Would you guys recommend getting a stick shift for a daily driving 35+ miles everyday...

Would you guys recommend getting a stick shift for a daily driving 35+ miles everyday? Or would i be better off with an automatic?

Depends on traffic, how much is stop n go?

just get the manual

>"dude it is SO hard to press the clutch over and over again in traffic! Last time I drove to downtown LA I pulled hammy!"
bitch

I have a 40mile one way commute, none of my vehicles are automatic.

Yeah because personally traffic doesn't bother me.
I have to commute into Los Angeles 5 days a week 52 miles round trip. Half of the time in rush hour traffic.
I still choose to drive stick though just because I enjoy doing so.

Miami traffic, will have to drive to the airport everyday from homestead

It's fucking irritating, 35 miles in LA traffic could be 2 hours of ...

Clutch out
Tap gas
Clutch in
Brake
Repeat every 5 seconds

Fuck LA

Manuals are an old technology that poorfags clasp onto since they are cheaper to buy/own.

"can" and "want to" are two different things

If enough of your commute can be spirited driving, go with the stick

>a lot of new cars still have manual option
>some new cars only come in a manual
>people are still buying these cars because it's more engaging and fun

Fuck off bus rider.

If you learn to creep and don't ride people's asses you can hande any commute with standard. (I drive a standard 5ton in traffic all day)

Patience is the name of the game with standard city driving.

Double clutch, short shift and take your time getting to the lights and youll be fine. I often make a game of seeing how long i can go without coming to a full stop, and enjoy maximizing efficiency

I drive an 85 mile round trip in traffic 5 days a week in a manual trans. Doesn't bug me that much.

You're wrong

I used to do 50 miles each way for my commute. No problems and the car made the ride more fun.

Depends on how much is stop and go. Its really irritating and annoying to have to stop at every intersection. Where I live every intersection is red for twice as long because there are always protected left turns on both sides.

I have a manual and I really dislike it in stop and go. Is it going to be a short light? A long light? Should I keep the clutch depressed and stress out my bearing or neutral plus handbrake? Am I in the left turn lane and is the fag behind me going to honk if I don't drop the clutch and stomp the gas the second the light turns green? It was fine when I lived in other areas with longer stretches of road without stupid traffic lights... its just not enjoyable anymore though.

Also newer automagics will be better on gas if you care about that sort of thing.

i dd in los angeles, definitely exaggerating when ppl say its hard or impossible.
and sometimes, it all makes sense when you just get that 10 second opportunity to perfectly match your gear and take off

Is this b8 or are you a boomer Manuel cuck

Automatic tranny for commutes w/ traffic. Manual tranny if no traffic.

Well Miami traffic starts at about 3 to 6. It doesn't matter if it's the turnpike or US1 it'll be stop and go traffic where ever you try going. I might say traffic is worse on US1 just because you'll have to deal with red lights every couple of miles. It's a lose lose situation.

Hey Daniel the city is having another bus pass sale.

stop and go traffic is honestly not a big deal, just find car with a forgiving clutch and go for manual if you want to enjoy the non-traffic parts of your commute

I drive to college early in the morning when there's heavy traffic, and what bugs me is the traffic itself, not the amount of effort required to repeatedly inch forward and stop. I don't mind that, it's just second nature at this point. if I were driving automatic, I'd be annoyed AND bored

Driving in stop and go with *any* manual feels like you are actually hurting the car. Like its not meant for that kind of thing.

Its not, manuals are more suited for open road intense driving

autos are perfect for traffic and easy laid back driving

I know exactly what you mean, and I feel like you're probably just giving it too much gas when you put in first gear, and letting off the clutch too fast. if you let off the clutch very slowly, and give it little to no gas, the car should take off slowly and smoothly, without stalling. when you need to stop, just get out of first gear, leave it in neutral and keep your foot on the brake pedal

I don't think that has anything to do with it. just because your 1999 toyota corolla comes with a manual gearbox doesn't necessarily mean it's meant for "open road intense driving." I do agree that autos are obviously meant to be more comfortable, by why would a car manufacturer make a car that suffers in stop and go traffic? if you feel like you're hurting your car by stopping and going repeatedly, that's probably because you're trying launch it every time you inch forward

I find that driving a manual in traffic is more fun than auto. At least dealing with the clutch and gears gives you something to occupy yourself with.

1. If the rest of the world drives manual in traffic, you can too. It's easy. My daily commute is through Tampa traffic, where sometimes the highway is going 20mph.

2. To do traffic in a manual, just crawl in 2cd gear. You don't have to do stop and go, just give them space in front of you, and slowly crawl. This will help the autotragic drivers behind you so they can just crawl and not stop n' go.

3. Commuting in a manual is not hard, it's just like commuting in any other car. If you want it easy, you're just going to trade the entire driving experience away.

4. Driving manual will and always be better for gas. You can shortshift as much as you want, and select the RPM in which to shift at. The EPA numbers for manuals are people driving and shifting at 3k-4k rpms. I shortshift at 2k-2.5k and get better economy than the EPA estimated automatic. (2014 Civic)

Whew

>35+ miles every day
that's literally a quarter of what I drive for personal pleasure every night.

>2016
>not utilizing the old ignored roads that do perfect loops around your metroplex for your shenanigans

What the fuck does that even mean "omg I hurting poor old car!" Get the fuck out of here with that shit, 80% of the world outside America drives manual in much shittier traffic conditions and no one gives a shit.

Just get something with a DCT

its cheaper and slower than the gt3rs kek

>I drive for personal pleasure every night
bus rider detected

yo same. I just purchased a 135i stick, been living in Miami all my life. Not that bad so far.

>From Homestead to MIA
Jesus fucking Christ my dude. You might just want to move closer to the airport.

I fucking wish

Nice what's your most optimal route? Thinkin about takin US1 then booking it down Palmetto because fuck tolls my dude

Whatever you prefer, tbqh. Makes no difference if it's just an A to B commuter.

I have a 3 way commute thay spans 50 miles DAILY, I only drive STICK

if you actually think aboiut not choosing a manual because you have to drive each day, dont get one. i would never even take something like
>i have to drive 35 miles a day
into account when aksing myself to take a manual or automatic.

its amazing seeing people discuss this. as if driving a manual is something exhausting and if you drive a lot you need to "step up" to an automatic because its less demanding. if your mindset is ACTUALLY that way, just get the FWD auto diesel and leave.

Its not bad if you really like driving. I take my manual into stop and go traffic just cuz I want to drive it over my daily sometimes.

And that same GT3 RS got so much backlash for being PDK-only that they're most likely giving it a manual option with the facelift.

Only 4% of new cars sold now are manual. You're pretty much objectively retarded if you buy a stick for a dd in heavy traffic.

By any chance you going to the tech school by there?

If you are asking about it then dont get it, get it more as if you like manual better than auto, traffic in a manual is not that big of a deal and believe me I drive a stage 3 clutch and its not that bad

I've been driving manual since I was 16. I currently have a ~40 minute commute everyday. Honestly don't even think about it.

I have been driving manual for all 11 years I've had my license, including living in 8 different places (including cities like Flint, Detroit, and Charleston; and rural areas of Alabama and Florida). I've had 5 cars (one of them an SUV) and all of them have been manual and I just don't see why anyone would have a problem driving a manual in any situation whatsoever...

Hell, traffic jams in the snow in Detroit in my STi (super-heavy clutch pedal) never bothered be a bit; I don't even think about it. Pic related; "Flint Michigan's a long way from Hollywood" ~Dayton Family.

A lot of you guys are either obese or just giant pussies.

hmmm this doesnt sound like bait at all you guys

Standard focus is nice, they go for about 18k new around my area, been looking at getting one myself.

I commute about 60 miles a day so a standard is no problem with such a light clutch, I just wouldn't try to daily a truck or anything big.

get automatic

Can someone explain the "manual is not for traffic" meme, is it so hard for people to press the damn clutch in?

I just got a new wrx. How's your sti in the snow? What kind of tires do you run in the winter?

Well, I sold it 2 years ago so I don't still have it, but I had Blizzaks on a set of Rotas (so I didn't fuck up the BBSs in the winter). It was absolutely magical compared to other cars. Lifted 4x4s and police tahoes would be either spinning out of control or off the road and I would just accelerate in a straight line laughing.

Also, the STi had 3 limited slips, which helped.

Just know that AWD and LSDs will not help you in braking situations, always assume that there is a dumbass up ahead who will try braking and skid 40 mph into the green intersection that you're approaching. AWD can help you "vector" the car with your throttle around corners but once traction is gone - it's gone - and awd doesn't help one bit. Snow tires help with braking though, so can disabling ABS.

Enjoy that WRX. Go stage 2 with used parts and it will blow your face off.

I drive 40+ miles every day, including city driving and traffic in both the city and on the highway. Manual isn't an inconvenience at all, that's just an American meme that you're using to justify driving a babby automatic.

>faggot
>big faggot
Choose two

>j-just kill me, I've s-seen too m-much

>since they are cheaper to buy
They aren't, though. Manual is always more expensive in the used market, and this is Veeky Forums we're talking about. Very few of us are looking to buy new.

I drive 60+ miles every day with a manual, no problem.

Busses don't run around the city at night user, those are city-to-city busses.

>I've never seen more than 20 cars in one place the thread
Fuck stop and go with a shtick. Manuel is quite literally Veeky Forums's "Holy fuck I'm so good at flying."

It's not that manual is hard, it's that automatic is really, really fucking easy.

I drive a 60 mile trip twice a week in LA traffic in a manual car. My right leg gets sore sometimes but my clutch leg never does.

>Veeky Forums is one person

>stick shift

Die American

>Die American
German pls go

If traffic, go with automatic

If just cruising, go with standard

Not very hard. But there is a reason why people dropped stick once automatics became more fuel efficient.

I got an automatic transmission because I wanted one. Honesty I was choosing between two cars: manual Ford Fiesta or automatic Hyundai Elantra. Eventually went with the Elantra but I can't help but think how different my life would be if I had the fiesta. People say it's a fun car to drive, especially referring to when it's in manual transmission.

Bottom line is go for what you want but don't let us sway you too much. There's a lot of different opinions here.

I used to be one of those people that was anti-manual transmission (especially in stop and go traffic/close quarters) because I felt like it just added to the hassle of driving. But after having matured a bit, I am quite the opposite. My drive is boring as shit as it is. At least the manual transmission makes it a little bit more interesting and I can occasionally ride out 2nd gear while pretending I am schumacher if I get enough road room