How come Americans don't have utes but only pickup trucks?

How come Americans don't have utes but only pickup trucks?

Dont you Americans like them?

Other urls found in this thread:

motoring.com.au/ford-falcon-xr6-turbo-ute-2015-review-49034/
caradvice.com.au/43365/ford-falcon-xr6-turbo-ute-review-road-test/
ford.com.au/commercial/falcon-ute/specifications/spec-options
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Chicken tax, if I could buy one I would in a heart beat.

I don't want to drive a gay ass Australian el camino

>be Falcon XRx ute
>stuck with ox cart springs
>payload less than the IRS sedan equivalent
One of the rare occasions the GM product embarrasses the Ford.

Yeah, I like them. The older one like the Ranchero and El Cam. Not this new shit.

the falcon ute can take 1700kg in the tray, wtf are you smoking

for reference a holden one tonner can only take 1300kg

>the falcon ute can take 1700kg in the tray
The Falcon ute was never rated for 1700kg, wtf are you smoking?
The XR falcon utes from the BA on wards weren't even rated for half a tonne, hence the file name in the pic you replied to.

Wait, are you confusing "kerb weight" with "payload"?
Were you dropped on your head as an infant?

>The XR falcon utes from the BA on wards weren't even rated for half a tonne
the gvm for an fg xr6 is 2800+, where you got 453kg payload from i have no idea

fag

motoring.com.au/ford-falcon-xr6-turbo-ute-2015-review-49034/
>Well, that’s not entirely true. The Falcon XR6 Turbo is still a ute, after all, and while its paltry 453kg payload reflects its passenger-car roots
caradvice.com.au/43365/ford-falcon-xr6-turbo-ute-review-road-test/
>Holden’s SS Commodore Ute can hold up to 598kg, while the XR6 Turbo Ute is limited to 565kg. Ford’s leaf spring arrangement comes at the compromise of ride quality and handling, making it a one handed victory to the Holden
ford.com.au/commercial/falcon-ute/specifications/spec-options
>Payload (maximum): Sports - manual: 470
>Payload (maximum): Sports - auto: 542

I spent more time copy/pasting than I did googling "xr6 turbo payload".

relevant information ford.com.au/commercial/falcon-ute/specifications/spec-options

How about towing? XR6 against SV6, we'll say. The XR6T exists solely for highway pulls.

>relevant information
Yes, I linked that genius.
>Payload (maximum): Sports - manual: 470
>Payload (maximum): Sports - auto: 542

Towing braked seems to be 1600kg for both manuals, or 2300kg XR6 auto and 2100kg SV6 auto.

Think its more of a case that Ford gave up after the Aus-gov pulled their charity bucks and the jews in America decided fuck it all as well.
Dead end line.
It was a fun series of cars though while it lasted and while springs are fairly shitty in some ways, they are ridiculously tough which suits our sometimes fucking awful roads.

Protip: they would NEVER make EPA's draconian CAFE standards, that's why we don't have them

The lack of Utes in the US is honestly one of the greatest mysteries/conspiracies in human history.

That makes absolutely no sense.

Utes weigh less and therefore are more fuel efficient than regular sedans/wagons.

>Utes weigh less
look up the kerb weight of a Ford or Holden ute... its kind of scary actually.
Little Hilux's and stuff are still fairly light, but the bigger ones are pretty fat

>the falcon ute can take 1700kg in the tray
Thats impossible, because then it would be over 3500kg gross and you'd need a truck license to drive it.

Being capable of carrying 1.7t is another thing altogether from being "officially" rated for it.

>look up the kerb weight of a Ford or Holden ute... its kind of scary actually.

Oh I know, but my point is though that in the majority of cases they weigh less than the equivalent sedan/wagon etc

So if a pigfat Statesman can pass EPA standards, which it can, Ute isn't a problem at all.

What's the deal with custom imports anyway with regards to the EPA stuff?

As there's several companies that already import utes from Aus to the US and convert them etc

Dunno much about the US EPA stuff, think it varies from state to state. Lot of their importing gets chucklefucked because of protections on local manufacturing... which is kind of funny as they're doing their best to piss it off to cheap places like Mexico or Canada

>That makes absolutely no sense
You're either completely overlooking the "CAFE" standards mentioned, or don't understand how they apply.
I'm pretty sure that pillock has mistook the "rear axle gross" for payload.

>That makes absolutely no sense.
>Utes weigh less and therefore are more fuel efficient than regular sedans/wagons.
Read up on CAFE standards and you'll see what I'm getting at. They are based on the footprint of the vehicle, you're going to have to get the same fuel mileage as a car that's the same size, which just isn't going to happen with a V8 RWD ute that has horrible aero by nature.

Chicken tax makes it too expensive for the final product to be competitive. I love those things so much, I NEED one.

Theyre awesome if you enjoy being wrapped around phone poles

>That makes absolutely no sense.
>Utes weigh less and therefore are more fuel efficient than regular sedans/wagons.
You're an idiot

I want an AU Falcon. I feel it's sadness in life.

Only a problem if you're driving the Falcon ute, which handles like a pickup. The Holden at least handles like the sedan.

They're extremely ugly and not particularly functional as truck or a car.

>They're extremely ugly
Subjective, but I'd beg the differ.
>and not particularly functional as truck or a car
On the contrary, they're extremely functional as both, unless you require more the two or three occupants with your car. But that's something a no friends neet like yourself had to worry about.

Ground clearance, power, interior passenger space. For me, my 1992 Chevy C1500 with a bored out small block and Hedman Headers does everything I need nicely, and still gets along economically on the highway. Long wheel base gives me a smooth ride, and modern radio components keep me in music. Additionally, I have the benefit of not looking retarded and I can actually haul useful things like lumber, drywall, and other cars.

We grew out of the Ranchero and El Camino phase 30 years ago...

They're almost unusable in the snow and can't tow jack shit.

They would probably be a great option if the US didn't have as diverse of a climate. Australia doesn't have the kind of snowfall that the Rockies see.

>I feel it's sadness in life.
It had an even sadder little relative.

They still can't tow dick all. Almost every person I know with a truck has a big travel trailer, a boat or a toy hauler. People that live in rural places also have rough nasty roads to deal with.

Daily reminder:
RIP single cab short bed pickups

>they would be great if the entire US was a combination of Florida and Texas

>projecting this hard
2 seat coupes don't make for practical cars, just as a single cab 2wd compact pickups with zero ground clearance and a tiny box don't make for functional or practical trucks.
Utes somehow amalgamate both into an even shittier combo while being uglier.

They can tow fucking plenty
I see utes every day towing big boats and caravans and "toy trailers"

Ehhh this "little" toy hauler is over 7000lbs, most travel trailers are in the 5k lb range. If you try to tow that with a "ute" down a mountain highway, you're going to be in a world of deep shit. It's easy to tow shit when you live in a flat wasteland, mountains are something else.

>buy diesel truck
>be not as fast as a ute but pretty fuckin fast still
>would get better fuel economy
>can tow way more
>way more payload
>can go more places than a ute due to 4wd and ride height
>straightpiped diesel sounds awesome too

why would I want one when I could have a duramax?

Anything with a motor can get anything with wheels to get rolling. How are the brakes on those little utes, anyhow?

I have a 92 Chevy pickup for towing and hauling, a Crosstrek for daily driving, and a Wrangler for off-road fun. Can my Wrangler pull ten thousand pounds? Yes. Can it bring it to a safe stop? No. Can my Crosstrek go off-road? Yes. Can it reverse jagged rocks? No. Can my pickup go long distances reliably? Maybe. But the thing here is to know your limit and play within it. If you want to showboat your anything as something other than what it's meant for, then you're lying to yourself. Not fooling anybody

Traverse not reverse

>she doesn't even ride

What an absolute worthless wife and mother.

It can take over a tonne you fucking autist, stop spreading blatant lies.... I dont even like the falcon either

Chicken tax my friend, American'ts got dicked by big business and their own government.

Big business owns the American government so they continually lobbied to keep the chicken tax in effect, banning all competition from the pick-up truck segment and allowing the big three to continue making big, unsafe and inefficient pick-up trucks.

Same reason there's no small pick-up trucks, chicken tax says no.

>Same reason there's no small pick-up trucks, chicken tax says no.

no.... It's because there's no demand. Why pay 30k for a small truck when you can get a full size truck for 40k. I's why Colorado's don't sell as well as Silverado's. Why get a single cheeseburger when you can get a double for $1 more?

There won't be a demand for something that doesn't exist any more.

Colorados are probably priced that way on purpose so people do buy Silverardos etc. Think about it.

Big pick-up trucks prop up the entire car industry over there, and probably hold up a decent part of the fuel industry too. Why would they want you to buy smaller cars when it's in their best interests for you to buy bigger?

SUV's are 'popular' for the same reason.

They sell whatever works for the customer weather it's a spark or a 3500 Silverado. SUV's are popular because they work and people want them. Gas prices and fuel economy don't matter to most.

>less towing
>less cargo space
>less seating than a 4 door truck
>too low for bad roads
>too low for heavy loads
>not awd for mud
That's why they aren't loved as much as trucks here.

>implying most customers think in depth about the practicalities of owning a certain car before they buy it

Shit man you ever read an LPG thread?

People buy what they're told to buy by big corporation through advertising, that's the point of it. Consumerism is king.

>Big business owns the American government
Not really. Big Biz sucks up to the American government via lobbying to be favored.

RIP Pontiac

dude ok look, those fucking things are houses on wheels. Thats why you need those massive fuckin huge cunt things to move them.
i think also that if you have to raise the car up really high you cant fit things like motos or quads with a plank or ramps easy as.

We don't need to pull as much shit. Really was crazy from an Australian side to see like 6 hometrailerthings pulled into a gassss station.
I ran up to one like I was 12 while some guy was filling up as we passed through.
Damn. The whole thing needs like a massive brace to the bed.
Didn't know that. Guy was so confused as to why I was so amazed at it.
Its cool but damn that whole thing and you fuckers have heaps of them on the roads with semis with speed flaps and fuel saving skirting.

Also spotted an El camino in san fanshitfest. What a shit hole, but anyway, this guy was parked up and havin a
smoke, and had to tell him thats a fuckin sick ute dude, he was also confused then happy as fuck someone liked his beat up shitmobile.
Wait also a mexican had one, rolled out of home depo in hollywoouldiliketoleaveyesplease like a boss that one was pretty noiiice.

you also have really fuckin wide streets and parking spaces so double wide tires and long beds fair much better while Australians are dealing with
small carparks and narrower streets. Seriously nevadas massive wide streets weird me out big time.

The utility Utes are around heaps though and they pretty much act like how we deck ours out. Remember that
Australia is a shithole tiny place where the livable space is less then Dallas, Texas

Most truck buyers don't want cars and most car buyers don't want trucks.

They are very niche vehicles.

Utes are pretty impractical for what americans do use truck for (when they actually use them)

>Hauling firewood, up to 1 cord in a load
>dead elk
>dirtbikes and ATVs, one for each redneck kids (hint: there's a lot of em)
>towing campers up mountains

compare aussie recreation

>bringing home a digeridoo
>hauling a bed full of dead koalas
>burnouts uleh
>towing a wagon full of abbos away from your petrol station