What's your guys opinion on CVT hondas...

What's your guys opinion on CVT hondas? I'm looking at a new civic for a daily driver but have heard mix reviews on them.

>going on Veeky Forums for any sort of advice

These always end up reasonable and unbiased

I've heard nothing but bad things about CVT Hondas. Check out carcomplaints.com's worst vehicles, every Honda in the worst is almost entirely CVT tranny issues.

VTEC doesn't kick in as dramatically.

/thread

My mother has a GD1 Fit/Jazz with CVT. Drives OK, gearchanges almost not noticeable, is not as dumb as many make automatic transmission out to be.
But in recent years it's very rough, like rumbling through the whole car, when accelarating from 0. I'm afraid it's dying.

Honda can not make CVT
Prius has reliable geared CVT

Have an employee who had to trade her new CVT Civic as it couldn't produce enough power to go up a 35 degree incline with stock All Seasons when it was below 40 degrees out.

Keep in mind that even modern CVT cars have a "rubber band effect".

All civics minus the base models are also turbos which will suffer from "turbo lag" in normal city driving.

Rubber band plus turbo lag is a pretty shitty experience. You also have to ensure you maintain the CVT or else it will shit itself quickly, and unlike a traditional auto or manual, a CVT cannot be rebuilt or fixed, it has to be totally replaced.

CVT is shit. It's like a pillow between your foot and the accelerator.
The new civic is shit. Hideous modern pedestrian-safe front, high beltline, small windows, hideous fastback thing with a trunk instead of a liftback and the hatchback isn't square (practical) enough.

Just buy a used 9th gen. I believe 2013 was the last year of the traditional auto

CVTs in anything are less reliable and require more maintenance. They're used entirely to meet fuel efficiency requirements. They all rubber band the throttle and feel less consistent than a 6spd auto.

They're still experimental, basically anyone buying one now is applying for a $20k vehicle beta.

Concensus on this board will always be to avoid CVT

>become Australian
>can still buy manual versions of CVT cars

That's all you need to do mate.

How about changing the tranny fluid?

>cvt
>tranny fluid

Honda Accord CVT owner here, 80k miles still smooth as fuck.
This board is filled with nocar autists for a reason.

Honda's don't have gear cvt meaning they don't "shift" it's a band that stretches when you accelerate.

On a different note. Honda cvt a shit. All they do it rev to 4k until you let off the gas and the rpms drop. If you put it in s mode the rpms climb higher.

>mfw bought a 9th gen 2015
>everyone asks about my cvt and how it performs
>I tell them it's stick
>"oh those came manual?"
Derp.
I have only seen 3 other 2015 9th gens with a 5 speed like mine. Everyone I talk to about it can't believe mine is manual it's pretty funny

It's only good if you want a smooth ride, but it's painfully boring, gutless and slow. If you don't wanna fall asleep while driving avoid at all costs.

Yes, you are right. Inspired by this thread I googled a bit and it seems that my problem could be solved by changing the CVT fluid.

Jap cvts are shit no matter what brand it is.
Belt needs replaced as soon if not the same time timing needs replaced. The programing on the cvts are all shit and need reset/replaced ECUs usually before the timing even goes. Nissan manages to have worst cvt though.

Ive seen priuses kill the trans in 13k mi they aren't much better.

CVTs rob you of all acceleration and fun to get the best MPGs regardless of driver intent. Ever honked at a prius and hear their engine start screaming? The car barely moves.

At least autos drop a gear when you stomp on it

>inb4 my 2017 CVT can drop a gear ratio
i wouldn't know that as there is no way in hell i would drive a car with a CVT, so i go off reports from people who have had older models

Well its not necessarily needing replacement most time but its just cheaper that way and works better.

>Drop gear when stomping
Its the opposite you dipshit they upshift from that in hydrologic automatics.

>hurr

>Thinks that automatics upshift when you stomp on it

You're a really special kind of special.

My girlfriend has a 2012 Sentra with a CVT and good lord I hate driving that fucking thing.

It drives just like a standard automatic that shifts constantly, although very smoothly. Dont listen to the people telling you otherwise.

If you would rather have an automatic/CVT than a manual, I say go for it. I just drove 4 hours through rush hour traffic yesterday and honestly it was a pain in the ass in my 86 4runner, since its a manual.

The fact that you're looking to buy a civic in the first place tells me that you would have no problem with it being a CVT.

tl;dr: a CVT makes no difference in a civic.

>CVT

I'd be less ashamed to take the bus than drive a fucking CVT.