Cars will continue to become more like computers and less like actual cars

>cars will continue to become more like computers and less like actual cars.

>cars will be completely automated in 20 years

I want to tell myself this isn't going to be true, but deep down I know it is.

>pushrod engine building will soon die, and the last high revving 350 engine will run out of methanol

Buy a baiku baka gaijin

baiku dontu comu with automatedu shitu

>Mazda rescues the world with their rotary engines, overpowering everything else while being a gaijillion time more efficient

>efficiency
>rotary

as someone who plans to buy a 13b someday, those two subjects don't overlap...

>All the hours you wrenched on your car
>All the people who spent time documenting their aftermarket work
>The communities you relied on to get the best performance
>Got it engineered better than even the factory could do

>Into the gutter because of Elon Musk

Effiecent and rotary dont even go in the same sentence, senpai.

This, there is an obscene amount of information on the internet for the most specific parts of any given engine or component of a car. All of it worthless now.

>it's time to even the playing field

You literally linked one of the most electronics-dependent motorcycles in existence

If a road is blocked off to a car accident and you have to ride on the side skirt, will autonomous cars do it? How will they know if a tire blew? Say you're a trucker that got replaced by a brand new autonomous truck, will the truck be able to load freight, tarp flatbeds, know what loading dock number to back into, etc.?

I may be tin foil but autonomous transportation that can completely replace a driver is far more than 20 years away. Auto pilot in planes don't replace pilots. Subways controlled by computers don't replace an actual operator on board. It's just unrealistic that we will have autonomous cars anytime soon. In 20 years, I see "cruise control" being more like auto pilot and able to travel on highways hands free, and the possibly of city navigation in cities that develop infrastructure for it.

If anything government bureaucracy will keep auto drive only cars away for much longer then 20 years

>blocked road
You're either gonna have autonomous cars on their own separate roads, or regular cars will be completely removed.
Anyways, they'll most likely have some sort of system that either lets you drive on a different lane or that stops until shit's right again.
>blown tire
With pressure sensors becoming a mandatory thing in new cars, easy to tell.
>trucks
Driving from A to B and parking in X or Y dock is not an issue. Loading and shit can be done by underpaid workers or robots.
20 years into the future, I'm leaning on the latter.

No they won't.
Apple just dropped its "iCar" project because the market research they did just didn't indicate the self-driving cars would be a thing in the near future.

This whole "self driving" shit is just a gimmick and will be for a good 50 years.
It takes a completely harmonised and unified infrastructure to make it possible, and there's no such thing as of yet nor there'll be in 20 years.

20 years ago people believed we would have flying cars by now. We still predict fantasies. The government won't let autonomous vehicles completely replace transportation. As far as trucking goes, 90% of the industry is owner ops and small businesses with a few truckers. Why would they buy their replacements? Freightliner has already tried releasing "adaptive cruise" like technology in their trucks and drivers and companies hated it and they stopped putting it in trucks.

If the government and corporations really wanted a cheaper autonomous automated way of transportation, we wouldn't have pilots any more. We wouldn't have train operators anymore. But you believe in 20 years we will have new roads and autonomous cars? This country can't even keep up with budgeting to take care of the roads we have now. Bet those flying cars are coming out next year.

Your country just as mostly all other countries in the world.

I'm not saying this is what I believe will happen, or even that it's realistic, I'm just saying it can be done.
I hope autonomous cars (and electric cars) gets backed the fuck off so I can drive my 6.5TD in peace for the next 20 years.
And whenever the engine blows, I'm going to replace it and drive another 20.

It's possible that new technologies could allow for a more efficient rotary engine. The last rotary engine designed was over 10 years ago and sucked ass due to cost cutting on the RX8 overall.
The RX9 has to compete with Mercedes and BMW cars in the same price range and it'd be financial suicide if Mazda launched it with a worse engine than the RX7. Plus it'll share the same target demographic as Mercedes and BMW and that market of people don't want to be topping up their oil every time they stop for fuel.

You underestimate the power of automotive lobbies

>The RX9 has to compete with Mercedes and BMW cars in the same price range and it'd be financial suicide if Mazda launched it with a worse engine than the RX7.
It won't. Ever.
RXs were always a niche car that almost nobody considered. They won't sell virtually anything in Europe, so the only markets that'll ever be relevant for them will be America and Japan. Nothing else.
Plus, wankels are fuel inefficient by design.

I seriously doubt Mazda will actually go through with it, despite saying they'll produce it.
And if they are, it won't be a rotary... Not with these kind of emission restrictions.

> Tfw when I was a kid I genuinely thought I'd never need a driver's license Since I'd get a pilot license to drive my flying car
> Tfw I'm getting a 30 year old shitbox instead