Using pushrods on a modern car

>using pushrods on a modern car
For what fucking reason???

because it gives a lower deck height for the engine so you can mount the engine at the same height and have a lower bonnet, less moving parts = more mechanical efficiency, and in a big square motor you can have a lot of torque, meaning you can add on tall overdrives to give good highway mpg

This +modern pushrods are extremely efficient. The only company not using them are simply trying to justify wasting millions in R&D.

>all race cars on the planet use ohc engines
>b-but muh torque
yea, you're going to need it to haul your fat ass around

and it's easier to get power out of small engines with DOHC because you can control the fuel mixture better. especially with stuff like VTEC where you can have a hot cam and an efficiency cam

Pushrod engines are ridiculously simple and very easy to work on.

I tore my pushrod engine apart and I've never actually torn into an engine before. Got it all back together and started first turn of the key.

what about stock cars, the c7-r, top fuel cars, etc

if you're just going to sheer power and grunt with minimal bullshit, ohv is where it's at

but if you want something more linear, efficient, and economical, then you want ohc

>top fuel
OHC engines are banned for being objectively superior.
>the C7R
A terrible example of pushrod performance.
>stock cars
nobody cares

>if you're going for sheer power ohv is where its at
It actually isn't. The fastest ever trap speed in a mile was set in OHC ford gt.

that doesn't mean anything. they took a car that can sit the turbo assembly over the rear for more traction, has a slippery CoDrag, and has tons of aftermarket support for forced induction

>gets proven wrong
>that doesn't mean anything
pushrod fags everyone....

if you can prove that they used an ohc car because it wasn't ohv then you have a point

until then the ford gt is always in the standing mile competitions because the engine and chassis are fucking strong

>pushrods on a modern car
>pushrods
>modern car
wew

They used an OHC engine because there's no reason to put shitty pushrods in a Ford GT.

well considering the three most powerful american cars (venom gt, hellcat cars, and the zr1) all have pushrods.....

or you could get a ford gt with only 630hp

All slower than a Ford GT in a mile long drag race

lol, yeah right

the ford gt can't even beat a v8 aston martin right now

That's the worst livery I've ever seen on a Ford GT.

not an argument

It wasn't intended as one. I didn't even read this gay ass thread. GTs just usually look cooler.

>and can't podium on any other track

when will you guys accept that ford paid off the WEC to win lemans for 'its 50th anniversary'

how does that kool aid taste?

>egg and spoon races
glad to see you're triggered, cuck

>inb4 100 replies of this guy making claims without evidence and raging that aston martin cannot compete
calling it now

hey they're the ones that can't even beat an old aston and a supposedly unreliable ferrari

what happened to ecoboost? lol

the only thing that's quality about ford is their ability to keep quiet when it comes time to hand the fia some money

because people are retarded and think you need low down torque to have a fast car.

>things that never happened
stay mad

>things that never happpened

alex, what is ford winning any other race this year?

>aston martin can't compete with Ecoboost in any way
Why are they such shit?

lol, stay mad

lol this cuck is mad

>lower deck height
>less moving parts
so why not rotary?
nah i'm pretty sure americans are just luddites

>implying OHC isn't just as old

because no one wants an engine out rebuild to be part of their 50k mile service

>rebuilding a rotary at 50k
maybe if you where running 500+ HP

>think you need low down torque to have a fast car.

you don't, but its not a bad thing to have.
proof:S2000

i raced an AP1 S2k in my LS1 t/a. my car is stock with 275/40zr BFGs out back. i didn't even launch (he dropped it) and we were dead even off the line, and right with each other till but i pulled on him at 80-90mph.

it was driven by a black dude that looked mad as fuck after he lost
>torque

truck engines have low down torque so i guess the new corvette will have a 20 litre twin turbo diesel

it's actually more reliable than OHC.

Variabele valve lift is still possible on pushrod engines, it's just that nobody has done it before. Because of the lifter design, it's really easy to deactivate cilinders, so you can run at a full V8/V6 for power, and I4/I3 for economy. Also, variable valve timing is still possible, even separate on intake and exhaust (see: Viper).

The advantage of pushrod packaging is kinda lost on non-V engines, so it makes very little sense on small I4's.

>OHC engines are banned for being objectively superior.
Source? Because afaik, the Cammer was still allowed in Top Fuel, it's just that it didn't offer any advantages over the Hemi's.

>Nobody cares
Now you're just ignoring evdicence.

>source
Literally type banned NRA engines into google you incompetent slut.

>muh stock cars
Nobody cares about that class.

GROUP C>Stock cars

>Standing mile
But power isn't as important there, aero and weight distribution are.

Quarter mile is where it's at if you want to prove your power - and GT's aren't as good there.

Results: Boss 429 banned, rotary banned, but nothing about OHC. It's all class-specific too, nothing said about Top Fuel.

>Nobody cares
Racing series don't exist if 'nobody cares'.

>series bans multiple engines because they outperform the competition
k

group c > stock cars

stay mad

Tradition is one of those funny things. For the same reason Porsche and Subaru have stuck with boxer and H engines instead of going inline or V.

Also . Best appreciate the thing for what it is instead of memeing about cars quicker than the bus you ride. Once it's gone (see also; rotaries) they're going to take along time to come back. And in between that point it'll just be the same dull shit over and over.

well since manufacturers stick to the engine they have experience with, i guess it's a shame that americans only have experience making shit engines

>rotary meme
>m-muh future

>rotary is a meme
>pushrod engines aren't
bizarro world

>grandpa Bought 1980 F150 with 302 new
>rebuilt it at 280k miles
>gave it to me at 300 something
>I rebuilt it at 450k, new crankshaft and internals this time 'round put new seats and another rebuilt tranny with 150k on it

Runs like brand new

>consumer auto makes up maybe 20% of america's emissions
>WE CAN MAKE THAT 50%! - rotards

americans wouldn't understand dorito engines lmao

have you spent the last decade in a coma?

yes as a matter of fact i have

rebuild that takes maybe 8 hours

Thanks

First dohc engine was early 1900s,how the fuck do memesters keep talking about ohv being ancient

So you didn't start to pull on him until your legs were stretched...
Proof that torque doesn't matter

yeah man 1900's OHC is the exact same as we have now

With only a 100 hp more and literally a thousand pounds heavier

Yeah the pushrods from 1900 also had 450hp/450tq while getting 30mpg highway

yeah the engines from 1900 had modern technologies like fuel injection
no w8 its totally the pushrods lmao

>Proof that torque doesn't matter

its just a different way of making HP.

>With only a 100 hp more

not quite.

>98-02 LS1 Fbody: 305 hp 345 ft-lb

>AP1 S2k F20c: 237 hp 153 ft-lb
>237 hp 153 ft-lb

that's only 68 hp user. but my engine redlines where VTEC KICKS IN YO

>1000 lb heavier

ap1: 2,809 lb
my car: 3450lb

only 641 lb heavier. that gives them very similar power:weight ratios with mine having a slight advantage. 11.3 lbs per HP vs 11.8 lbs per HP

though, the torque

>10 lbs curb weight per ft-lb engine torque
>18.3 lbs per torques

really we need to compare the torque curve and the way they make horsepower

Torque still doesn't matter
The f20 is a gutless piece of shit that doesn't make 160hp until 6000rpm.

Packaging

Thoughts on this superior pushrod V6?

>yeah the engines from 1900 had modern technologies like fuel injection
diesel engines from the period had fuel injection...

The only reason pushrods are good is because you can fit more displacement into the same volume. There is too much extra space in that engine bay to make the valve train worth it.

Yeah mechanical fuel injection. That's not the same thing

To open the valves