ASX Thread

How did you do today?

What stocks are you watching?

What stocks are you investing in, and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

investopedia.com/terms/m/movingaverage.asp
asx.com.au/asx/statistics/announcements.do?by=asxCode&asxCode=rsl&timeframe=D&period=M6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Holding onto GXY until December.

On another note, can someone explain capital gains tax to me? Do I have to manually pay it come tax time or does it get automatically deducted somehow?

NUH up to 8c, highest its been in ages.
Hopefully it surpasses its midyear high of 11c sometime soon.

Interested in GPP, recently had a couple of good announcements with a massive amount of growth in the past week.
Apparently there another announcement in store sometime soon, so expecting it to rise again. Wont buy in until I find a good source of that upcoming announcement.

Come tax time, ie last couple of months, you need to declare you total capital gains ie your net revenue from messing around with shares. Not the sources of those gains though.
If your capital gains come from shares you've held for more than 12 months, you only need to declare half of your profit from said shares.

If you have bought and sold some shares does the calculation of capital gains work on a FIFO or LIFO basis? Prefer a quick answer here rather than digging through tax info

Do you mean two separate buy orders on the same share with a single sell date?
If so, you would have to calculate the CG for each order I think.

Specifically if you've bought shares at numerous times, selling a few then buying more again.

Say:
-Bought 4000 shares at $1
-Bought 3000 shares at $2
-Sold 1000 shares at $1.5
-Bought 500 shares at $3

Then you sell the remainder, do you calculate the 1000 you sold on a FIFO or LIFO basis? Really should go through some tax info but cbf

Does it matter?

To the ATO, yeah I'd imagine it would lol

That's honestly a tricky one.
I would honestly try and say its $500 of capital loss, but Im not sure what the proper thing to do would be.
Would you like to pay 100% the capital gains tax or 50%? Thats why it matters

>Would you like to pay 100% the capital gains tax or 50%? Thats why it matters
Why not just average the price of the shares?

That might actually be the way to go.
But what if you bought 2 lots of shares on either side of the 12 month ago mark? Selling the initial packet would get you 50% CGT while selling the second would put you in the 100% CGT zone.

The two ETF's I hold have gone to shit. Have owned VAP for about 18 months, was solidly performing but I left it too late to sell out so I'm holding on for the ride now.

VTS is ok but not really going anywhere

I am about to sink another 10k into a single stock but am yet to do any research

That's now how you invest in ETFs

What

thanks for that

bump
dont die during the week ASX thread

In at .67 out at 2.35 with cgrw

Oh and looking at awbn and grcu

Noice
How did you get wind of it at 67 cents?

Asx Up 35 or so points today which is looking more positive than last week

In the US at least, most clearing firms default to FIFO unless the client specifies differently

If you want to sell specific lots, or identify specific lots to be sold contact your financial representative and let him know, this will be reflected on your statements and tax forms at year end

A broad market Etf is a product designed to be held over multiple business/economic cycles. They are not shares in a particular company: there is no point waiting for a 'catalyst' or an announcement or milestone to see price movement.

Hypothetically, holding such a product for several years at a loss shouldn't concern you. If it that prospect does, it's not a suitable investment.

I'm aware of that, and the fact the price has fallen does not concern me

Is there somewhere I can find info on the Sydney property market trends on the ASX website? Or other economic trends?

Lay off the smashed avo m8

Fekin tell me m8

Where can I find good reports on the Syd residential property markets? On asx? A bank website? Link me bruv

Not on PC so don't have the data but was doing some analysis on the Sydney housing market for my mate the other day and there's clearly a bubble.

If this isn't a troll could you show me your analysis (or even a watered down version, or screenshot), because I'd be really interested in understanding the methods people use to analyse this stuff.

And yeah just based off prices I've heard about it sounds ridiculous. It can't last more than another year or two with out popping or at least flattening off.

And I'll keep bumping the thread until you're at your PC

Is it too unethical to buy AAD as it dips like hell in the next day or so? Surely the rebound could make for some easy cash.

Certainly not, but what if it doesn't recover any time soon?
What if the ensuing investigation reveals major corners cut on the safety of that ride?

Thoughts on cka?

Holding "Alliance Mining Corp" for the rocket to take off.

Ardent has a diverse range of profitable operations, I doubt a fine for the accident, is going to decimate the company.

I think worst case scenario it'll be $15mil fine. Considering that Ardent probably has insurance for such events I think it'll be ok. Recently someone died on a ride at the Royal Adelaide show and I think that was a $3mil maximum penalty.

Hey fellas, thought you might be interested.

I ended up putting in 2 buy orders for this stocko
a 1.5k at 2.10 and 1.5k at 2.
The decline this morning was so sharp that I got my stock at $1.88.

As I post this AAD has seen a pretty big rebound and I'm selling at $2.20.

WAKE ME UP

If you're going to die and hold a company at fault, do it at 3pm Mon-Thurs.

How on earth do you guys invest? Fellow ausfag sittinf in bed right now getting ready for uni with 0 idea about investinf.

Fuck yeah, thats some easy cash
Well done user

Yeah gonna watch this boys might get into
Trading around 2.10 but noo where near the 52 week loowe

Based

Hot off the presses, boys.

Whats the cause of the rise in the past couple of weeks? Announcements don't seem to tell much
Also, commsec. Steeper brokerage fees tho (20$)

Off topic, but what do you guys do for a career and/or study?
Do you have any other investments besides equities?

It's recently RTO relisted from the old shell SRT so if you haven't read the announcements from those days I suggest you do..

There are many reasons, but one of the stronger ones for me is that the team behind this little company are among the best in the industry. This tiny little 55mil MC Fintech stock.
That and the man behind the RTO, one of the directors, actually said last year that he expects the SP to be 10c - 20c if not more. He holds over 100m shares himself.

Based on "peers" if all NPAT milestones are hit, we're looking at a company worth of 1Billion+. It is important to note that the man behind the whole actual company side, Mark fisher, wont get his shares unless they are actually hit.
The last milestone is a NPAT of 40mil before June 2019.

I'll leave it up to you to read up on what the company does in detail but in short due to changes in the industry, IAM offers %40 cost savings to financial planners by offshoring and utilizing both human and robo advice, a hybrid so to say. This saving alone will take many planners from borderline losses to profitability in a struggling sector.
Did I also mention that IAM is the only choice for said planners currently? The first mover advantage is huge.

They sound like the whitest team to ever grace a company board, im sold.

I dont understand this image at all

Where would i find informtaion that explains what the 10 day moving average means

I would have to check my textbook but I belive LIFO is illegal in australia for inventory valuations however I am not sure if this is valid for stocks

investopedia.com/terms/m/movingaverage.asp

Also "presto" ann out tonight for IAM should anyone be interested...
asx.com.au/asx/statistics/announcements.do?by=asxCode&asxCode=rsl&timeframe=D&period=M6

Sounds good, but what's the catch - Why is it trading so cheaply?

The catch, I think is it's complete lack of exposure and little information for investors to go by without having to piece everything together. I mean, you're hearing about it on Veeky Forums so yea lol.

Anyways, last nights' presentation changed all that.

I know "we" don't like hotcopper but go have a look at the IAM threads, there are people there that actually went and talked to the directors and seem to be pleased..
Take everything with a grain of salt but If you can filter out the shit on Veeky Forums you can do the same there.

Thinking about closing my short position on $AAD this arvo but considering there might be a legal case regarding the accident I might hold on for a bit.

What broker do you use to short stock? What position size do you need to take and what are the fees?

Bump

WA just legalized Medical Marijuana, and companies can apply for a grow license this weekend.

Good time to buy weed stocks, MXC, MMJ etc.

Spikes in these companies' share prices will come from the legalization of each state, approval of grow licenses and TGA approval. Worth throwing a couple thousand on for quick profit.