Bought a used car from Craigslist can't register it

The name on the title and the signature on it didn't match. Yes stupid of me but I was a first time car buyer. Anyway, I let the guy who sold it to me immediately know that the DMV refused to register it because the names didn't match up.

He said he would look into it and ask the owner of the title to get it fixed since they lived two hours away. A couple days went by and he said that the owner of the car didn't want to deal with it. I asked for my money back and he said he'd drive down there and get the paperwork done. I told him okay. A couple days later I hadn't heard from him so I called him up today and asked for my money back. He said the car was sold as is and I wasn't getting anything back.

So now what are my choices? I live in northern Nevada by the way. The car is from California and I already ran the plates under the stolen car database and nothing came up. I'm still getting the feeling the car is stolen though. I'm completely lost on what to do, any ideas?

small claims court is a possibility.

Although more than likely, you're just a complete dumbass.

The matter seems to be resolved so disregard.

Don't be a dipshit next time

Hahahahahaha

Yes yes call me all the names you want I deserve it but at least it was a learning experience. Anyway it seems like the guy is flipping cars under the table which is enough for the cops to get involved right?

Why don't you ask the police instead of shitposting on an arabian magic carpet forum?

You're dumb on multiple regards.

Your only actual recourse is to sue him in small claims court, as long as the value of the vehicle is within the small claims limit (Usually under 5000 dollars). If it's more than that you'd have to actually lawyer up.

>Your windshield will never be this perfect

Sell it for parts

Wait so how does one avoid this problem when buying a car?

I can barely read most people's signatures, how am I supposed to tell if the signature matches the title?

there's a part where you have to print your name as well...

at least that's been my experience

Not OP, but I have my title sitting here, and this is usually the case.

>bought car 6 months ago
>she wrote her name in
>signature is literally just a small scribble

How do they even tell? I'm way late on transferring the title, but whatever. I'll get to it. Thankfully, she didn't write in the date, so I can fill that in whenever to avoid the late fee.

>asking on an american asian cartoon image board instead of calling a lawyer

You deserve it

Dude just sneak onto his property at 3 am (wear a mask / disguise).

Salt his lawn, pour gasoline on his lawn, dump paint on his lawn... The possibilities are endless.

Have a friend start a business. Leave the car in the lot for couple couple months. Have your friend linen the car to the company. Declare it as his because no one claimed the vehicle. The gift the car to you. Probably the best work around. It you don't want to do that find a Jewish lawyer with the biggest nose. The bigger the nose the better your chances at winning in court.

The title holder will claim it. Then what

Have the guy you bought it from give you the contract info of the original owner and offer them a hundred bucks or so to come down and transfer the title

God damned all of you kids are retarded. Did your parents teach you nothing? Don't buy from out of state curbstoners you stupid fucks.

Then you use the nose dingus, I gave two possible solutions.

use the car in a ram raid

OP here, like I said the issue has already been resolved. I contacted the owner on the title and they'll be taking care of the paperwork.

>they'll be taking care of the paperwork.
Of course they will.

I ventured into West Virginia to buy my fox body. Turns out they have self-notorizing titles there which made me nervous as shit to hand the guy large amounts of cash so I checked his id and recorded him signing the title with my phone but when I registered it here in Ohio there was no problem other than some odd bureaucratic crap where I had to go to the BMV then the title office then back to the BMV but I'd already read up on all of that ahead of time. Stressful but it would have protected me from OP's situation.

This is what I was wondering as well. Who the fuck has a legible signature in this day and age?

The only way to resolve this is have the person the car currently registered to place an order through the DMV for a duplicate title. It will cost about $25 and take a week to arrive. The DMV will only send this to the address on file to the current title owner so they will have to deal with it.

That is it. There is no other way to fix this. The only alternative is to get a refund and walk away (which you can probably do by suing him)

Or put acetone in water balloons and throw them on his car and drive away.

Brake fluid works well too

why should that matter. my signature looks nothing like my name.

Go back on a different day, u prolly got some anal fuckhead at the dmv. The guy who transferred the title for my car literally gave no fucks.

Fuck off, I drove 200 miles for a the best priced STI in the country.

my missus woulda given you an STI for free, you only need to ask her nicely

I wouldn't want an STI for the same reason I don't want the other ST something your missus has. It'll be painful, expensive, and cause long term lifestyle problems for about an hour of total enjoyment.