Can a complete br/o/ here help me learn how to drive with paddle shifters please? I'd be very grateful

Can a complete br/o/ here help me learn how to drive with paddle shifters please? I'd be very grateful.

So I've always wanted to learn since my car (benz) has them, and I want a GT3 in a couple years and I don't want to be a faggot with a GT3 unable to drive paddle shifters. (i get I am a faggot since I cant drive manual or paddle shifters rn, but I am trying to learn and unfaggot)

I stopped on an empty long road today to study how the gears change on automatic. My car has seven gears.

So I started at complete stop, first gear obviously. I slowly accelerated faster and faster and by the time I was at about 60 mph it finally hit seventh gear.

I've always wondered, and am still confused, with downshifting. So after it hit seventh gear I wondered what would happen if I kept accelerating so I pushed harder and it started downshifting and going in sixth and fifth gear. This is confusing to me.

So let's say I am going about 80 mph and want to go say 90 and it's in seventh gear, I downshift to 6th? Like I'm not sure exactly what to do.

And also what if you wanted to just slam the accelerator from 0? Would you just rapidly upshift? Or slam on the brakes, rapidly downshift as you brake? And also I see downshifting revs the engine, how exactly does this work? Wouldn't you rev the engine by not changing gears and before you redline your RPMs the engine starts revving and then you switch gears?

If any bro can help me I would really relaly appreciate it.

you really can't fuck up paddle shifting. is this bait?

How do you not understand the concept of gears in a transmission? Could you not even watch one YouTube video before coming here looking to be spoon-fed?

Kill yourself.

I've tried. I literally cannot find one good video except some shitty quality video of a faggot in a Honda or Infiniti literally just driving with the paddle shifters and not explaining shit

do not reply

Lol, when your rpms get high press the right paddle. Ta da, you're driving with paddles. I don't think any of them won't shift automatically if you hold the gear too long.

Your car shifts in to a higher gear than it needs to be in to save fuel. When you floor the gas, it downshifts in to whatever gear will give you the most torque/acceleration. For example, my truck will take 3rd happily up to about 55 but I usually cruise in 5th any time im above 40 or 45 to save fuel. Sometimes you'll have to downshift for hills if you're doing this, or at least I do in my shitbox truck, idk about your car.

Good troll or a perfect example why most people shouldn't ever be allowed to have a drivers license.

You're retarded, paddle shifters are useless and literally have zero relevance to daily driving.

But ur a gearhead!! stupid girls cant drive manual!!! right!!!

Dont learn, paddle shifters are a meme

Thanks man, but how do I know what is the 'most torque/acceleration'? Like what is a common scenario for when to downshift/upshift (e.g. start at 0, then slowly accelerate and at 10-15 gear changes to 3 and...... at 7)

Thanks for help, I get I am retarded for not knowing but I was never taught manual ever and my dad never uses his paddle shifters so he can't teach me.

Also do most new cars now a days prevent your car from fucking up incase I completely fuck up?

Yes, any car with paddles is going to shift automatically if you hold the gear too long. You really can't fuck it up.

You'll only learn what gears are appropriate for what situation by doing it. Start in first, wait until your revs get to when you want to shift (just learn how faggot) and then pay attention to your revs and speed. Do this a lot and you'll know what gears are effective at what speeds. It's not the same in every vehicle.

you are everything that is wrong with modern car owners. Didn't you ever think to just try it yourself, and see what happens? Instead you came here to get it explained to you step by step

Can you tell me if this is not considered "fucking it up" before I try it so I know I am doing it correctly?

So if I am starting from 0 mph and want to floor it, step by step starting from 1st gear how do I know when to upshift ? Like can I literally just do it whenever as long as I do not redline the engine (e.g. do not upshift until longer for maximum sound/performance), like by "hold gear too long" do you mean being in like second gear at say 30 mph?

Yes, how dare I ask others online for advice. Yes, I am everything wrong with modern car owners since I am trying to ask questions to others online. Silly me, why do I even have a drivers license, honestly?

Okay, last time I tried alone it felt weird, I didn't know if I was just fucking it up or I was doing fine. I'll try again in a couple mins.

Depends how fast you're trying to go, before you hit the redline you shift up to the next gear. Vehicles with "sport" mode usually just hold the gear a lot longer which wastes fuel if you're not trying to get a quick launch.

Honestly though I don't bother using them ever on my car.

It depends on the gearing of your car. Stay away from the redline and above ~1k and you're doing fine. If you really panic, put it in neutral and coast to the side of the road, then switch back to automatic mode after you've stopped.

Alright thanks guys, last thing before I practice, what about reverse? Is reverse usually just second gear since you're driving so slow?

So I think this is the main fundementals to follow, correct me if I am wrong please?

If you are bringing the car from a stop / slowly accelerating, upshift.

If you are stopping the car, downshift.

If you are accelerating fast at an already high gear, downshift. Then if you want to keep going even faster, upshift.

>Is reverse usually just second gear since you're driving so slow?
Yeah, you definitely don't want to go to 3rd or 4th gear in reverse

ok thanks a lot bruh, I appreciate it

were my fundementals pretty correct and I read you shouldnt downshift when your RPMs are high? is that true? if so doesnt that mean you can only downshift immediately after you change gears?

If your rpms are low in 3rd they will be higher in 2nd.... etc. You don't always have to downshift to accelerate. Only if you press the gas and it feels limp/like it doesn't want to go... you'll know what I mean with practice

Actually a couple (although extremely high end cars above what this retarded loser who has nothing better to do than type paragraphs of b8) cars do not shift for you in certain modes, or at all.

woah dude have you driven these extremely high end cars? tell me more bro ! did you nearly red line it ??? aha that would be so sick man I wish I knew and drove those extremely high end cars like you bro sounds super sick

What, like a Ferrari or Lambo?

Seems kind of pointless to have it hold the gear even when redlining but whatever

I want to say either a Koenigsegg or higher end Mercedes was the first I heard of to have a non-interfering paddle shifted transmission. I've heard of a couple more since but I can't recall models or makes.

Back, just drove in manual and it's so much easier than when I last did it. A lot of fun too but I still need to get the hang of changing gears smoothly and revving the engine when driving slow, which will come with practice.

Thanks boys.

semi automatic** not manual

>still need to get the hang of changing gears smoothly
the computer does that

tl;dr

You need to simply learn in a straight manual, then when you try to drive your automatic with the computer assisted shifting it will be EZ-PZ

just remember this doesn't mean you can drive stick

Absolutely man I admit that, I am still a faggot, but at least learning semi-automatic makes me at least kinda less of a faggot.

also learning manual will be a lot easier I think since I have a feel of the gears.

>learning manual will be easy because I have a feel for the gears

This is possibly the most retarded post I've seen here this year. Semi is nothing like manual. You don't have a feel for the clutch or gears, nor do you have the risks of a manual. You can't stall a semi and you can't do a money shift in one except for slamming into drive from neutral.

>how do I know when to upshift
When your rev limiter is banging