>Porsche 996 as a DD

Is this a stupid idea?

Other urls found in this thread:

lnengineering.com/products/ims/ims-solution-for-single-row-ims-my00-05.html
youtube.com/watch?v=dndanlFmcW8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>IMS bearings

Great idea. Comfy fast manual transmission car

Want to get an early N/A watercooled 911/Boxster but are afraid of the infamous IMS issue? Well I'm gonna try to change your mind

>What is an IMS
The intermediate shaft has been present on Porsche flat 6 engines ever since the original air cooled 911 all the way up to the 9x7.1 generation 911s, Caymans, and Boxsters
It's used to indirectly drive the camshafts and is in charge of engine timing

>What goes wrong?
The IMS itself is perfectly fine, the problem was when Porsche switched to watercooled engines they needed a bearing on the flywheel side of the engine, and with their infinite wisdom they decided to use a sealed bearing with a lifetime grease
What happens over time to a small handful of these bearings is that the grease dries out and it fails, causing the IMS to throw the timing out of sync and grenade the entire engine in seconds
The bearing on the opposite side is lubricated by engine oil and has never been known to fail

>How often to these fail?
Engines from '97-'99 use a robust dual row bearing that has a failure rate of less than 1%, it's the engines made from '00-'04 that use a weak single row bearing that has a failure rate as high as 10%
But don't worry just yet, general consensus is that if the bearing in your car is faulty it would have failed before 40k miles
In addition the best way to keep it healthy is to actually drive your car like a Porsche should be driven; low mileage garage queens are more prone to failure

>How much would this cost me to repair?
If you have a higher mileage car I wouldn't worry too much, especially if your car has a dual row bearing
Fixes include:
>replacing the bearing with a new OEM part - $100
>IMS Guardian - $400
>replacing the bearing with an aftermarket ceramic bearing - $600
>removing the seal and adding a flange that directly feels engine oil to the bearing - $800
The last option is the only true way to fix the problem, but I personally don't feel any of this is necessary

>IMS
nevermind that noise

I daily a 986 and is pretty great

the brake pedal took a little bit to get used to, but besides that it all good.

Porsche maintenance interval is insane and expensive.

say ahhh

not a stupid idea if you install this: lnengineering.com/products/ims/ims-solution-for-single-row-ims-my00-05.html

>only effected SOME
>most have been fixed
>any car is perfect

>don't discuss things or put facts on a message board
>just keep posting memes

How come they don't mention labor for any of these fixes?

Don't you have pull the engine and crack the engine cases apart to do it?

Are Porsche capable daily drivers? I always thought they were high strung sports cars.

>Don't you have pull the engine and crack the engine cases apart to do it?

no, you just have to take down the gearbox and you've got access to the IMS and RMS.

In the boxster you've got to take out the exhaust too .

this is why people recommend swapping out the bearing with each clutch change.

youtube.com/watch?v=dndanlFmcW8

Easy fix and costs a couple hundred bucks.

>not getting a 991
are you poor or something?

911's aren't sport's cars, They are GT's

The GT2 and GT3 (RS) models are pretty hardcore, but the normal ones are civilized enough to be a daily.

yes its one the thing that make them good and their RR and MR are more practical that you would expect.

Very little difference in performance

it's a great idea if you're rich