I'm moving to a new city and I figured it wopuld be a nice opportunity for feigning being old money...

I'm moving to a new city and I figured it wopuld be a nice opportunity for feigning being old money. Can you suggest me a car to pull it off? I was thinking pic related. I'd be getting a nice suit and some nice shoes too, max budget for the car is 3k.

Other urls found in this thread:

deserteliteauto.com/vehicle/9983/1983-MERCEDES-BENZ-300-SERIES-300SD/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Car would must be in mint condition. Hardly achievable with 3k.

My guess would be w140 and older S classes or some comfy old Jag

w140 Lorinsen has that old money look

Everyone knows old Mercs are poverty mobiles, get an XJ.

I know the look you're going for but I'll tell you right now you're just going to look like a next-level fedora.

I found a pretty good one for $2k, I posted 3k in case there's something even better.
I'd say it's pretty close to mint on the outside, inside the car there are some minor flaws that can be solved in a pretty inexpensive way imo.
deserteliteauto.com/vehicle/9983/1983-MERCEDES-BENZ-300-SERIES-300SD/ (doesn't have to be from cali, this one I found it via craigs)
I thought of the W126 too, and it looks even more elegant and if I can say it, snobbish. But it's harder and more expensive to find a good one.
Even if well detailed and if you're well dressed?
Also how about a E32 BMW? I mean look at this cap.
XJs don't quite appeal to me but I can see why they look old money.
I gotta try it user :^)

This.

You're just gonna look like a goof with your suit and worn out Euro-sled broken down by the side of the road.

>worn out Euro-sled broken down by the side of the road.
nice meme

really revs up my engine

>unironically thinking an aristocrat would drive a Sonderklasse
get a W124 or W123 you fucking pleb
or if you want a 126 so bad at least get a C126

>implying E-class is more expensive or luxurious than S-class

that's not what I was implying

For $3k and what I'm (assuming) is little to know wrenching skills, yes he will be sitting there as the coolant runs out of his busted ass W140's heater core lines with the quickness.

Should have bought a 1990s Celica, son.

>benz diesel
>unreliable
>90s celica
>reliable in 2016
nice meme

Late 90s, early 00s 7 series is really the only way to pull this off. Mercedes and Jags are fedora material.

Your suits must be tailored and of modern style. If you pull too heavily on looking old money, you'll come off as a poser, which you undoubtedly are regardless.

haha good luck user

I've just been meming Scotty Kilmer stuff for fun, but on a serious note, yes a 4 cylinder Toyota from the 1990s will be much easier to keep on the road than some clapped out diesel Benz from the 1980s. Yes the Mercedes is overbuilt, but for the average person, the Toyota will be more reliable in the "starts every day no matter what" sense, and will be cheaper to keep maintained and in decent repair.

>beating around the bush this much
enlighten me then mr. smartass, I think you're just b8ing at this point

Thats wrong though. Old Mercedes go on forever. The things that break, like electric antenna, blower motor, and vaccum system, have nothing to do with the engine and drive train.

Okay, and so will the Toyota, but with the added bonus of all auxiliary systems not failing to shit.

believe me, I appreciate the sort of quality and durability that went into the mercedes engineering back then, but for just starting and driving every day (on cold winter mornings too), a simple old Toyota wins every time.

>not terrible mpgs (under 15mpg)
>comfy
>reliable
>for 5k

Help guys?
I like older Mercs and want something i wont mod and can cruise to work in comfort

This. A lot of people here don't really know how bulletproof old diesel Mercedes are. In Europe Mercedes is considerably cheaper to maintain since parts are cheaper and every mechanic knows to fix them and if you want they are good to learn wrenching yourself. And when you add to all of that that these cars are very comfy and have nice smooth ride you get a really rounded up car. Americans are driven away from it because they value gadgets more than everything else and that's why they drove as new as they can afford. But if you are on tight budget, you really can't get more car for your money than clean diesel benz.

Nothing says old money like an enormous mid-70's Cadillac.

And no, not a sedan deville, that's for faggots. I'm talking the 60 Special Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance. Bonus points if it's a Talisman, but they're hard to find.

That definitely might be the case in Europe, but here in the states a 1980s Mercedes is the absolute last thing a poorfag should be buying under any circumstances.

That's not even close to a 3k budget, holy shit.

>so will the Toyota
After a few engine rebuilds maybe

>Nothing says pimp like an enormous mid-70's Cadillac.
FTFY
>And no, not a sedan deville, that's for faggots. I'm talking the 60 Special Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance.
>implying not-car people (specially but not just women) will able to notice the difference
>implying not-cadillac car people will be able to notice the difference
Fucking burgers and their pretensions that trim levels are different models

South American here, how can they be so expensive there? Here it's car guys' hell and old merc diesels are still cheap to run

Faggot, what I'm saying is that an aristocrat who buys a Sonderklasse doesn't go behind the wheel. If you're going to pretend you're wealthy in such a car and want to be credible at all you better get a chauffeur. What puts the Sonderklasse above the rest of the models is the luxury found in the rear. FFS.
No one buys a F-segment sedan for the pleasure of driving if.

Stay the fuck away from V8 Mercedes from the 70s and 80s, they will rape your wallet with fuel. God help you if you ever need major engine components.

The six cylinder BMW and Mercedes of the period are renowned for their reliability, if not their outright performance. Get an E34 535i/540i or E39 540i. For the Mercedes get a W123 coupe, any version but the 4 cylinder is fine. The later 90s Mercedes Benz went a weird direction with styling and they suffered from quality issues from the mid 90s onwards.

Remember though:

1. Be willing to pay more for a good condition car. It's cheaper than trying to fix a shitbox.

2. Make sure service records are 100% there and up to date.

3. Buy a car from an old person, preferably the original owner. Don't go to dealerships.

I love the idea of this OP. Just make sure your suit is modern.

Lol no. You'll look like a ghetto drug dealer that fell into a time warp
Old money look is a Volvo wagon

Ask anyone with a w126 with a v8 how their timing chain is doing, or about the headgasket in their inline 6, or about the biodegradable wiring harness. Again, I get what you're saying but there's just a lot of pretty substantial issues on the "over engineered" older Benzes that happen well before 150k miles.

>Old money look is a Volvo wagon
LOL where did you get that one from? Top gear car for aristocrat episode?

none of those apply to the benz diesels, faggot

>how can they be so expensive there
Americans believe in luxury brands. We're consumerist through and through. It doesn't matter that a part cost x to make. We want to pay x+y to be higher in the social hierarchy. If you sold it to us cheaper we'd assume it's low quality.

my man

This. Just look at the cost difference between Nissan and Infiniti parts.

I don't know who you're trying to fool, people with money aren't driving old german luxury cars, certainly nothing you could get in your pathetic $3,000 budget.

From Living in Fairfield County......

Muh dick

The idea is a rich guy bought the car originally for its actual MSRP and maintained it till now giving off an "old money" vibe because he wants to be the rich old man to stubborn to get a new car

Unless OP is 60+ years old how is he ever going to pull that off in any kind of believable way? He is going to look next level fedora poser and nobody will want to have sex with him

Lmao, you'd have to be a retard to think OP is old money, he's probably 25-30 at the oldest. Even old money doesn't drive around in beaters, they drive Teslas shit like the Mercedes S Class
>He is going to look next level fedora poser and nobody will want to have sex with him
This, I'd say he'd get more ass with xxx vehicle but at $3k he's not getting shit

240D, gets really good mileage, but its slow as shit with like 70hp. Step up, and a 300D will keep up with traffic but gets a little less mpgs

Lexus LS400 for Toyota meme-reliable luxury. I don't think it's below $3000 though.

This

FYI in the States an older diesel benz is associated with eccentric old white guys who wear weird looking glasses. My friend is in the middle of a transmission replacement on his auto 240D right now, and before that had issues with the injectors. Old cars are old man, overbuilt or not. Injection pumps are suspect, and especially in our winters in northern states, a diesel benz is quite frankly a liability.

Sorry but not everyone worships this fabled godly German engineering, it's simply proven to be impractical for most casual owners in the states. They're honestly better off with some generic domestic shitheap (mid 00s Impala or something).

Exactly.
It could be a family heirloom.
See above.
>This, I'd say he'd get more ass with xxx vehicle but at $3k he's not getting shit
No one has to know it's a 3k car. Besides, the most expensive thing about a merc isn't the price tag, it's running it. Unless of course you know what you're doing. Keep it nice and clean and it should do the job 'ight. Besides it's not just about pussy, it's a social experiment. I want to see how much of an influence social class plays on people.

Post a pic of your fedora collection

You can't judge the Deustchshit too harshly, especially since a lot of this stuff is now almost 35 years old. You have to appreciate for what they are, not make comparisons to cars made 20 years after.

It's absolutely necessary to get something with good bodywork/paint with a good block/pistons and running gear. Everything else is replaceable from wreckers for cheap.

>No one has to know it's a 3k car.
They'll know when they see you driving it, no one is fooled by an old Benz. People will actually look down on you more than if you bought something more practical. I always laugh when I see nigs driving old german luxury cars because they're unreliable as fuck, expensive to maintain, and worth way less than my car which is in itself nothing special.

>No one has to know it's a 3k car. Besides, the most expensive thing about a merc isn't the price tag, it's running it. Unless of course you know what you're doing. Keep it nice and clean and it should do the job 'ight. Besides it's not just about pussy, it's a social experiment. I want to see how much of an influence social class plays on people.

Running a Benz is only expensive if you take it to a dealer for servicing. You can side step a lot of the costs if you buy cheap from German websites for new stuff/ use wrecking yards and do all the work yourself.

>implying
You do have a point there, I hadn't really thought of that. There's no diesel coupes so I guess I'll have to get a W124 unless I find a diesel swapped coupe.
This.

That's what I've been trying to say in reference to the 90s Toyota econobox comparison. I totally understand how much more overbuilt and sturdy the benz is, but as a 'beater,' the significantly more modern Toyota is far and away the more practical choice for most non-enthusiast owners.

where are you from op?

That's why I said
>Unless of course you know what you're doing.
The average guy thinks they're a white elephant. Same happens with jags, but they're right in that case.

Virginia, moving to a small city near the Nebraska/Kansas border.

needs a bit of paint but under budget

If every car purchase was purely practical all vintage cars would be scrapped.

A car is an embodiment of the age it was built in and the subsequent owners.

A 10 year old Toyota is a fine, boring car that will take you from A to B more reliably than a 35 year old Mercedes or BMW. That's not what we're talking about in this thread.

80s and 90s shit is now actually getting pretty old and there is going to be a nostalgia tax for Generation X reliving their youth in the coming years, it's already happening with the E30 M3 and the R32 Skyline. I'm not foolish enough to think that a 300D is going to be a shitload of money but a 560SEC or a BMW E24 M6 is sure as shit going to be. Anything associated with Group A racing honestly.

Is that a Roush?

>I always laugh when I see nigs driving old german luxury cars because they're unreliable as fuck, expensive to maintain, and worth way less than my car which is in itself nothing special.
Still more comfy :^)

I seriously doubt it, they don't have heated seats or Android Auto

>they don't have heated seats
too bad they do
>Android Auto
>Android
kill yourself my man
iOS masterrace

my car has apple car play as well, I just use an android phone currently

might switch to iPhone soon