/rlg/ - Roguelike General

Come on and double random of first altar edition

>DCSS Trunk Updates
crawl.develz.org/wordpress/trunk-updates-17-october-2016

Tournament soon!

>Shared DCSS online account.
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on CXC).
Remember, it's not fun if you didn't splat hard!

FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/nXBycdgR

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/eYbqwcRT
youtu.be/qK9ifmQPS_c
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How can first posting be real if haste is not real?

Haste is real. Haste during every encounter is not.

pastebin.com/eYbqwcRT

rip besthusbando pakellas

How would one design vaults for Demon?

Imagine something like enemies isolated by pits or cages and they smite your dudes or something.

Help me guys. I suffer from an Ancient Foul Arrelgean Curse. How do I win demon with a cunning demon and what kind?

Runed door with all the floor portals force spawned in the back?

Maybe that could work for special branches, or something. I think some weird challenges could add some fun to the game.

The way combat is balanced, vaults might end up being some kind of clusterfuck on the order of a DCSS rune vault
Isolated smiting enemies could be trivialized by just waiting for their SP to run out, then rushing past them, or just avoiding them all together. There'd have to be some kind of good reward too, maybe an essence, a card, or an offering. No equipment loot so that's out.

Get a ranged physical attack and stack on-hit debuff passives. Pick vodun mask pierce/pierce for needles and poison passive. Later on get infection, blood rot, flesh rot, crusader, bloodlust, whatever else as you find it. Use revelation several times on Artemis if you can catch her, she'll turn into a mega needle debuffer whose abilities you can copy over.

If you want pure debuff then just spam your debuff attacks like ACC/EV/OFF/DEF down and let your other demons do the work.

>You feel confused.

Demon's favor of party play does give it some limitations in regards to what may be typical in other roguelikes. I guess there can be little "bonus rooms" of varying challenges. I dunno. Maybe there could be a Sprint mode.

Stack on-hit passives, trying to get different types to cover all resistances. Like paralysis for body, charm for mind, mute for light, pariah for dark etc.

Make sure you capture the shouting ogre unique so that you can do meme shoudigns :--DD and affect entire enemy team with statuses without having a chance to miss.

I've never gotten Artemis successfully.

Can a demon even get good enough cunning to needler meme?

No, needles are needless.
You need both agility and cunning for needles to work.
Scream memes at them instead. Meme and bump. Meme and bump their huge guts.

>Can a demon even get good enough cunning to needler meme?
Yes. Artemis herself has been used for such a purpose and her cunning isn't even that impressive. There are likely several other demons with such potential that hasn't quite been recognized yet.

Sure, especially if you slap a cursed modifier on them

Oni are nice on-hit debuffers because they have +20% chance to stun paired with double impact. They're pretty beefy too

But the game's like, over by the time you get to oni

>not doing the jap vault on Tower:5 for a free oni

I'm back in 8.3.2016

So I like Demon, but only 8 ability slots and 6 demons feels so damn confining.

I would love to see something of a similar theme (many enemies are able to be made into allies, many enemy abilities are able to be transplanted to you and your allies) but with more slots, damage types and tinkering allowed.

pcb ring

I'm just memeing on you

PCB ring, Elona+ partymaster, Gearhead: Arena

Just ran into Midochan. He's the meme ogre right? What is so great about him? He has high strength and... not much else. In particular, not much Cunning, how do people expect him to inflict statuseseses?

high str makes him durable and hit hard. Mighty roar gives him an AoE. I presume it's more of he kills the shit out of stuff and hey if a 20% for venomous, or infection land there's then another 20% for flesh and blood rot to debuff. Later you give him double impact for double the flavor of love.

>tfw i'm an archer so i wont be able to take advantage of it

DEMON FERRET MAN

HALO IS NOT SELF AREA. IT'S A POINT-BLANK AoE
AGONY IS A SELF AREA

RETURN THE SHECKLES TO MY RELIC FOUL DEMON FERRET MAN

He isn't amazing himself, but meme scream is a great thing to put on a high-cunning, high-strength status applier.
It never misses, stuns often, uses a type that isn't resisted often and hits relatively hard.
You can literally hit a whole encounter for 50% damage and also apply up to 3 statuses per critter. That is, if you have a ton of strength to pull it off.

Elona+

Good riddance for scummy bloat. Next update should be making ?recharge rarer to have less scumming

I'm a needler.

I have level 12 Artemis, level 12 Cththonian Vikhor, level 11 Headless, level 12 Midochan, a level 12 Profane Chaos I recruited (has healing, light, and dark abilities, plus its body based drain life spell), and a Holy and a Fiery Kitsune, both level 16.

I'm gonna have to let somebody go and I'm not sure who.

I know that the higher level you get a creature, the higher level it can go (about 10ish before it starts dragging down).

I hate this part. What do? I'm thinking maybe fusioning Artemis onto Midochan; because I'm a needler, I'm thinking I need to keep her modifier around as long as possible, so I get more rolls of stuff that could enhance my attacks.

Although Vikhor is still plenty good, giving his snek template to Midochan may also work.

Thoughts?

Also, Jesus Fucking Christ so many physical uniques.

Headless is the one I want to get rid of the most because of how clunky he is, but his modifier is extremely fucking cool. I'd like to give him a body with a head.

>because I'm a needler, I'm thinking I need to keep her modifier around as long as possible
Nah

There will be plenty of better on-hit passives along the way.

Mido kun has less bad resistances than artememis and can tank pretty OK.

That headless looks pretty old. Give the old man a rest.

Never tried a robin game until today. Logged in on the CAO server and rolled double random. Rather unsuprisingly, it's a Kobold Chiller, and first altar was Makhleb. Hit D:3 and encountered Purgy right next to me on the upstairs. Between Freeze, and berserk rage potion + dagger of freezing, I have myself a lovely set of troll leather armor. Thinking of going spellblade rogue route now. The build practically begs for it. Have a dagger of freezing in reserve, too, because why not?

Cut each Hell from seven floors to four

The four Hells each have six floors empty of loot, with unique layoutsmeant to establish the branch themes and denizens while regularly raining down unique direct effects onto the player to emphasize the somewhat unique dynamic of encouraged diving. While any sort of monster can slow down players to support any numbers of effects, both lists are weighted towards and filled with very ignorable results for people venturing into an extended branch, and the repeated redundant lengths of each branch betrays a reliance on randomization and patience more than sustainably mean results (outside of the end floor monster distributions, of course). This is unideal for postgame challenges, and exacerbates the redundant length of extended.

As a result, this cuts the floors of each Hell from seven floors to four, which should still promote some diving but not all. Oncoming commits will use this somewhat shorter Hell context to rescale and revise both monster sets and hell effects, for branch identity strengthening and to bring a sense of consistent brutality to the arrangements.

To accomodate and concentrate spawns across the new four floors, standardize a lot of obscure and arbitrary inconsistencies between the sets, and introduce both some actual floor scaling and an OOD table.

Highlights:
* No more necrophages, phantoms, or mummies in any of the sets. Still lots of other chaff, but these three didn't even have much thematic placement or bands to them.

* All hells now have soul eaters, slim chances for liches and even slimmer chances for at least one classed vampire. There's also a very slim chance in all sets (rather than just two of them) to place the 1 of the other paired hell between Dis/Geh and Tar/Coc.

* Zombies, skeletons, 5s, and 4s are less overwhelmingly common in all
hells. Reapers, select elemental representatives, soul eaters, and
stronger undead are a fair bit more common, especially hell knights
in Gehenna and blizzard demons in Cocytus.

* Tartarus now has a fair deal of hellwings (to correspond with the other demons in the other hells), a few revenants and jiangshi, a larger load of soul eaters, and a good deal more hellions / tormentors / shadow demons than before.

* A general shuffling of undead and lower-tier demons to make some spawn more or less per-Hell, which should help marginally distinguish the sets further beyond their most common demons / elemental representatives.

The Vestibule also has some adjustments- more cross-Hells representation, a handful of actual undead, and less 2s mostly unique to Pan. It's a slight loss of the chance to see lorocyprocas / cacodemons / green deaths in a three-rune game (...doing Vestibule for experience), but seperating the two demon hordesis just as important. Altogether, this should strengthen the identity of the Hells in their floor sets- undead + demons + elements doesn't have to solely mean a unique enemy per-branch, tons of derived undead and weakling demons, plus a branch end full of 1s.

what is the difference between self area and pbaoe

Agony hits everything on the screen, PBAoE is just the adjacent 8 squares.

Self area should be renamed in view

Still on D:3, but now level 6, thanks to further encounters with both Jessica and Sigmund. Sigmund was wearing a robe of cold resistance and a scythe of freezing. My response was to quaff brilliance and lignification, and alternatively freeze him anyway and smack the shit out of him. Seems a good place to hand off the game if anyone wants to take the reigns. Otherwise, I'll try reporting again when something interesting happens.

both of them affect an aoe around yourself, just with different-radius AOEs

the spell description shows range/aoe in the most recent version

Ahem. 'Reins', not 'reigns'. My bad. At any rate, found an amulet of magic regen, so that's neat. Between it and the troll leather, I have high hopes for this character. And you'd all best believe I have a block of wood ready. I don't usually play stabby types, though I know the song and dance.

Ah, I'm in older so I blew 670 credits when I couldn't afford it getting muh light

Why do you guys hate ToME and ADoM? Is it because you have to pay to play them and you guys are poor

Both are roguelites

adom isnt a roguelite wtf is wrong with you

I actually really enjoy ToME now and then. I never play anything besides roguelike mode, though. I did actually donate once upon a time just to get access to exploration mode, but that got really boring -really- fast. DCSS and Cataclysm DDA are more my speed, though. The latter more so than the former.

Is crawl the best action roguelike?

you dont have to pay to play either though

i mean maidensnow eve doesn't even HAVE a free version and anons still play that one for free

We will always dive hell no matter how short it is or no matter how you spice up monster variety or try to make it harder to progress.

There is no issue with Hell depth, nor its mob compositions. If you really think that adding more tier 2s 3s as a result of reshuffling in Hell would help improve Extended or influence how players approach it, that's just naive. Do not add more bloat.

What is going on, those sound like good changes
Are they fake?

dark souls

Cant dive when you get surrounded by fiends all the time instead of a horde of skeletons

It is extended, an extended char is expected to have everything or almost everything to deal with anything. This will only influence (??) speedrunners at best but even then, it still wouldn't matter.

D:5 and level 8. Picked up a +4 ring of dexterity and played mutation roulette with a sky beast corpse. Picked up blurry vision 1, deterioration 1, and Int +2. I'm willing to live with the negatives for now. Have to live with them, because I quaff ID'd a potion of cure mutation early on. But the game goes on.

>Why do you guys hate

We don't, RETARD. Making fun of the derpier elements isn't hatred (remember to kill an assassin for your first kill and never kill cats etc).

Do you think people making fun of Actaeon hate Demon?

>have to pay to play them

what

The closest I come to hatred is the DCSS devteam because its a game I used to love and now most the news is about how they just cut out something else that brought me joy in the past.

>wielding a crossbow with +1.5 shots but -6 con for most of the game because it's better damage than anything else
>finally get a crossbow with +1.0 shots and no con penalty, plus some gloves of the giant with +3 con
>go from 450 to 700 max hp
hory shet

They're both roguelikes, just terrible ones.

What's the max damage for dispel undead? I didn't know that it's actually capable of this much damage

3d32

D:6. Managed to pick up a pair of cure mutation potions. To my relief, both deterioration and blurry vision were cured, and the improved intelligence was left alone. Had a point of strength rotted because I was dumb and forgot to swap back to my troll leather from the robe of cold resist before heading downstairs. There's a travel-excluded minivault that drops clouds of cold on D:5. Ultimately decided to leave it alone because the loot at the end seems like crap. Arrows and such. At any rate, that one point was quickly restored and that was that. Ecumenical Temple is on this level, and it's corrupted. Pondering switching to Lugonu. Yea or nay?

(Also, should I be greentexting? I haven't been a lurker all that long, so I don't know.)

I wish there was some better stuff to stick on my feet in DDA in the close or cover slots. This thermal electric suit aint cutting it for this ice lab. Guess I have to throw out my armor for winter boots now.

Wool two pairs of electric thermals and a pair of winter boots with the climate control cbm. I've never heard of foot armor mttering outside of EP for rubble damage and acid protection.

Check the dorm rooms for wool socks. There's usually at least one pair, and fitted or not, they do make a difference. Of course, if you also manage to find an Internal Climate Control CBM, that would be ideal, but even that can need help in an ice lab. In the meantime, winter boots are probably the way to go, yeah. What were you wearing beforehand?

On my feet? Chitin.

>which should still promote some diving but not all
Based on what?
It does nothing to make diving worse or disencourage it, there's fuck all to do in hell until the last floor and nobody is going to go through 12 levels of nothing more than once.

You don't need good foot armor since foot hits are very rare.

Then, yeah. Winter boots, for all the reasons the other user mentioned. Simple enough to stay out of acid, and the few initial points of damage are trivial to heal.

It's actually capable of 2 shotting me wtf

I mostly just wanted to keep encumbrance low when I could, really. Not a lot of choice in this situation though.

Fair enough. But again, it's pretty trivial. The only encumbrance you really need to worry about is torso and, possibly, mouth.

>slide downstairs as octopode
>orc zaps acid at me for 60% of my health
>zaps again on the way back up for the rest
I guess my fault would have been going fireball online straight away and not getting earlier dodging but it's still irritating

Yeah but it's incredibly unlikely to do so

Use your tailor kit and wool your wool socks and spare set of your regular boots.You should get like 200 warmth from those then more with your wool'd thermal suit.

your fault was not killing the orc wielding /acid

I think my chances of killing it in one turn with fire tongue were lower than being zapped again

Fire tongue costs 1 turn to cast. Taking the stairs costs 2.5 tums to go up. Which is the safer one? The orc is not blocked by anything right?

it was an orc warrior 3 tiles away

>orc warrior
>wielding /acid

some runs are not meant to be

my thoughts exactly, it's just it was approaching an "unavoidable death" where the only mistake I'd made was a meta one

youtu.be/qK9ifmQPS_c

This is my first full-lenght video. Can you give me some advice? Do you think you can help me to improve my English? I found out making youtube content about your hobby is good way to learn foreign language. And my hobby is retrogaming and indiegames :) So there it is. I do believe I can find some good and willing people here. Am I right?

Also, do you think doom-philosophy can fit in turn-based gameplay?

Pure kino m8

reminds me of dicks
english is good enough

Hell should have a wandering speed 10 Grim Reaper unique that you cannot kill permanently and could appear beside you as a hell effect. Would make it good if it follows you on every Hell floor you go.

That would just add another reason to dive

The moment hell effects were introduced, the pseudo requirement for a player to dive as fast as possible in Hell was already set in stone. That would never change unless they remove hell effects but if they do that, better change Hell's name to Pandemonium Training Center.

Hell effects dont even matter in regards to diving or not
The floors are fucking empty, there is no point in ever exploring them with or without helleffects

I miss the days when I ran into Boris all the time.

How would you even fix hell? Make many artifact generating loot vaults? Make it harder? Make it shorter?

Hell is hard to fix, but I think it's better than Pan. If I were going to do some serious work on Postend, I would probably remove Pandemonium and combine some elements with Hell. Then work on another postgame branch that isn't all about demons and undead.

So dwarf priest is the easiest class to win with in Angband right?

>public works has like ten jackhammers
>want to dig
>illiterate
Is it possible to grind construction up to mining levels without using books?

Final hell floors are much better than pan rune vaults at least. Pan just feels like abyss+

Make tons of charcoal.

If you have z-levels on, you can blow up a hole in the ground.

>Hell effects dont even matter in regards to diving or not
>what is freexp

Just because all hell 1-6 floors have no vaults doesn't mean there's no point in staying there. It just happened to not be a place for grinding freexp because of hell effects in the same way that it is not a place too stay too long because of it also.

>Make it shorter?

How is cutting content a method for improving a feature?

I think so. At higher levels lower level crafts still give xp. You'll be making a lot of metal walls and shit though.

Ok hells are 50 levels now each

Removing non-unique levels from a branch is not cutting content. Removing a branch entirely would be.

Is there a way in Elona to not be tired after every 3 fucking cooking actions
Seriously goddamn

Hells should always be deep to be consistent with its definition. A 2 floors deep "Hell" is called a basement by the way.