So Veeky Forums as a general level of modification at what point do you stop working on the engine and look at other...

So Veeky Forums as a general level of modification at what point do you stop working on the engine and look at other areas of improvement like making the car lighter or breaks or suspension? Like things that aren't exactly power gainers but performance improvers. I'd like to hear from everyone cuz it's a really interesting topic because a Mustang may have a different stopping point than say a WRX and the same could go for something like a golf. We need more discussions like this around here instead of shit talking and dividing into cliques

You start literally bottom up, dip.
Suspension and brakes are always first, rubber next, optionally lightweight aftermarket wheels.
Then you worry about the engine.

Brakes are always first, followed by suspension, weight and then engine. Usually only the muscle-car people start with power mods

/thread

Personally I feel like as long as you have a good set of pads and drilled slotted rotors then breaks are an area that come later. Imo on any car the first thing that should be done is to increase air flow and a tune. An engine that breathes better performs better.

>as long as you have
As long as you have them, but not every car that's being freshly modified has them, hence why they come first. If they're good, they're good.
>an engine that breathes better
A suspension that handles better is a suspension that performs better. A tune and airflow is what you need when you buy a sporty car new off the lot. Your average project? Lol.

To put it in a bit clearer perspective.
You go full power mods and you can go days or even weeks without utilizing it because of the way you drive is on average (hopefully) not fatalistic.
If you do suspension/brakes, it's instant and constant gratification, which is important because knowing how your car handles intimately before putting on power keeps you from hugging a pole.

Bolt a turbo on and get Brembo brakes then forget about the rest

>guys you literally start from the bottom up. Like, this is what you literally do. This is literally the setup. Literally.
>bottom up
>tires after suspension
you are literally retarded

>you need new rubber before your car is drivable assuming you're doing suspension and brake work
Nuh uh, I just think you misunderstood.

brakes*

You did it twice, once in the OP and again here. Just trying to help you out

Also, fuck that shit nigga ebay turbo swap on a junkyard civic is where its at

Did it without even thinking.

No replacement...

You don't add power first.

Why wouldn't you. If I wanted to drive around like an upstanding citizen obeying speed limits I wouldn't modify a car outside of stock parameters anyway (tires don't really count since they're a semi regularly replaced piece.).

>why wouldn't you
Because your car can make as much power as you want and it'll still be useless everywhere but the drag strip and a straight line.

bullshit
your shitbox might make no torque but being able to take tight turns and climb hills without downshifting is the point of having huge power.

Yeah and if my suspension is stock I can't utilize that power for shit in turns because my suspension was built for shitbox cruising not fucking hooning.
Every car needs different things, and your suspension should be your first worry.
>put 400 HP on a Fox
>don't buy new brakes because power mods lol
>die

You don't need brakes to slow down noob.

yeah, if you pumped your shitbox from 50 to 70 HP I guess you don't.
But anyway, have fun wrapping your underage ass around a tree.

>he doesn't engine brake
how

>he thinks engine braking is enough to stop him from crashing
Why mod your car for power if you never use it?

I too can engine brake in 3rd starting at 90
I won't stop anywhere near where I need to, assuming I don't hit anyone on the way through intersections.

yeah but engine braking+brakes is superior.
nigga i'm riding around with undersized drums and almost nothing for brake shoes.
Why can't you?

That was the point of the thread. So at what point do you move focus on said mustang from power mods to handling and stability mods. Personally on my fox I've not done anything to the suspension because that project started at the engine to actually get it running well. And on my 2010 GT I had done an intake, tune, and full exhaust before turning my eye to suspension which I did like 2 weeks or less ago. Other types of cars, like a Miata for example may start in other areas and that's what I was asking.

Because I'm not poor and I have an entire bank account dedicated to my car ventures.
I do remember being poor tho, so I guess I understand where you come from.

Dunnon what ur on about m8 i just don't want to swap brake shoes

depends on the car

Eh? You should've been looking at the suspension first. You should have had an idea of your end goal before buying random bits and bolting them onto your car.
Holy shit. Do yourself a favor and get into drag racing, straight lines are your shit.

FPBP

>I'm too poor to replace things that need to be replaced
We get it.

ever since i rolled my scion tc i have a different outlook:
visualize what car you want to own
visualize what you want done to it

now go out and buy a clean car that is as close to that vision as possible and focus on paying it off and enjoying it

I think I need to clarify. I'm not saying leave your break pads (I spelled it that way to spite the other guy) bald. Of course you keep your vehicle maintained, so assuming that your vehicle is in could road condition I would assume that the pads, rotors, and tires aren't worn to shit.

>implying brake shoes are expensive

See
I addressed that
Just because it's a rule of the thumb doesn't mean "omg I bought a car time to buy new suspension bits and brakes before even looking at the things"

>implying poor people know what expensive is
If it ain't on the dollar menu it ain't on your holler menu.

lmao nigga i eat Wendy's which is fuckin expensive.

>fast food
>expensive
thanks for proving my point, poorfaggot.

>eats at a slummy diner
>thinks he's a richfaggot
lmao

Drive the car and figure out what it needs and what I need.
Usually it's not stiffer suspension and a louder exhaust as I am an old man now.

It is after all well known that all racecar drivers engine brake exclusively after all. You stop faster with your brakes, that's why they exist. If you're gonna cost to slow down you're not driving hard.

engine brake+brakes

I don't see the point in upgrading sway bars, control arms, welding subframe connectors and etc on something that isn't already built for you to get down and dirty. For example. A stock fox has like 220 HP. There's no need to upgrade the aforementioned parts first from stock position. Once you put some hair on its chest yeah it's perfectly understandable. That threshold may be different on a different type of car like a bug eye Impreza for instance.