Are monks the only true christians?

Are monks the only true christians?

Jesus said to them : My true disciples are the monks.

-Gospel of Veeky Forums

Protestants are the only true Christians

Don't be silly.
There is no true scotsman

No, and I say that with extreme respect for the monastic vocation.

Monasticism is a way to avoid corruption, a way to try to remain pure, it is not a panacea to the ills of all men, it is a method. It is far better to be a faithful layman than a lazy monastic; talk to any priest from the Orthodox or Catholic traditions and he will probably agree.

This

Stop being mad catholicucks

Jewish Christians from the 1st century CE who wholly abided by the Law are the only true Christians

>ebionites and judaizers were the only true christians

ebin

Oh but you dare to insult the regal monastic order from the position of an layman..

please man this is hilarious tell me what denomination are you from?

Orthodoxy?

This isn't exactly a controversial opinion, monasticism is not the only method to salvation, nor is it the one most people are ought to undergo.

Monasticism is an attempt to make themselves like living martyrs.

There has been no more than one true Christian, and he died in the cross.

*When done correctly, like demonstrates.
It is not the sole path to Heaven, but the Rule is the guard rails.

Could you be a little more specific?

Only the ones that are castrated.

I feel like a monastic order that frequently does charity work is the best way to go.

Dude you're super awesome, but it's exactly that in orthodoxy - it's a medieval times thing and onto itself it fails to the test of renaissance, modern age...

What I give you is that if you were living in early to mid medieval times and you were an orthodox Christian in Byzantine empire - holy fuck man, you're actually living the dream.

But in the way it is today, with no kings - no nothing since long time, the Roman church split... the orthodox Church kept the medieval order intactly without ever evolving again...

And only the monastics are crazy enough to invest their time to go again and again and again trough same theology and find the same answers or solutions to them.

Thing is to be open minded, atheistic, agnostic or one-love all religions are friends... you're going to live on a better level and at least an rational one.

>Pray five times a day, including waking up in the middle of the night
>Observe severe restrictive dietary laws
>Observe severe restrictive sexual laws
>No alcohol or other escapist devices
>Memorize the entire holy scripture and can quote entire chapters word for word

When did you realize that the average lay Muslim is way more hardcore than even monastic Christians?
Do Christians even care at all, or are they just phoning it in?

When asked how a monk and non-monastic should be different, Saint John Chrysostom said a non-monk should be married.

>pray 5 times a day
Catholic monks and priests do this in the form of the Liturgy of the Hours, this includes waking up in the middle of the night (potentially twice)
>observe severe restrictive dietary laws
most monks are vegetarians and fast for over half the year.
>observe strict sexual laws
how is a lay muslim more strict than "No sex ever"?
>No alcohol ect.
Neither can a monk, they work nonstop and only can stop in the case of illness, sleep, or worship
>memorize the holy scripture
The Koran is such a short book compared to the Bible. Most monks memorize the Psalms and various prayers and chants, however when should they find the time to memorize a book that has 800,000 words in english, while the koran has 77,430 words.

>>Pray five times a day, including waking up in the middle of the night

Most practicing Orthodox and Catholics try to do something similar to this in the form of the Liturgia Horarum/Horologion.

>>Observe severe restrictive dietary laws
Orthodox and practicing catholic clergy usually fast half of the year, if not longer.

>>Observe severe restrictive sexual laws
The fasting and the celibacy go hand in hand.

>No alcohol or other escapist devices

What's wrong with alcohol, exactly? So long as you're not getting drunk off of your ass, it's just a drink.

>>Memorize the entire holy scripture and can quote entire chapters word for word

Why would one want to do this? Islamic and Christian theology on scripture is insanely different. We don't do not, not on account of a lack of discipline, but on account of differences in understanding of our holy book.

>entire denomination based on sperging out
>he thinks were the mad ones

Nah hermetic monks are way cooler than mendicants.

This right here
t. Catholic
There are many paths to salvation

Explain this

I mean, what he said is true for all major Christian denominations, I agree you shouldn't be "if you aren't my specific group you're a heretic and will go to hell" though, that's unchristian and absolutely not the way to live.

Do you really think that the average muslim prays 5 times a day? Have you never met a muslim?

Any "Muslim" who doesn't isn't Muslim

Yes, since the clerical class of that time was extremely corrupt.

Admittedly, a Christian only needs to know certain parts of the OT and the NT, not the whole thing, most of the OT is Jewish laws that don't apply to Christians.

nah, I'd say monks are probably as true christians as most of the population. I doubt that most of them think the earth has been created in 6 days and all that stuff, nor do they follow or advocate most of the rules you read in the OT, which is part of the bible, like stoning any wife who's been cheating on her husband when she enters a church, or whatever nonsense you can read in there.

he's referring to jesus

yeah, people taking their religion seriously. Literally unimaginable for christians.

>muh no true muslim

You could just say the same thing for Christianity.

99% of people whose official religion is listed as catholic christian or some other flavor of christianity don't follow any of these rules. The common middle-eastern muslim man? They do, cause they live in theocracies.
(apart from memorizing the entire scripture, but I mean to remember that it is taught in schools [citation needed])

>Al Haram
>Harambe
What does it mean?

Harambe is a combination of Haram, which is arabic for forbidden, and Bae, which is lowland gorilla for lover. So Harambe means "Forbidden Lover"

>Harambe
>Gorilla
>Forbidden Lover

Holy shit....this is quite funny

You realise that most people still don't actually follow all of those rules, right? The same as in countries in Africa that are essentially theocracies (are there any full theocracies left?), people still don't live by the full Christian doctrine.

A heretical offshoot of an heretical offshoot does not result in righteousness.

no
>Go forth and multiply

>predestination
>christianity

top kek lad m8

As an atheist I have no real bias and I think Catholicism is fucking retarded. Its literally impossible to be catholic too.

Proddies are worst

They have no historical or biblical basis

You mean the faggots who had nothing better to do than annoy Romans?

>The common middle-eastern muslim man? They do

they absolutely don't. you don't know what you're talking about

>"true" (insert any religion)

Off yourself

This is both false and just another Catholic (presumably) doing the usual "Muh History", a literal Appeal to History, which is not an argument.

Malaysian shitposters are the worst.

What is there to explain?
If you really think the actual mudslime lives by this then you're a retard. Most of the muslims I know drink in bars regularly and pray next to none.