Time for a rant

Need some advise Veeky Forums.

So at risk of sounding like a spoiled brat, i need to rant/need advise on how to convince my parents of something.

So im interested in pic related, a 66 el camino, as being my first car that i buy with my money. But sadly i have to finance it because i dont have 13k saved up. The problem is, since this is my 1st auto loan, i need parents to co-sign so i dont get raped by interest and other stuff.

The problem is my parents want me to buy something new-ish because thats the only way i could ever have something reliable. They want me to get a 4cyl Taco or something similar. (good luck at finding one that isnt 10 years old or with 150k miles for that price range) They've been appliance owners whos "maintenance" is taking it to the shop for anything over an oil change and a car wash; I on the other hand have no problem working on vehicles as ive done before. So any advice on how i can convince them to help me buy what i want?

>Inb4 "lol just take what parents give you, you entitled cunt!"

Im 22, just finished college (stem degree) and am going into the coast guard as an MST. Money wont be a real problem seeing as ill be living on base.

Im paying 5k down payment with my own money, and paying the car note/insurance on my own. Literally just need a co-sign to not get raped.

I want an older car because ive had to replace nothing but useless electronics and smog crap/plastic pieces that somehow manage to halt the vehicle on my 2004 silverado along with their toyota and nissan. Im tired of all that useless stuff and want something without all those features.

Not sure what tell you. If I was paying the note and insurance my parents wouldn't have a problem co signing. They told.me if I can't make the payments they won't and either I sell it b4 it's repoed or they will.since they won't have me fucking their credit.

Take your 5k cash and buy a Ranger and fuck right off

Pros of el camino: Other than this being awesome and not another econoblob;
-383 with 700r4, so i should get 18-20mpg on highway vs my "economical" V6 that gets 13.
-0 rust what so ever.
-Has the sound system i want.
-4 wheel power disk brakes
-rebuilt/new motor/trans/rear end, so drive train is all fresh

Cons: (what i know my parents will point out)
-Paint isnt perfect, a few small spots
-small dent in tail gate
-and the major concern for them; no A/C in Texas.

I dont even use the damn A/C in my truck, so thats not a factor for me.

Oh and the last thing they always try to guilt me with; "You'll disapoint a lot of people if you use your graduation money (the 5k) for something foolish."

So am i in the wrong for wanting to buy this thing vs making my parents happy? It'll be my Daily Driver.

Also; I havent fallen for the new=reliable meme.
>land rover
>jag
>jeep (parents bough a 93 cherokee new and in was in the shop for major repairs after 20k miles.
>ecoboost

With their co-sign, my payments would be at the $120 a month mark, so i could easily afford that just on my savings for years to come, not including my base pay that ill be making as an E3.

Then tell them you are gonna buy it with or without their help. With their help you won't get fuck on interest. Without their help is it still doable? If so buy it anyway and just lose some extra money on interest. You are a grown ass man with your own money buy what you want

Im trying to get out of the modern vehicle idea. Besides, rangers are too small for me.

Without co-sign, i believe its at 180 a month. The only reason id like as much help as possible is due to the face that i still have student loans.

Ill get 1800 a month before taxes (all spending money due to base housing).

-Ill have to pay student loans back (i think it'll be 200 a month for a while)
-cell phone bill
and then i have to pay car note plus full coverage which idk what that'll be on this thing.

Im trying to have 1k cash every month after these bills to pay for gas/food/fun/dates/saving. So trying to keep the car note as low as possible.

Post your local Craigslist

Houston Craigslist

>has debt
>wants to go into more debt
Patience young grasshopper

Wait until your student loans are paid off.

Does it have to be that gen? 5th gen El Caminos are very common and cheap. You can't expect to have the perfect muscle car right away. You gotta work for it senpai. $5k will get you a nice 5th gen.

This. Now would be the best time for you to save up some money.

Sadly my truck is on its last leg and im in desperate need for a new vehicle. Im young, single, and no real responsibilities so i might as well have something fun and interesting.

Besides, student loans will get paid off rather quickly once i get out as a vessel examiner and start off with a 90k job.

im only really interested in 72 and older El Caminos. ElCs arent exactly my dream car, but for what this one is and for the price, its too awesome to pass. Id rather have an old muscle car with a big block, but 8mpg isnt what im about.

>financing an old shitbox

holy shit

just take your money and get a generic compact truck

You're counting your eggs before they hatch. You have no idea how long it'll take to get a job. It would be prudent to pay off you student loan and just fix the truck. If you have a credit card you could use that to pay for repairs and pay it off every month, boosting your credit score.

Don't finance the El Camino. It will be a terrible daily. Spend your $5k on a reliable daily then save for the elco once your rolling in this awesome coast Guard money you say you'll be getting.

Protip: your lifestyle/expenses will grow to match your income, so while it may seem like you'll have a lot of spare money now, 6 months into your new job you'll realize that you ate spending most of it on things you 'need' that you didn't nessecarily need before

Buy a 5k old car, drive it until you can afford that shit heap and maybe you'll realize what a pita a classic car is by then.

> saving when you've got student loans
> paying the minimum on everything
> financing a car you can't afford before you even have a job
> buying a car in a different part of the country from where you'll be working

You don't sound entitled and spoiled, you sound like you're stupid.

Have you seriously considered a Civic?

>financing a 1966 El Camino.
Dumbest fucking decision yet. I'm literally the same age as you and I'm not dumb enough to do that new parts or not

no bank will ever allow you to finance somthing you will definitly destroy

its faster and less safe than most anythign else too so there are overwhelming odds taht you will ruin it

>Sadly my truck is on its last leg and im in desperate need for a new vehicle.
How much was the truck used as a truck? If hardly ever, then you didn't need a truck.

>Im young, single, and no real responsibilities so i might as well have something fun and interesting.
It's better to save up a bit and wait for a better opportunity. As others have said, patience. If you get too much debt early on during this debt bubble, you are getting too far out on a limb.

Used it all the time for hauling things, but nothing more than a motorcycle. Sadly after getting t-boned, it has just been one headache after the other.

As far as debt goes, I have very little student debt, so that's why I'm not worried about it.

Who says I'm gonna fucking break anything? Why would I be unable to handle this when there are plenty of boomers who can't handle a v6 mustang? Gtfo.

No, and I never will. The only way I'll ever have a car is if it's a classic. Other wise, I'll just get a truck.

My main problem with everyone saying either spend the 5k on some cheap dd and wait is that I don't want to waste my money on something I hate. I especially won't go into debt to finance a vehicle I really hate just because it's newer.

Owned a 67 bug before and loved wrenching on it. They aren't a pain to be. This is why I'm buying a restored classic, so I don't have to constantly work on it though.

What makes it any more dumb than someone who finances any car? Someone who gets a Chrysler is more than likely on for more repairs than I am.