ITT post rattle boxes, ticking time bombs, oil burners, and boat anchors

ITT post rattle boxes, ticking time bombs, oil burners, and boat anchors

>DOHC V8

Keep straight 6

The truth hurts

Power on, Gasket off

Recalls for shitting oil on the exhaust manifold, common ECU malfunctions, EGR channels get blocked with carbon INSIDE the intake manifold.

But works well for me after almost 200 000 miles, only burns a bit of oil.

Oh also; fuck hydraulic lifters. And no real possibility of adjustment, when they are out of spec, you need to remove the camshafts and replace the worn cup tappets.

Rover V8 /thread

Is that one of those GM turbo 4 motors? If so, what do you think of it?

I like this engine bay

Z16XE master race, egr delete and ECU bolted on nice and tight (they vibrate loose and cause earth issues and your car will die in traffic)

>just bought a Z
why?

Is that a GM3800?

Cause those are bulletproof!

No turbo. I actually rather enjoy it, the variable length intake runners ("Twinport") makes it like to live above 2 500rpm or so. Doesn't make a whole lot of power, 103hp at about 6 400rpm and 150Nm of torque at 3 600. But it suits the car, basic econobox but has actually rather good suspension and steering. Enjoyable.

not really. especially if you put a metal intake gasket on there and cometic head gaskets.

it really only blows head gaskets when you mix dexcool and off the shelf generic coolant

People here on Veeky Forums just shit batter this motor cuse

>hurr durr its a V6
>ughh dosnt make cool sounds
>GM general mistake

But the truth is if you want a dd, whos motor will last a very long time as long as you take care of it and even has a S/C variant that can make some pretty decent power. Then the 3800 is a good choice.

damn straight. but you can also give it some extra balls and make it RWD(either in a 4th gen camaro/trans am or in a fiero) and it can be a truley great engine.

>Fiero
>anything but a 3.4 DOHC and titanium/well thought out exhaust

It's like you don't even want it to sound like the beast of Gods.

>what's a 1uz

A boat anchor without turbos.

how much does the 3800 weigh?

also whats the stock block good for power wise?

correct answer incoming

the 3800 is shit. Just because it came as a s/c in a buick with factory forged internals doesn't mean it was good.

>shakes itself apart
>heads flow like shit

Yeah, you just need to bolt ls1 heads on though.

>ls1 heads
>on a v6

what

Do you see any cops around to stop you?

Truth is it's a generic pushrod v6 making shit power for it's displacement.

Truth is it was installed in fail-wheel-drive w-body shitboxes well known for their piss-poor driving dynamics, lazy 4 speed slushboxes that could barely handle the power from a stock s/c 3.8, along with generally terrible build quality inside and out.

boat anchors are heavy

>All these people in here hating on the 3800.

Wew lads.

It's been a while since I've seen a 3800 hate thread

3800s were the quintessential cuckold engines back in the 80s.
Gm put them in everything, including their performance vehicles, because muh emissions and muh fuel economy.

If you want to shit on GM engines there are much better choices than the 3800

2.8/3.1
Quad 4
Iron Duke (reliable, but with NVH and power of something that says Briggs and Stratton on it)

>Quad 4
what was wrong with the Q4?

I mean, we all know why the iron dog sucks... fuck, mail trucks use 'em and I can hear my mailman coming a quarter mile away.

Besides rattling like a mofo the m20 is a fucking incredible engine

Smoggy, inefficient, underpowered anchors from the 70s had no place being used until the 90s.

The aesthetic intake manifold is literally the only redeeming factor of the engine.

Are you on fucking crack? The M20 is stout as all fuck. Sure it doesn't make 100hp/l but it isn't supposed to, and the eta engine is about the best european understressed econo I6 ever.

If you want a shithouse rattlebox ticking time bomb BMW engine... pic related. The worst BMW engine of all time. Least reliable engine they made in the era, ate cams, and didn't make any more power than the stalwart M10 it replaced.

pic related is the only good engine BMW has ever made, simply because of the novelty.

There's a reason people always LS swap their classic BMWs, they've always been shit at making engines.

(you)

I fucking drive a 98 Deville with this deathstar engine.
Mfw when the head blows and water starts overflowing from the cap.
Mfw when I'm left twenty miles from the nearest town.

Forty valves, motherfucker.

If my understanding of Chrysler lore is correct, and it is, this 3.7L "Powertech" is supposed to be an engine of some sort, and the legend goes that if you slap two more cylinders only it, it magically transforms into a "Magnum."

But.

All the same, boat anchor be thy true name. Ask me how I know all this.

This, buddy's mint Bonneville spun a rod bearing at 95k,and that thing was pampered as fuck.

It's a stupid meme engine that sounds like shit and makes shit power.

Onto it. Pic unrelated.

CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK

Best rattlebox?

Best rattlebox.

Timing chains are so reli--

CLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACK

The quad 4 had a lot of issues, but I'd still choose one over a boat anchor 3800 any day.

Fun trivia, my buddy and I just raced in an enduro a few weeks ago, his unkillable super reliable 3800 meme powered lesabre windowed the block, yet my shitty quad 4 ran great until the car got stuffed in the LF. It was also way quicker on the straights.

60 valves son

The M42 isn't much better
When new:
>WHIRRR CLATTER CLATTER CLATTER

When old:
>excuse me while I eat my timing chain guides and snap my idler gear boss clean off of the housing

At least it makes more power than the M40 and has strong internals though.

Muh 3800 bros.

Sure it isn't the most powerful, or the coolest. But it's just a good, solid tank.

Head gaskets and cracked heads mostly.
Timing chain driven water pump is a treat as well.
Had good power but just slightly more refined than the Iron Puke.

Valve stem seals leak oil down into the cylinders and burns it off. Pressure goes down and hydraulic tensioners don't hold the chain tight until you add oil. Happens on my 2v 4.6. Puff of white smoke on start up is indicator. Ford loves them some shitty valve stem seals.

92-95's had the super shit valve stem seals. My old 92 Vic would burn a 1qt ever 200 miles. People would honk at me from the smoke it was choochin out.

the engine in i pulled from a GTP with 250,000 miles. the oil filter housing was completely plugged with gunk so the oil wasnt even getting filtered and it was still going.

i really like the Quad4, but it has an aluminum head on a iron block which is why it destroys head gaskets so much.

This engine was clean as fug inside.

Story time. Stock engine spun the number two rod bearing at 95k. Buys a JY L67, tear it down, one of the heads is cracked.

Buys another JY L67, has a spun rod bearing on # 5.

Buys a random L67 off CL, go through it, check it all out, all seems good, stuff it in the car, still runs good today.

uh the weight is 392 lb according to the internet. ill double check it in a few months.

when it comes to power, the block itself can take a shit-ton of power. the limiting factor on 3800 builds is the transmission 100% of the time. ive seen builds in the 400s easy but they can very rarely use it because the tranny is made of glass.

i mean a 3.8 pushrod V6 with forced induction can be pretty damn good. i think if you really put some effort into it(headers that can actually move air, ported/polished heads and intake, forged rods and pistons), and better form of FI(aka big turbo or twins) and you can make a real mover.

they are not forged internals.

lol people swap bmw engines in literally everything, you're fucked in the head.

mine was clean AF inside too. no scores, no spun bearings. just a blown head gasket on 4/6 cylinders. the car had generic green coolant in it, so that mixing with dexcool caused the gasket failure.

by 4/6 i mean four out of six, not just cylinders 4 and six.

What's wrong with the rover v8? It's easily tuned and reliable as fuck and a quarter the weight of american cast iron v8,

You just changed head gaskets? Well lets do it again.

Keep crying bitch nigga

>Tfw own m40 E30 but too poor for engine swap
Kill me now