Which of these cars should I buy as my DD (it will be driven 80% of the time with my old 1991 toyota pickup being the...

Which of these cars should I buy as my DD (it will be driven 80% of the time with my old 1991 toyota pickup being the other)

>New 2017/18 Honda Civic Type R
>1999-2004 Porsche 996 (50-100k miles)
>2004-2009 Porsche Cayman S (30-60k miles)

Plan on keeping the car for at least 5 years, probably longer if I get the Civic, although the civic will cost more than the other 2 by around 10k

Mx7 or s2000

Cayman s

The new Civic will cost you the most to own due to depreciation.
The 996 is at the bottom of the depreciation curve so it could cost you the least to own if you avoid any major repairs.
The Cayman will be more fun to drive than either.

>if you avoid major repairs

That's my fear with the 996, with the Cayman I can get it new enough to get a third party warrenty. I've heard plenty of horror stories with the 996s

4 Door Type R will be more practical obviously, but not quite as fast.
I'm gonna have to go with the lawn mower

Just buy the lawnmower

It's faster than either of the others.

135i or 335i?

Either of the porshes desu, the civic will eat your ass financially compared to the other two, plus it's a way cheaper, lower performance car. And you don't need the fwd, in inclement weather you can use your truck if need be. Plus with good tires on the porsche you'll be fine anyway.

I work as a Porsche mechanic so here we go.

>1999-2004 996
There's a reason they're so cheap relative to other Porsches, and it's because they have become the daily-driver amongst people who like Porsche in general. Don't expect a 996 to be too well-looked after, most of the 996/986s that I've worked on tend to be in pretty awful condition compared to the 9x7s and 9x1s.

996s are very easy to work on considering they're a rear-mounted engine with RWD.

Base or S 996s are fairly reliable assuming maintenance is kept up, you'll see average things go out like your bump stops, top hat mounts if you have a 4 or 4S, water pump occasionally, transmission mount or oil separator. Check service history to see if any of these repairs have been done, if they have, fuck yeah.

IMS is also a thing on 9x6 and gen.1 9x7 engines, but if you were looking at porsches, you most likely would have came across what its about.

Watch out for oil separators. If the car's gone past 100k kms without a new oil separator, expect mad money as its an engine-out job on a 911. On a cayman/boxster, considerably easier to replace, as mid-engine porsches are literally a smaller 911 engine put in the middle and turned 180 with the transmission following suit.

>Cayman S
One of my favorite Porsches actually, neutral handling, great cargo space considering the size -- a hard-top boxster without the billy joel syndrome.

Same sort of deal with maintenance of the 996 barring top hats, never seen one go in a cayman/boxster. Oil separators arent as bad either as you dont have to pull the engine out. The transmission mount in a cayman would be the engine mount, as per the whole "same engine but 180 degrees" deal.

Try to find a 2008 onwards, as the gen 2s have a new engine and if you didnt want manual, the PDK transmission is actually amazing to drive. New engine means no need to have irrational fears of your IMS destroying everything you love around you.

In short, fuck 911s caymans are life.

cont.

Maintenance of a porsche can be moderately expensive, even if you DIY it. Depending on the engine, your cayman or 911 can take from 7 to 8-and-then-some litres of full synthetic oil.

Porsches absolutely devour tyres and brakes. Expect to see your tyres balding from the inner edge due to factory recommendations of camber and toe during wheel alignments. If you've ever tried heavy braking in a porsche, you'd get why they devour discs and pads, especially on the S models and higher.

One thing to note with Porsches is that all the pedals are slightly shifted to the left a little, not as bad as your early air-cooled Porsches, but still something that might get you the first few minutes you drive. I remember the first time I hopped in and thought the accelerator pedal was the brake. Luckily the car wasn't on and I didn't commit to the thought.

Don't buy a 9x6 or gen1 9x7 auto. Tiptronic is a shit transmission. if you really wanted auto, buy a PDK transmission.

The Cayman S is my top choice currently. The only thing holding me back is the possible expenses of major mechanical problems. Although by the time you factor that in compared to a civic type r it would be the same amount of money.

Porsche enthusiast here, I also wreck/sell Porsche parts. If you're getting a Porsche to daily drive go with the Cayman, best handling/power/reliability/cost of ownership amongst the modern Porsches at the moment. I've got multiple 996's, a 986, a 993 & a 987 Cayman, and my favourite to actually drive is the Cayman by far.

Porsche 996 is getting to the point where parts are very cheap though as they share 70% of the car with the far cheaper 986 Boxster!

thing is, can you afford $2000 of porsche basic maintenance each 2 month

>falling for the fwd meme

I averaged less that $1K per year on my 986 Boxster, not including tires.

>somebody has never read Porsche maintence manual

Even with breakages it isn't that bad. Remember you only get horror stories on the Internet, not the average boring stories.

How is FWD worse than RWD

>understeer
>wheel hop
>less traction on drive wheels with hard acceleration
>doesn't make bitches sopping wet

Are you serious?

>15850923
1st three only matter 5% of your seat time
last point is irrefutable

Dude maintenance on a porsche is insane. An Oil change is like $250

no skids

>tfw my car has exactly 109hp

get the 996 lad, yolo

Cayman is better in every way other than raw horsepower

assuming you don't do it yourself. Nowhere near 250 if you buy the oil and filter and do the work on your own.

The buick version of the insignia opc

Veeky Forums and /k/ are the worst boards for suggesting shit OP didn't even ask for

>A boring heap of shit FWD 'hot' hatch that won't rev past 6,000rpm and be too heavy like the rest
>2 shitheaps with engines so notoriously unreliable, sellers fucking advertise in BIG LETTERs on the ones that have been 'fixed'
Stop being a fucking retard and a glorious master race aircooled

That isn't a problem on the Cayman

Except yes it 100% is a problem on the cayman, just like it's 100% a problem on the boxster, only the 3.4L 'doesn't' have this issue although it still has the stupid fucking bearing.

They only fixed this in the 09 models for the 2.9L.

After more reading, OPs only sensible choices are pre-05 boxsters in which you can swap the bearing without needing to tear the entire engine apart, 05-08 in which case the only option is the 3.4L and prayers, or 09+ which are 'fixed'.

The non-turbo porsche watercooled engines are complete heaps of shit. Weak rods, and even worse weak rod bolts combined with poor cooling for the 6th cylinder with the IMS bearing design being the worst sin of all.

The only way i'd buy an 06-08 cayman was with the knowledge that i'd have the engine town down and a proper LN bearing installed combined with new rod bolts and having everything torqued 100% correctly.
After that, proper maintenance will see it live a happy life, although by the time you've paid for all that you might as well just get the 09 with the nicer interior and have it be worth more value when you go to sell it.