Who on earth thought these pieces of shit would be innovative?

Who on earth thought these pieces of shit would be innovative?

Other urls found in this thread:

jalopnik.com/lincoln-mkcs-being-recalled-because-of-stupid-design-th-1677660141
money.cnn.com/2016/06/21/autos/anton-yelchin-gear-selectors/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>have small, rounded key that is comfy to have in my pocket
>walk up to car, press button to unlock
>press start button to go
>press start button to stop
>get out of car, press handle button to lock it
>never had to remove key from my pocket

Coming from driving 30 year old cars, I really like this

stay poor faget
>muh 20 year old 240sx has a real key made of refurbished sewage pipes

Stay mad.

Once you get a car with keyless entry/push start, you won't go back. I literally never have to take the key out my pocket. And if I wanna be really slick, I can get a credit card size key for my car (pic related).

Of course the only retards who like start-engine-buttons use greentext as the primary form of communication.

That's not how they work though.

Tell me how they work then faggot, I fucking own a car that does this. Want me to mention that I press in the clutch?

They're pretty okay in new cars. I still hate the idea because of the S2000 I test drove, though.
>Sit down in car
>Dig out key
>Put key in ignition
>Turn key
>Press down clutch
>Push button
Who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to add a step to the starting procedure for no reason? I don't care that it's simple and easy, it's an extra step that serves no purpose.

Thats exactly how my for work. Except I dont press any button to unlock, I just grab the door handle, and the car is unlocked before I get to opening the door.

Ill never go back.

That procedure was fucking retarded in the s2000, I guess they wanted muh racekar feel but it's useless. Thankfully it was the only one to do that.

yeah I don't get this either. but when the S2000 was new honda made it a big selling point for some reason

>complaining about greentext on Veeky Forums
you don't have to post if you don't have an argument

>tfw I have to roll down my windows

You faggots will never make it once the beta uprising begins

I guess my car is an anomaly. Tell me, how do they actually work?

I was using my friends dad's Ford Flex that had a sensor key like this and it was pretty cool until I wanted to go surfing... Normaly I just tuck the key up on the coil spring on the back wheels of cars or somthing but when I did that with the flex it would have stayed unlocked because the key was near the car... I couldn't take the key out surfing because it's not made to withstand water. I had to dig a hole in the beach and put the key in then mark it with a stick.. I guess these cars aren't ment for people with outdoor lifestyles.

immature tech is always like that. remember when you had rocker switches on the steering wheel to change gear?
i think it was porsche that did that

Have you ever heard of a bag?
Like, something you put your items in when you go places?

He doesn't know how they work, he's just a puritanical nocar who hates driver conveniences on principle.

you don't even have to press a button on modern lexus, the door just unlocks while pulling the handle if the key is close enough.

> leaving your bag on the beach unattended
Spotted the basement dweller

I find the lock button on my car satisfying to press after a night drive, because all the external lights flash while the interior lights fade off when you lock it.

>Button inevitably breaks
>SOL
>key
>will outlast the earth

>have small, rounded key that is comfy to have in pocket
>walk up to car, no response from car
>go inside get second key, same shit
>the fuck? Damn battery must be dead
>fiddle with it to get the manual key out
>get drivers door open, pop hood
>attach booster to battery
Ok... think I got this
>nope, the fucking car won't wake the ignition module for some fucking reason, no manual way of turning ignition
>call tow
>replaced battery, everything fine again, dealership explains the ignition lock won't respond if all safety parameters aren't met, somehow boosting the car meant those safety parameters aren't met.

I want my fucking manual ignition lock back.

>not having friends to watch your bag
Spotted the poseur

I gotta say, the push to start is pretty great. I rented a few new Chryslers, and they all had it. I never had to take the keys out of my pocket. If you have a bag, you could just put the keys in the bag and they would still work. Pretty convenient.

Walk up to car with fob in pocket
As soon as i touch the door my side unlocks
I sit in the seat and turn the key feeling object in the ignition
Car starts perfect every time

>somehow the ignition can't break
lol

My evo has gotten a dead battery tons pf times there are manual trunk and hood releases and a spot for a key on the drivers side door

Ah, that doesn't sound like your shitbox Evo, have you crashed it already?

Is there a manual ignition switch?

Whi is it always a button when a tumbler switch would've been so much cooler?

>walk up to ancient fire-breathing muscle car
>take keys out of pocket and find door key
>insert door key and turn, hear satisfying clunk and watch internal lock pop up.
>get in car, insert ignition key.
>flip 4 kill switches installed overhead in secret order
>turn and hold ignition key while pressing gas pedal
>listen to engine turn over and then fire up, releasing the sounds of hell as raw guzzaline erupts into flame.
>set off car alarms in parking garage and drive out with a big shit eating grin as I drive by hipsters and vegans.

How'd your morning go?

NC miatas are like this.
Turn the switch like a key.
You can pull the cover off and the backup key goes in just like a regular ignition.

> Having friends
I don't have time to babysit

Its as if there is already a key in the ignition that you turn

After you release it the car starts its like halfway between keyless and and non

That's basically a non-removable key.

I meant something like this.

>Actually bitching about greentext on Veeky Forums
because he has no argument

This right here is the perfect middle ground. You can start the vehicle via key or keyless, and there's no stupid fucking button.

these were thought to be a good idea by the same fucking retards who thought paddle shifters in every fwd shitbox were a good idea

So no then.

That's not a manual key. That's using the same transponder in your key that your remote entry uses.

Requires a key in the ignition: useless
Does not require a key: only poorfag retards who don't have it hate it

Oh man, those would be cool.

Eh, they're pretty neat I think. It's just a shame they were made to be trash so the dealerships could nickel and dime you to fix it when it eventually breaks soon. I'm sure some stay working a lot longer, but I'm sure many others don't.

They're actually very reliable, I've never even heard of somebody bitching about theirs breaking come to think of it.

Are you fucking joking?

We see at least a dozen of these a week. Fucking things constantly fail.

I can't say I'm going to believe you on that user. I'm rather skeptical on any new technology these days too.

And my dad works for Blizzard

fuckin powershift man

And?

>Who on earth thought these pieces of shit would be innovative?

Sitting in car?
Car jacker comes up.
Door opens because keyfob is nearby.
Hello there.

- = - = -

At gas station pumping gas.
Car doors locked.
Thief tries door. It unlocks since you are nearby.
Snatches item out of car. Runs off.

those would be nifty. but i still prefer muh key.

if anything relegate those to extra shit.

they're in passenger cars to liken them more towards household appliances, to make operating a machine more familiar for women and millenials.

>push button for on
>push button for off
>just like my coffeemaker

I really don't see what's wrong with it

2008 and 2009 Nissans arr calling. I tow those fucking things all the time cause the computer forgets the key belongs to the car

>I don't have time to babysit

probably because it would be easier to actuate it by accident

I don't really understand a lot of the electronics that get put into cars today. Why did auto manufacturers think it was better to have a $200 key fob than a $3 piece of cut metal? Why add the unnecessary electronics for proximity unlocking when you can just turn the key in the lock? As for pushbutton start, I just prefer the feeling of turning a key, and a pal of mine told me that getting the pushbutton ignition fixed was a lot more difficult than a regular ignition. I don't care if manufacturers offer pushbutton as an option or on luxury models, but I'm getting a little PO'd that it's totally replacing the key

Pushbutton start is a violation of KISS principle, an example of fixing something that didn't need to be fixed, and I would rather have a regular ignition. I think a car with minimal electronics would be neat. I remember growing up all the cars my family had with power windows ended up with broken power windows sooner or later. Same can't be said for the cars with crank windows. Logic would dictate that they should just use crank windows because they won't break. But clearly that isn't the case because all cars use power windows now. Doesn't make much sense.

Then they go and shove even more electronics in with backup cameras, gay gps, traction control, lane assists, proximity warnings, and a bunch of other stuff that's just going to break. But as long as it last 3 years, then the fucking slaves can trade it in for the newest model, can't fall behind, no siree. Cars aren't driving machines anymore, they're rolling IPads.

The car knows when the key is inside instead of outside. It won't open for someone if the car is running and the key is inside, unless you unlock the doors manually.

My dad's shitbox crank windows suck though, they eat handles away. Handles are literally a consumable.

I like turning a key. Need to take it out of my pocket before getting in the car anyway because otherwise it's uncomfortable.

These card things seem okay though

Jesus, that's some edge.

Friend has this, the fucker was being super smug until his key RAN out of battery. He kept saying he'd figure it out, took him almost 20 minutes until I came, found this godforsaken random hole way under the fucking steering wheel. Just shoved the entire key, fob and all into it, then hit start and it started up.

What really is the point? A normal ignition is perfectly fine.

>I have not idea what I'm talking about.

Rotary switch. Basically same action as a key but without the key. So you have a definite tactile feel for 'On', 'Off' and 'Start'.

Stepping away from keys, ik, but some newer Lexus' have transmissions that are all buttons.

I.e. you press a button for r, d, d3, etc. it feels so alien, the press p for park I'm okay with, but the whole tranny switchboard was laid out on the left of the center console.

>be me
>work as a busboy closing restaurant over summer
>walk outside
>qt3.14 girl sitting on her trunk beside my car
>battery in her key went out
>she can't get in her car
>lol, pull faux handle off, ask for key, show her actual key inside electric dealie
>looks at me like I'm a fucking wizard

It's hilarious. Happened 2-3 times again since then at school.

Lincolns have that too, and worst of all, next to the infotainment system. Imagine going driving and suddenly putting the car in neutral by accident.

Didn't they recall those because of that?

yes those buttons are DEADLY. Might leave it in neutral by accident instead of park when you're on a hill and accidentally run over yourself

They did lmao
They're still shitty tho
jalopnik.com/lincoln-mkcs-being-recalled-because-of-stupid-design-th-1677660141

>money.cnn.com/2016/06/21/autos/anton-yelchin-gear-selectors/
>The first time I brought a second-generation Toyota Prius into a parking garage, the valet was completely baffled. He couldn't even make it go. I explained that he needed to pull that funny little lever thing over to the side and push it down to put it in Drive, and then press the button to put it in Park.

lmfao you literally have to jerk off the prius' lil blue chub to select gears, can't make this shit up

I hate the new Prius interiors. Everything is high-gloss.

I hate priuses as a concept

enjoy your 1 MPG cuck

Prius are for pedos

I like this meme, let's spread it

Do you even own a car?

Because the $200 dollar key fob prevents some nigger from coming into your car and starting it with a coathanger.

What's the difference on cars purchased after the mid-2000s? Everything has a transponder anyways. If the control module for that is not functioning, physical key or "proximity" key, the car won't start.

my volvo c30 is like that
And it requires using the key, even though the car has wireless entry and start so volvo can bleed you 30 bucks more for a small piece of plastic in the shape of your key that you stick it in the "key hole"

>starting it with a coathanger.
t. Underaged Hollywood fan

>If you wanted to, say, put the car in S instead of just D, you daredevil, you could easily drop that finger down a bit to far and find yourself behind the wheel of 3800 lbs of inert metal instead of 3800 lbs of active crossover in 'Sport' mode.

Fucking kek

what is hyperbole for $100 bob

>I'll never go back
Neither your car will when it's inevitably broken into and stolen

Even my 2004 has that.

It's kind of nice when you walk towards your car at night all the lights turn on when you get close. It's like it's happy to see you.

There is no need to break into it, relay boxes are an amazing invention.

You do realize there's a manual key-turn ignition behind the button, right?

brb, stealin a 964

the marketing department

shhh you're ruining poland's gdp

Because racecars.

Seriously. Same reason we have paddleshifters in modern cars. Everyone knows that pretty much nobody is going to use them, it really just helps convince men to get shitty crossovers as family cars because "Look it has paddle shifters like a racecar so it must be fast!" even though they wreck the transmission.

It's just to create faux "racecar" feeling in cars that have literally nothing sporty about them so women feel like they're good drivers and men don't feel bad for selling their fun car to get a shitty Nissan Murano to haul their 2.5 shit-eating kids around while they throw cheerios all over the back seat and shit themselves.

Because modern cars are nothing more than smart devices used by retards and women. That's why every time I sell car a car to some cunt, they don't ask how it drives, but what infotainment and convenience features it has.

>daily push start car for the winter
>get comfy with keyless start and what not
>daily my old car when good weather comes
>kinda develop a bad habit of leaving the keys in the old car

At least I notice I don't have the fob in my pocket as a reminder

My current daily has this same kind of system.

I always thought it was a gimmick.

My only gripe: it's sometimes awkward to just turn off the engine and leave everything else going.

>credit card sized key

That's actually kind of cool