NASCAR

What is the point of NASCAR? 500 Laps just going in an oval? If it's supposed to be the car version of a horse race like was popular in America, why not make it 10 laps or so? Why doesn't American like the actual race tracks with curves and bends more than the oval?

I don't see the appeal.

Other urls found in this thread:

floridaracingmemories.com/Drivers/drivers.html
youtube.com/watch?v=TQZgBiiSDao
imgur.com/a/6AOVC
gordonline.com/archive/061203.html
youtube.com/watch?v=vtcbsi8itHw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

whats the point of this thread?

Asking what is the point of NASCAR. What is problem? Want to discuss ecoboost instead like the cuck?

its fun to watch and does require strategy and driving skill, but hey feel free to shitpost memes instead of ever actually watching it.

>What is the point of NASCAR?

To entertain those who like nascar.

>why not make it 10 laps or so?

I guess its like an endurance race and if its not long its not much of an endurance on the cars or drivers/pit-crew.

>Why doesn't American like the actual race tracks with curves and bends

Why can't you Google IMSA/Indy car?

>I don't see the appeal.

Then don't watch it.

also nascar does road races

It's more about the drivers and the culture than anything else. The modern racing is no good, watch NASCAR up to the 80s and it was fantastic.

floridaracingmemories.com/Drivers/drivers.html

I understand that it requires endurance but all you're doing is taking two corners into a straight for a long time.

>shitpost memes
don't be bitter. I didn't even post a meme.

>Why can't you Google IMSA/Indy car?
Ok

>but all you're doing is taking two corners into a straight for a long time.

Nah.

Explain. It is an oval yes? That is a turn into a straightaway for many many laps.

because americans don't know how to drive a car, they just know to go fast

I never once mentioned endurance, although it does involve that as well.

If its is so easy lets see you go do 200mph for 300 laps.

Nascar tracks have three turns :^)

It's a huge turn. You have to be in the exact right spot to exit in the exact spot to overtake the other 20 people who are trying to be in that same exact spot you are. It's not just two corners on some back road in suburb America.

not that kind of oval

Not true. Americans do have the good driver and cars. I just don't know why their most famous car sport is an oval track.

>I never once mentioned endurance, although it does involve that as well.
Obvious

>If its is so easy lets see you go do 200mph for 300 laps.
I never said it was easy. I said it was boring.

Horse races aren't boring because it is one lap. I love watching the Kentucky Derby last year in real life. It was intense. But with so many laps the speed becomes dull even though the driver must be sweating the seat.

>popular in america
because rednecks

>I said it was boring.

Then don't watch it. For those of us that understand how it works and the strategy and effort required by the entire team and not only the driver, it isn't boring.

Its for all the reasons already discussed in the thread but most of all the social aspect. Its fun to have a grill out and invite friends over to socialize while rooting for your favorite car. And going to the track is even better. Get to meet all kinds of people and most the drivers are excited to talk to fans.

I'm an engineer for a NASCAR team and it's a hell of a lot better than being an engineer for any other racing series in the United States, that's for sure.

>What's the point of NASCAR?

Entertainment and nothing more. Some people like it, some people don't. Some people don't like watching football and it begs the same question: what's the point of football? It's entertainment and nothing more.

Also:
>I took the bait D:

If you really are, how can one get a job being in the pit crew? Im a body tech that wants to do something exciting

>Some people don't like watching football and it begs the same question: what's the point of football? It's entertainment and nothing more.
Not OP but football is more complex than just driving in literal circles at high speed

Driving those corners perfect hundreds of times is actually difficult if your racing 39 other people at high speeds. There are lots of pit stops too and lots of different strategies. I think NASCAR has the biggest mental challenge, as the drivers do not have as good an etiquette as drivers in most other series and will really put a lot of pressure on someone

Dont forget tire and fuel managment and all the technical bullshit that has to do with who to pass n such

Itt no car bus riders have zero understanding of slip angle and think nascar is literally just driving in a circle like they did when they failed their driving test in the high school parking lot

>nascar takes no skill
youtube.com/watch?v=TQZgBiiSDao

The same people that win the 800 meter footraces are the same people that win the olympic marathons right guise?

But it's more boring to watch

You say that as if it were easy. A cup car has a recirculating ball steering system with antiquated rear suspension. The only way to get it to go fast is to have it be so loose that the yaw of the car generates enough sideforce to prevent it from completely spinning out.

It doesn't help that goodyear tires are absolute garbage. I got to drive the TRD sim and the Ford sim and it's insanely hard to even get 1 lap done without wrecking.

It's really tough to get in with the pit crew. A lot of the guys are actually scouted, which surprised me. Other than that, it's about who you know more than it is actual ability : /

Having been to NASCAR, IndyCar, and IMSA events I have to say NASCAR races have some of the worst value for your dollar of any racing out there.

>NASCAR Race
>$125 for Race Day Ticket
>$75 for Pit Pass
>Pit Pass only lets you walk behind the pit wall a bit for an hour before the race starts
>Garage area off limits
>Drivers off limits
>Must remain in your assigned seat for the duration of the race once it starts
>After the race you must leave immediately

>IndyCar Race
>$75 for Race Day Ticket
>$15 for Pit Pass
>Pit Pass gets you access to the entire garage area and behind the pit wall for the entire day up to about 45 minutes before race start
>Can freely talk to drivers and crew in the garage area, teams will even let you in to their individual garages to see cars up close
>Have to stay in your seating section but don't have an assigned seat
>After the race the infield and garage area is opened to all spectators, no pit pass required

>IMSA/SCCA Race
>$55 Race Day Ticket
>No Pit Pass Required, general admission ticket gets you access to the entire infield including garage area and behind the pit wall
>Can freely talk to drivers and crew
>Free to move anywhere you want in the infield or outside the track for the entire event
>Can view the race from anywhere, no assigned seating. Can walk between multiple viewing places during the race at your leisure (this includes the garage area).

Oh i see. Thank you for the information.

It's only fun to watch in person

i agree completely but my point is more around a house party

It's only a corner guys, how hard could it be.

Sorry man, I get a lot of friends that always ask me that question, and getting into the pit crew is by far one of the hardest jobs to get in NASCAR.

Also:

Here's an album of random pictures I took while I was at MWR

imgur.com/a/6AOVC

I'm gonna go ahead and apologize in advance for some of the shitty reddit tier memes used in some of the pictures

Not many other racing series have you at such extreme angles into back into a flat and into a extreme angle again.

wew

>What is banking
>What are slip angles
>What is a racing line
>What is carrying speed through a corner
>What are steering inputs

This, if you don't like NASCAR try watching some bike track racing, it's more intense and easier to see the action

Thanks. No need to apologize kek

How much different are Cup suspension geometries to ARCA/K&N? In terms of stuff like control arms.

That's a tough question.

Back at MWR we built our own chassis and we could put upper control arm points wherever we wanted as well as lower control arm points. Some teams buy what they can get and then there's some teams out there that reuse old chassis from old teams. For example, BK Racing uses some chassis that I helped design when I was at Waltrip.

Funnily enough, the MWR chassis were based originally on a Hopkins chassis that they reverse engineered with a Faro arm.

In the end, it depends on the rules, but there's a lot of carry-over been the series, I'd say the setups are pretty similar. They get more exotic in Cup due to more Aero and trying to trick the LIS.

LIS?

Laser Inspection System

NASCAR has a set camber/toe/wheelbase that you're allowed to run every weekend. They give you a pretty generous tolerance so you can still play around with it to find some speed

You can trick-fuck that system because they only check it at "inspection height" so you can add crazy camber/caster gains or some weird bump steer

Thank you mate.

Another weird ass question: Do you know anybody who works for a GT3 team? Former coworker or something like that?

/ovg/ has contacts in GT3 teams, try asking there

I know Ze German is a former sponsored racer, dunno if he counts as a contact tho.

one user's dad works for a GT3 team (pic related), another was in contact with a team running a viper but i cant remember which one

If you think that NASCAR is just driving in circles at high speed then you've probably never driven an actually fast car or even a slow race car. It's 40 cars packed onto the track. Much of the field races inches apart at high speed.

It's fun to check out the garages at a race. The way the teams stretch the rule books and transform what would otherwise be a run of the mill part or setup into something exotic is amazing. NASCAR race engine programs push the limits of what is possible with an old school 2 valve, cam in block design.

I stopped watching NASCAR for a long time, but this year the racing has been better with the lower downforce packages. I really hope they go with even less downforce on the shorter tracks. It's fun to watch drivers drive.

Many people think that NASCAR racing is low skill. And that's fine. People can have their opinion even if it's arrogant and unfounded. It takes a tremendous amount of effort in many areas to complete and win a race.

For example take any car that would set the pole speed on a given race weekend. Throw just about anyone who has ever posted on Veeky Forums in that car. Zero of those people would even set the minimum lap time necessary to make the 40 car field even in the best car.

Because NASCAR is fucking shit and is a bastardization of everything good about motor racing.

I liked watching NASCAR with my dad as a kid in the basement to get away from my Mom like anyone, but it wasn't till I raced road bikes in college that I really got what short lap racing is about.

You got one shot to come up with 500 laps that's a hundredth of a second shorter than second place. That difference could plausibly be the exit of the last corner. Proceed as you see fit.

Yeah, it's simple. Tell 45 guys first to cross the line wins and give em the same shit. In the moment the driving is just turning left.

But watching drivers, crew chiefs, and teams in the moment all trying their Miller lite filled damndest to do the same thing can get interesting.

Everyone knows and is trying their Miller filled damndest for same simple thing. Watching how teams execute that in the moment or all season can get interesting.

NASCAR ain't bad. It's about the whole race though not someone ripping around a corner once in a time trial.

Still would rather watch motocross tho.

he was so good, he was only hired for one season

I've raced on both oval tracks and race tracks. Oval racing is a lot harder, but going to the race track is more fun.

Getting drunk, eating junk food, yelling racist slur, crossing fingers for gory accidents, close to no niggers in the crowd.

It's perfect.

American master race represents.

>The way the teams stretch the rule books and transform what would otherwise be a run of the mill part or setup into something exotic is amazing

I think you confused F1 and NASCAR

>sponsored
he had a ski accident, sued the hill/company that was running that and blew the money on one fr 2.0 season. hes a meme

>handegg
>complex
Yeah, complex in the way how can a person cry each time

Nah, and in fact F1 engineers were very impressed when they toured some of the top team shops in Charlotte, NC. If you like F1 more than NASCAR that's fine. No worries. But that doesn't automatically make NASCAR suck. At the peak of modern F1 and NASCAR V8s the NASCAR engine actually maintained higher mean piston speeds. And at that time despite being pushrod V8s, with 2 valves per cylinder, pushrods, and a single 4 barrel carb very restrictive design, materials, and minimum weights for the valvetrain and engine components, the NASCAR V8 can actually hold its own when compared empirically to the F1 V8. The brake mean effective pressure of the NASCAR V8 is phenomenal given the design restrictions, even when compared directly to the F1 V8.

If you think race teams in all series don't stretch the rule book then go ahead and hit yourself in the head with a hammer. The top level NASCAR teams use some very trick engineering.

It's like racing on a freeway with a bunch 900hp muscle cars, how do you not understand the concept of motorsport?

say what you will about NASCAR as a sport but the driver's have balls of steel. don't forget a lot of famous names have raced in american stock cars like kimi raikkonnen, nelson piquet junior and jaques villeneuve.

jeff gordon even did some exhibition laps on the Indy infield course and was only 4 seconds off the slowest qualifying lap and 7 seconds off of pole, in his FIRST time in an F1 car

gordonline.com/archive/061203.html

i was talking to an engineer the other day and he told me he had a big contract with one of the teams to re-do their alternator because if they have a more efficient alternator, it would free up horsepower, giving another slight edge

What? Kicking a ball around and diving if you get touched doesn't sound too hard.

This is what Smokey Yunick was up to years ago.
"Another Yunick improvisation was getting around the regulations specifying a maximum size for the fuel tank, by using eleven foot (three meter) coils of 2-inch (5-centimeter) diameter tubing for the fuel line to add about 5 gallons (19 liters) to the car's fuel capacity. Once, NASCAR officials came up with a list of nine items for Yunick to fix before the car would be allowed on the track. The suspicious NASCAR officials had removed the tank for inspection. Yunick started the car with no gas tank and said "Better make it ten," and drove it back to the pits."

and

"In typical Yunick fashion, the car, although superficially a stock Camaro, had acid-dipped body panels and thinner window glass to reduce weight, the front end of the body tilted downwards and the windshield laid back for aerodynamics, all four fenders widened, the front subframe Z'ed (to physically move the front suspension higher and lower the front of the car) and the floorpan moved up to lower the car, and many other detailed modifications. The drip rails were even brought closer to the body for a tiny aerodynamic improvement. A connector to the engine oil system was extended into the car's interior, to allow the driver to add oil from a pressurized hose during pit stops. In order to allow the driver enough freedom of movement, the shoulder harness was modified to include a cable-ratchet mechanism from a military helicopter."

youtube.com/watch?v=vtcbsi8itHw