OBD II code

I'm trying to clarify a P0420 code, hoping that it's one of the o2 sensors, and I'd like to replace only what has failed. On my cheap HF scanner, I see another set of characters, almost like superscript, to the right of the code. It reads $7E8.

I haven't found anything searching for $ obd code and won't share the numerous other retarded searches. Does this $7E8 further diagnose the P0420 code? Does it help, in any way?

Do you live in an emissions area?

How many miles?

It's definitely the cat. If you don't live in an emissions area it doesn't matter that much.

Don't think that code means anything. Even with a more advanced scanner all its going to say is the code plus description. I'd recommend replacing the cheap part first and seeing if that fixes it.
If it doesn't then you're looking at a pretty hefty bill

>I'd recommend replacing the cheap part first and seeing if that fixes it.

Don't listen to this guy. Don't just aimlessly replace parts. I literally shelled out 3000$ replacing parts on my wife's Mazda. First it read not enough volts to the egr valve, then after I fixed that my dash lights wouldn't come on, car wouldn't turn over, after replacing 17 different parts I tested the battery, literally not enough juice to crank over. Car runs great 30k miles later

Don't listen to this guy, he literally spent $3 grand when he could have just bought a fucking battery

I'm in California. 120something thousand miles.

I definitely want to start with the cheapest part, but I don't want to rebuild the entire exhaust system one part at a time either.

So, wtf are those characters for anyway?

Have you seen what I'm describing though? There are many posts on other forums looking for the same thing I am - $7E8. Nobody seems to have an answer.

There are a handful of possible causes other than the cat. The MIL is the issue now, as it won't pass CA smog.

$7E8 is a non diagnostic code. It dosnet tell you anything. Its like an error sign on a calculator. DTC's don't use any special characters like #$%

im havin a giggle m8

Ok. But why is it there? It has to signify something? Right?

how do you know its not factory specific?

if the machine is reading extra info, its probably there for a reason

Do you have a part store bought scanner, is it blue with a yellow screen?

This is what I'm talking about. The fact that it's been searched for before means that my set of variables; make/model of car, reader, error codes, etc. is getting the same info as others with different equipment.

I kinda just want to know what the damn thing is, even if it won't help me.

I bought the Cen-Tech/Harbor Freight brand. $50 and it gives enough info to usually diagnose MIL.

A web image search for OBD code P0420 will show a couple of scanners other than mine displaying the $7E8 string.

>I'll take "sarcasm" for $200 alex

Occam's Razor

Look at the exhaust and cat. There could be a leak between the upstream and downstream o2 sensors. The cat could've been killed by a misfire or burning oil or coolant.

I did take a look. No obvious damage, no exhaust streaks anywhere. Also, no noticeable loss of power or telltale noise. I've heard plugged cats and destroyed cats before. I sincerely doubt it's the cat in this case.

$7E8 code be an error code specific for this brand of scan tool.
If you want peace of mind though, you'll need to find a factory scan tool, usually at dealers. But some place may not scan your car for free.

You could check the temp of it with an ir thermometer. Look it up on YouTube

thats under the assumption the car computer is outputting this information. but this is most likely the case because the scanner wouldn't be made to display extra info in this manner

you fucked up

should have bought the latest ELM chip bluetooth scanner from ebay. much cheaper and much better.
although you probably bought that centech scanner at the last moment as a result of whatever problem you were having.

Dude, I never knew a BT scanner would so cheap. Yeah, that was a mistake. Can you recommend an app or where to get .apk?

Torque pro is totally worth 5 bucks. And there's a free version to test your adapter.

fuck paying for shit

just search google for apk mania

$5 isn't bad, but I'd like to try before I buy. I'm going to check out Torque Pro.

$7E8 is the generic OBDII designation for the ECM. I don't know why, but it is.
What the reader is telling you is that the P0420 code you're looking at is stored in the ECM (as opposed to the TCM ($7E9) or whatever else.

I feel like this is a great secret. Thanks. This will help me sleep tonight.

How did you learn this, by the way?

By being a technician. If you have a high-end 3rd-party scanner like an Autel or Solus that has manufacturer software as well as generic OBDII, that's how generic OBDII menus work.

>Plug in scanner, presented with list of manufacturers
>Select OBDII
>Scanner scrolls through various protocols until it lands on the right one
>List of modules comes up
>$7E8
>$7E9
>$7EA
>Check codes in each module because there's no real way of knowing which is which at first

I figured you were in the trade. Thanks for being here and helping me out. It can't be often that you can google something, find nothing useful, then get what you need here, of all places.