Hey Veeky Forums what's a good used full-size truck to look at getting? I want to trade my Suburban K2500 for a pickup...

Hey Veeky Forums what's a good used full-size truck to look at getting? I want to trade my Suburban K2500 for a pickup. Obvious choice for my situation is a Chevy K2500 pickup but I know pretty much nothing about Ford and Dodge comparable trucks.

>Here's my Craigslist posting for more info:
corvallis.craigslist.org/cto/5782602220.html

I guess I should be more specific.

How do Dodge and Ford trucks compare to a Chevy K2500 truck? Which engines are good, and which are shit?

I love my Suburban with the 454 big block, I wish I could just flip a switch and turn it into a pickup.

Ram with cummins

Do you think I could trade my Suburban for a Ram with a Cummins? The 'Burb is in great shape.

On second thought, I think most people who are looking to trade their truck probably want to trade into something more economical. Do you think it'd be better to just sell the Suburban and buy a pickup with that money?

How much do you think I could get from my Suburban if I were to sell it?

3/4 Ton gas burbans are the god teir.

Just get a 3/4 ton k2500 pickup and call it quits. Please dont get rid of the burban.

What about diesel 2500 burbs?

I agree. 2500 burds, especially OBS are unicorns nowadays. Hate to see it go, but it IS a valuable truck...

...as long as gas prices stay "low"

What year range are you looking at? Similar to yours?

I don't think your gonna find anyone wanting to trade a 3/4 or 1 ton truck for the 'burban. You'd be better off selling it outright.

I have only a small bit if first-hand experience with them. They are not the best and very annoying to work on when things go south. General maintenance costs are 5x higher and the biggest factor for me is it's not a diesel. It's a light duty diesel. If I have a fucking 3/4 ton burb that bitch is gonna tow its entire life and it's just too much stress for such a special snow flake engine that no one really has completely how to make it bulletproof.

shit forgot photo

Guy wants to trade his '91 Ram 2500 single cab. What do you think about 180K miles on a Cummins?

Take a look: It's got power windows, Cummins, 4x4, 180K, and I'm not sure what else. Waiting to hear back about what transmission it has.

What transmission should I be looking for here?

He just replied saying it's an automatic, which I prefer.

What do you think Veeky Forums? Based on what I know so far should I make the trade? I need a pickup bed. Haven't seen any pics yet though so reserving judgement.

That's like, the single best ram Cummins you can get.
If it's a short bed, you go fucking get it right now.

Even with 180,000 miles? I'm new to diesels so excuse my ignorance.

Yeah, it's not too bad, usually Cummins engines will go to 300k without issue.
There's some minor things you should do to it though.
As long as it isn't smoking, and you get a chance to start it cold.

A 180K miles truck is still a 180K mile truck. The engine may be good but make sure its not falling apart elsewhere.

>There's some minor things you should do to it though.
>As long as it isn't smoking, and you get a chance to start it cold.
What kind of things?
Don't diesels usually smoke? Again, new to diesels.

They should not smoke at all really, especially blue smoke.

The most noteworthy on those 5.9s is there's a dowel pin in the timing area that can come loose and end up in the gears. They make a little plate to keep it in.

If anything breaks on a diesel it's expensive as fuck.

Cummins are good engines but they come in a Dodge.

OP should hold out for a K2500 with a gasser drivetrain. I have both Chevys and Fords and worked on many. Ford engines are durable but changing spark plugs is horrible and worse if one wrings off in the head. Chevy's are a breeze to work on and no brand has better aftermarked.

If OPs Burban runs well, consider a trailer for pickup truck jobs.

Sounds like a steal if the truck isn't trashed.

Unfortunately I live in an apartment and can't really get a trailer since there's nowhere to park it. Damn college life and all that.

Suburban does run great though.

Yeah I'll likely go for it if I see some pictures and it's not shitty. The owner gets off work in a few hours and he'll take some pictures then. I'll post them here once I get them.