you press the brake to slow down, you will downshift automatically and finally end up at first gear when you come to a stop.

Sure, this seems a sterile manual transmission which doesn't want you to over-rev the engine on a gear. Or grind gears by shifting out of range. But there are probably any number of people who have broken their manual transmission or engine who wish they had some sort of computer watching over their shoulder like a benevolent big brother.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what i'm talking about BUT,

My car has something called a 'steptronic' and although i have no idea how the fucker works, my father told me about it and it sounded more or less like what you're looking for, mostly automatic so you don't need to worry about doing any real work, but it's more fun than just sitting there. It broke forever ago before he gave the car to me.

>I have no idea what i'm talking about
yes you do