How bad are the 6.0s really? They can be had for god damn nothing and I'd really like a diesel truck...

How bad are the 6.0s really? They can be had for god damn nothing and I'd really like a diesel truck. I don't need the power for work day to day, but I will go into the mountains frequently and NA engines are worthless on mountains.

If the 6.0s really are that bad (even the later model ones with improvements), then what would be a cheaper turbodiesel that isn't going to require frequent expensive service? I don't want a really early cummins, those things had about as much power as a golf cart.

Other urls found in this thread:

cumminshub.com/timeline.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

7.3 Powerstoke

The 6.0 is a great motor, the issue is ford rushed it and cut corners. That along with the new added emissions bs made it a ticking time bomb. The problem with buying one second hand is you don't know who owned it before hand and if it was beat on or overworked. If bullet proofed the right way they can be power monsters but not many people know how to do the right way. If I personally were to get one it would go right to the powerstrokehelp guys shop to be bullet proofed but it is much easier to just avoid them, at least for me.

Search Powerstoke help on YouTube, he is extremely knowledgeable

But like I said a 7.3 is really the move imo.

I thought the 7.3 had a relatively high incidence of transmission problems and a lot of people recommended a built (stupidly expensive) transmission replacement before anything goes wrong. Is that wrong?

A 7.3 trans is cheaper than bulletproofing a 6.0. Bulletproofing a 6.0 is cheaper than rebuilding a 6.4. Rebuilding a 6.4 is cheaper than major work on a 6.7.

Only other problem I can think of is Ford hicks are obsessed with muh 7.3 so they're desirable, of course becoming more rare by the day being out of production, so I'd think the prices are pretty high even being old.

Around 9-12k unless you need 4 doors. Clean 6.0s are around 20k.

There's 6.0s for $13,000 around here but I'll look for 7.3s.

>don't want an early cummins
>much power as a golf cart

12 Valves make more power than a 7.3 IDI w/ turbo and around the same power as a 7.3 Powerstroke

As much as I hate the "Cummins=God" meme it's the best choice for an early diesel pickup

12v>7.3 IDI>>>>>>>.2 GM Detroit
24v>7.3 Powerstroke>>>>.5 GM Detroit

cumminshub.com/timeline.html

>160hp

>HP meaning anything with diesels
>160 hp
>420 lb-ft torque

Look at big trucks, the Detroit 8v92 for example
>390 hp @ 1800 rpm
>1,250 lb-ft @ 1300 rpm

Horsepower means jackshit with diesels

If you wanna get retarded we can get retarded buddy.

My penis has more than 420 pound feet. That's also a retarded number. Literally buy a 6.2 in 2 years for the same price, like triple the horse power and even more torque. Now stfu

In all honesty, it's the same with cars too. Mass is mass, and it needs to be moved:
1) What is the torque?
2) Where is #1 sweetest?
3) What are the gear ratios?

The problem with the 6.0L is not that it was engineered badly, but simply that an anomaly in its design coupled with a specific set of conditions caused it to develop undefined behavior. At nominal rotational engine speed and vehicular velocity, the engine would begin to emit energy at the microwave band. When the engine's thermostat opened up to introduce coolant into the closed circuit, it would tune the harmonics of the engine to a frequency such that it would begin to accelerate protons in the air within the engine bay. The driver is simply unaware of this until it is too late. The pulsed input from the spark plugs would then act as a lifter, generating kerr black holes inside the engine. Eventually after enough cycles, the singularity of the black hole would then become naked singularity upon which the head gaskets either teleported out of the engine and past the event horizon into the past or became gelified, almost as if it became one with the coolant.

Owners and mechanics frequently complain about the cracked heads left behind -- often a result of the super gravity of the blackhole which would crush the engine in its brief existance. Fuel injector drivers are often fried by the excessive radiation in the engine bay. There are to this day documents of head gaskets found in orbit around earth or fused into constructs, nature or even people in the past, but often written off as tabloid news or whitewashed by Ford motor company whom will never admit to this day that time travel was the reason for their engine woes.

meh, I'd buy a 6.0L if the PO was a mature older dude and the truck was a pristine king ranch years 05-07.

frankly tho, the rule of thumb with diesels is don't cheap out. spending an extra couple grand to get a truck in really well kept condition vs saving a few grand and buying a less than stellar kept vehicle will generally be the difference in having an awesome, reliable truck for years to come or having a big headache money pit.

it's really a shame the 6.0L has the variety of problems that it does though. otherwise they're damn good trucks. king ranch interior with the real leather is hard to beat. they have great looking exteriors too.

that said, buy an LBZ 06/07 Duramax. best bang for your buck no question. mine just rolled over 200,000 km and hasn't given me even a hint of a problem. runs like a swiss watch too.

>early Cummins
>as much power as a golf cart

Nigger had me going 100% until microwaves then total bs mode at protons

>I don't want a really early cummins, those things had about as much power as a golf cart.
typical ford fanboy

i used to rebuild diesel pickup engines and literally around 50% were 6.0's
even when they are "bulletproofed" theres still problems that you can run into
just get a 12valve or 7.3 if you want reliability and power
personally i would go with the 12v since the only problem with them is the dowel pin which is an easy fix, just make sure you get a manual trans

>spark plugs
so close

if we go back in time and delete all the internal memos at FORD, can we move the world line so that the 6.0 is never born?

>so close
Fuck

That simply won't be enough. In that scenario FORD steamrolls through the market collapse of 2008, merging with all American auto industries and creating the Nationalist Industrial Group in 2034 which bans importation of all autos and crushes all existing imports today after taking control of the Federal government.

The only way to move the world line is to trick FORD into believing the emissions regulations would never change in the first place.

so...s;g thread?

>The Ford fanboy that would go out and buy a Silverado 3500 dually the millisecond he won the lottery.

Also

>the Ford fanboy that considers literally every truck except early model cummins

what a retard.

>manual trans

I thought we were getting into some seriously advanced shit until you said "accelerate protons"

8/10