Why do drag race cars have big fat tires at the back and thinner ones at the front...

Why do drag race cars have big fat tires at the back and thinner ones at the front? I've also noticed in heavy duty American trucks.

Why is this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v63BGijJtBA
gearboxmagazine.com/the-fastest-fwd-in-the-world/
youtube.com/watch?v=tAD1AO_nkvY
youtube.com/watch?v=AXDMXvpbJMQ
youtube.com/watch?v=q9rnDwrgpek
twitter.com/AnonBabble

traction

I don't get it. For traction you could just use same size tires on all 4 sides right?

Wider tires means a wider contact patch—if you want to drag race then doing a burnout is the last thing you want to do, thus, a wider tire is used to keep traction in the rear. The front tires don't need nearly as much traction so they're kept small to reduce weight.

Not every car is 4wd silly.

if you accelerate, the reaction force of the vehicle mass will transfer the vehicle weight to the rear axle. Also the rear axle is the driven axle so that's where all the work is being done.

If you want to break your car as fast as possible, equally fat tires in the front are your best option. But as of today, there are no beaking contests for cars.

wow americans engineering and stuff kek

Drag cars are usually RWD and they don't usually have to turn very much. Big front tires are just unnecessary weight for them.

>if you want to drag race then doing a burnout is the last thing you want to do
Technically, a burnout is the first thing you want to do.

Or you know just global common knowledge for car guys.

>when you see a drag car come back down from a huge wheelie on those fucking moped front wheels and that broom stick front axle

Oh I see, I get it.

Even though a burnout is pretty widely referred to as what you do to get your tires to optimal temperature before a race...I pretty sure he referring to when you launch the car at the beginning of the actual race you don't want to just spin the tires.

>big fat tires at the back and thinner ones at the front?
You mean the other way round

That would be "smoking" the tires.

>drag cars with the driveline wheels at the end of the car that the acceleration weight transfer shifts away from

>people responding seriously to this thread

>doesn't understand body and suspension stiffness

>doesn't understand physics

I don't think you do either if you think body and suspension stiffness changes the fact that the drive wheels are at the front of the car which weight transfers away from when accelerating

>weight transfers away
Yea, clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.

The engine doesn't just slide to the back of the car. When you have stiff suspension and like most drag cars a bar at the back, there is no roll. The engine being at the front or the back makes 0 fucking difference at that point.

unless you're a fucking baller, in which case you rip one on every shift all the way down the track

>he doesn't race in reverse

The weight transfers to the rear. Try buying a real car and stomp on it. You'll see what we mean.

>the weight transfers to the rear
What's it like having shitty stock suspension?

>this is the average yuropooreian poster on Veeky Forums

THEY HAVE TO GO BACK

>muh wheelies

If you can't see if your car is going straight you might as well be dead

Nice to see native americans on Veeky Forums. What tribe you with?

>naitive americans
This shit needs to stop, If you were born in the US you are a native Northern American.

The purpose of the bar at the back differs on the car being RWD or FWD. RWD drag cars need a wheelie bar to keep from flipping over. FWD drag cars need the bar to keep the weight from going too far off the front.

Weight simply shifts to the rear, it's called G forces you lug nut. Do you understand G forces or did you skip high school?

>if you want to drag race then doing a burnout is the last thing you want to do

>drag racing literally involves a pre race burnout

whoa lad

>beginning of the actual race you don't want to just spin the tires.

there is an optimal amount of wheel spin involved in a drag launch

>itt: nobody knows anything about drag racing

fuck must be europoor time already

>he thinks G force has any effect on the vehicle outside of the movement of liquids in the car and the persons body

In a straight line, G force does not effect the movement of a car. FWD and RWD will act exactly the same. As the weight does not move due to the stiffness of the body.

>weight not transferring to the rear while accelerating

whats it like defying the laws of physics?

> FWD and RWD will act exactly the same.

thats why all the fastest drag cars are FWD

>oh wait

i'm pretty sure this is god-tier bait or you're actually retarded

The first burnout is to heat the tires and add grip. Usually the tires sit in a special liquid puddle (VHT irc) that improves traction, and will reduce the chance of a burnout during the launch

Weight isn't some magical thing that moves from one end of piece metal to another when it has forced applied equally across it.

A stiff body vehicle (a proper drag car, not a fucking stock civic like you dumb faggots keep thinking of) will not have its weight bouncing around. It will be a very stiff suspension, with a renforced frame. Meaning when you move forward, the weight isn't pushing the back of the car down and lifting the front causing a loss of traction.

The only reason and I mean the ONLY reason FWD drag cars don't go into top fuel is because aerodynamics. Not "muh weight transfer"

brake*** you stupid fuck

>dem headers

>all the fastest drag cars

Outside of Top fuel, FWD and RWD hold the same records dipshit.

youtube.com/watch?v=v63BGijJtBA

gearboxmagazine.com/the-fastest-fwd-in-the-world/

>1991 Plymouth Laser
>8 second car
>fwd
>muh fwd can't drag

>What is a burnout box

Get off this board and don't ever come back

>doesn't realize that car would be significantly faster if it wasn't FWD

>"at some point physics does become a limit"

he even said it himself in the video. also that car is utilizing a bar to literally push down on the front of the car to stop it from transferring weight.

i know you don't know a torque converter from horse cum but that car is crawling off the line slow

>thinks i don't know what a burnout box is

nigger please. i actually live next to a strip

those cars are spinning when they launch. watch one in slow mo

>8.21 second
>inline 4
>it's crawling off the line slow

>"inline 4"

last time i was at the drag strip there wasn't even a single car that ran that slow.

the launch in a FWD car can never compare to RWD. its simple physics

Meanwhile

>2000hp skyline
>8.5 seconds

youtube.com/watch?v=tAD1AO_nkvY

He isn't talking about FWD when he means physics, he means the amount of compression that engine will take before it will fucking explode. Hes at his limit for hp you dumb fuck.

oh look, manually shifted street cars that run 8s

youtube.com/watch?v=AXDMXvpbJMQ
>because they're not fucking FWD

Narrow fronts are for weight reduction/aero and better steering under lift.

>He isn't talking about FWD when he means physics

>mongoloid level of comprehension

also
>post AWD drag car

KEK its like you don't even know what drag racing is

>AMS

actually a local tuner around here.

>thinks a full weight GT-R and a fucking Plymouth laser take the same of HP to run similar times

do you even know what power:weight is

Please learn some basic physics before you go spewing shit on a malaynese knitting forum

>FWD and RWD hold the same records dipshit.

>worlds FASTEST FWD is 200 mph trap

what the fuck are you smoking

youtube.com/watch?v=q9rnDwrgpek

this is at the local drag strip

>Fwd cars

>very stiff suspension,

>even remotely ideal for drag racing

>the weight isn't pushing the back of the car down and lifting the front causing a loss of traction.

for this to be possible you couldn't even be on rubber tires

>8.63 seconds RWD car
>8.21 seconds FWD car that has no aftermarket support except for the guy building it
>Muh RWD

>top fuel racing
Again aerodynamics, you can't cram a supercharged V8 motor and be FWD while also keeping wind resistance down.

You fucking inbreed hillbilly.

>crash derbies

Also rolling resistance reduction. Every fraction helps.

>full weight MANUAL street car

Its like you dont understand classes

>thinks thats top fuel

Kek its way slower th

low quality bait you ass

No, you are native indian.

>implying stance comps aren't a competition for breaking cars