Ok guys I need one last bit of help to make this decision, I'm going to do the best to tl;dr the whole thing:

Ok guys I need one last bit of help to make this decision, I'm going to do the best to tl;dr the whole thing:
>Rode bikes for 6 years ish
>Haven't ridden one in two years since last one broke it was a ninja 250
>Found 2009 R1 with 9,XXX miles, for $4,300
>Want to get liter bike as I know I'll probably not want another bike for a while after.
>I live in the PNW and it rains all the time, I'm scared shitless of what riding this thing will be like in the rain.
>I've only been on 600's twice
>Id be getting the bike for a daily commuter and selling my car.
>Cages just don't excite me and I get bored to death driving.

I'm kind of freaking myself out about this whol thing, maybe I'm just over thinking it but I really want the liter bike. Just terrified it will be too much for me.

Any advice or input?

Other urls found in this thread:

chico.craigslist.org/mcy/5735846438.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Id be getting the bike for a daily commuter and selling my car.
>Cages just don't excite me and I get bored to death driving.

Oh jeez OP you are really retarded.
>Selling car cause it bores you to death.
>Literally dies riding an R1 in the rain.

Good luck.

You will hopefully have many years to experience all kinds of bikes, get something a bit more docile for getting comfortable on two wheels again and riding erryday. Add it to your collection and buy an R1 in a bit.

DDing an R1 is gonna be fun as fuck until it gets old. Hunched over behind a car in 1st gear begging to move. Fear of giving too much wrist on a wet day, etc.
It's your money, but I wouldn't sell your car to get it. If you're serious about commuting on a bike like I did for a while I suggest a sport touring bike with a less aggressive stance. I ride an sfv650 and its so comfy and fun. But it might be too slow for what you want. If I were you I'd get a Yamaha FZ-09. Very comfortable, big enough tank, and almost as fast as most liter bikes. Its also a torque monster that loooooves to wheelie. Good luck user ride safe

Pic related, buddies silver FZ and my SV

Damn, those are some cleans bike user.
How do those bikes handle? I myself am looking into a non-hunch-over kinda bike and those look perfect.

Well they are higher than sport bikes while having low seats, and also wide handlebars. So when you lean it feels "more dangerous" I would say, they handle just as good as 600's+ but feel more exciting in my opinion. Also with the ground clearance you can hop a curb or high speed bump with ease. Mine is a vtwin so it has all its power at the bottom, very nice for start and stop traffic (or wheelies). The FZ is a 3 cylinder so it has a nice power band all the way to the top.
I picked mine up for $2400, it's an '09 w/ 10k miles.
My friend bough his new for 7k, but I just looked and you can get them for around 5k used. You can't really go wrong with these bikes, I highly recommend.

They look awesome. I've been looking for an SV650S but this also looks like a good option as well.

Also That looks like Infineon Raceway in the back. Are you from around there?

Well mines the SFV650 "Gladius" that I made into a streetfighter. But all SV's are pretty much equal and share loads of parts. Nice to have a big family and aftermarket support.
That's Charlotte Motor Speedway, we parked at the gate and hopped the fence to watch stock cars practice lol.

OP here, thanks for the input guys.
To add a little more based on your replies, I wouldn't be selling my car to afford the bike, I can buy the bike outright now and keep my car, I just have no interest in driving anymore.

I DD'd my 250 for almost 7 years through ice, rain, you name it. I didn't own a car until I was 21, many years after I got a bike.

The reason I'm interested in this R1 specifically is because of its price, it's thousands cheaper than anything else I can find in my price range for now, and I'd like to get a bike soon so I can cash in on winter pricing and save even more.

I have good throttle control on the 250, never crashed it on the streets from anything that was rider error but I did crash it a handful of times doing stupid shit in parking lots.
I'm just scared of the R1 because of never having ridden a liter bike, I only hear horror stories and everyone telling everyone they will die riding one.
So like I said I'm probably blowing it out of proportion with my thoughts on it, just nervous still.

Having a few friends that have rode in the rain with an R1 I wouldn't recommend it if you've never rode a litre bike before. Jumping from a 250 to an R1 is a big jump.

Good to hear you'd still have a backup car, sorry for high jacking your thread lol.
There's probably a reason it's thousands less though, I would thoroughly look over that bike. No offense but there's no such thing as throttle control on a 250. 30hp is very very forgiving compared to 100hp+ but I'm betting you can handle it, you've been riding longer than me. Just be extremely careful and remember that anything over 9k RPM is gonna fuck your world up. Bikes are cheap, if you want it get it, if you decide it isn't right for you flip it for 1000 more than you paid

Wow those are good prices. I've done a little searching and to get an 09 with only 10k on it is around $5,000. Bikes in California are expensive, but it hasn't rained yet so I'm going to wait around that time to actually buy.

What if you need to carry something?

Honestly, dude, don't sell your car.

Sport bikes are supposed to be a treat to ride. But if you're relying on it to ride, you'll quickly grow to resent the aggressive seating position and the lower MPG

The best time to buy is October-November so if you can wait a little bit you could knock a couple hundred off easily. It's some of the cheapest, reliable fun money can buy. Also I have a very colorful driving history and the insurance on this thing is only $20/mo

Yeah I'm going to wait, I'll probably pick up a SV650S though, but since they're on the same platform I'm assuming yours is reliable as hell. I've seen SV650S hit about 100k miles or more with up to date maint. That Yamaha FZ-09 isn't too bad either.

As someone who lived in Oregon with my only vehicle being a motorcycle, don't. It doesn't work that well.

Yeah, that's really the only part that's got me worried. I mean i think I would be ok, but I just worry about ending up fearing the bike.

This is my other rationale, if I end up getting scared or freaked out, I could just flip it for something else.
No worries on the thread hijack, free bumps :^)

Very valid points, I forgot to mention that my girlfriend and I live together and work for the same company and work roughly the same times, so I could easily hitch a ride to work in really bad weather.
As for carrying stuff I could just use her car.
My second greatest fear is leaving a liter bike at an apartment all day. We have covered parking but no garage. Im going to buy some 3/4" chains to attach it to posts when I'm gone, but it still makes me nervous.

I'm also by no means sold on getting the bike, just throwing all my pertinent information out there for advice.

Any Humboldt or adjacent county anons here wanna ride around n shit?

OP here, i live within 40 miles of Seattle, weather is pretty similar. Lots of hills, lots of rain

Sonoma County here.

You going to the norcal meet on the 15th?

Not too sure. I don't really know my work schedule that far in advance. I'm planning on it if I don't work. What will you be bringing?

Bikes are retarded. All bikers do is bitch about not being seen on the road. How about you Fucking drive a bigger vehicle.

Im pretty sure the 2009 r1s have traction control, right? Well ive never ridden a liter bike that didnt have rider assists but the ones that do are easier to ride than 600s. With that said tho i experience wheel spin on my 1199 in the rain with the sport mode set and newish pirelli super corsas

Did a long tan and handsome sportbike rider come and fuck your little girlfriend? So sorry, stay cucked in your big safe metal box.

>or just stop being a cunt

80% chance I'll go, but I'll be bringing the car for that.
Keep an eye out for her, 2007 with 22800 miles

Thoughts on this?
chico.craigslist.org/mcy/5735846438.html
Looking to get something a bit sportier than a dual sport, but still have clearance and all that

this is basically you

>Drive a lifted truck
>"if you want to be seen and not be demolished in a crash how about you drive a lifted truck i'm not gonna give uop muh lifted truck so you can be seen in your pussy car for women this is america we drive trucks here"

except bikes are pretty easy to notice because they paint them neon colors, make the exhaust ten times louder, and weave around in their lane with one arm up holding a sign that says "look at me", pulling the clutch in every few seconds to rev the engine

You want the newer SV's with the fuel injection.

Exactly this. I decided to DD a GSX-R and it was the biggest fucking mistake of my life. These bikes simply aren't made for any low speed city/town commuting. Every day it's the same thing: stuck behind some fucking retard going way too slow. Meanwhile the entire time my jap inline4 landjet of an engine is just begging me to go WOT. This is on top of my hips cramping, lower back soreness, and general discomfort. I can't imagine compounding this with rain or some other form of inclement weather.

They are cool bikes but they are too one dimensional to be a daily driver. If you have significant highway travel time, it might be tolerable since the wind drag will relieve a lot of pressure on your body but you can just forget about any type of stop and go/city traffic

Source: Upgraded to a gixxer from a ninja 250 for commuting, ended up just using the 250 for 99% of my commuting and the gixxer to hoon around on early morning weekends when all the plebs are sleeping

get a comfy naked bike

At what year does that start up?

Recommendations for a cheaper first bike that would be a good daily commuter in the pnw?

Go with whatever you want man. The only criteria you need to look for is an upright riding position. A medium displacement twin would be great (SV650, DR650, KLR, etc...) but even lower displacement bikes are absolutely fine (Ninja 250). Don't let the idiots meme you into the whole carburetor vs. fuel injection nonsense. For the purposes of commuting, it literally makes no difference and unless you live in the arctic circle, it will never be cold enough to where you'll have to spend longer than 30 seconds using the choke. And that is assuming you even store your bike outside.

Also...

>mfw idiots try to argue saying they don't want to waste time "fiddling with the choke" ignoring that literally all the early 2000s FI bikes have a fast idle lever

Chain wax or grease?

That starts 2003 and up.
They're overall a way better bike then the carb

anything that isn't a fetal position supersport

ie: honda sabre (not honda shadow sabre)

ninja 250 was /dbt/'s old memebike
ninja 500 is /dbt/'s new memebike

>carb vs fi

when maintenance comes around, it matters. clogged carbs happen more often than clogged injectors. also, FI makes simple mods like exhausts easier to tune for, whereas carbs can be so bitchy that you can't even install a different brand of air filter without needing to adjust something.

It's not hard to see a car at all. Even from a lifted truck. By your logic everyone should drive a fucking motorcycle. Bike fags have to be the dumbest people on earth that's why most of you don't wear helmets because there is nothing to protect anyway. It doesn't matter how loud or neon your 2 wheeled fart rocket is if it's in the blind spot of someone who is merging. Get the fuck over yourself and admit your vehicle has dangerously low visibility and it's solely your fault when you get in an accident for buying the dumbest mode of transportation legally available.

Couldn't be anymore wrong.
First off, you can't drive a motorcycle. It's riding. Second, it's the drivers sole responsibility to look over the shoulder and see the blind spot. It is their fault if they do not do that and hit someone. Simple understanding of the law.

You Fucking morons weave through traffic so much it's impossible to know for sure if between the time you check your blind spot and start to merge if someone has RIDDEN their dual wheeled tard transporter into the lane you are going into.

>it's not hard to see a car
If they're not in your blind spot.

It's not hard to see a motorcycle at all. If they're not in your blind spot.

Bigger vehicles have bigger blind spots. Bigger vehicles tend to stick out of blind spots. As vehicles get bigger because americans are fucking retarded, you need to get a bigger vehicle if you want to be seen by people without necks (americans).

However, sedan-sized vehicles and bikes are close enough in size that it's normally very easy for them to spot eachother. Add the high beltlines of fattymobiles that NEED backup cameras and suddenly a fucking corolla is too small.

You are not safe if you drive a bigger vehicle, you're a danger to everyone else. Why not drive a fucking semi if you're so selfish? If this nation were civilized, you would need a special permit and proof of justification for driving anything larger than those wagons with lots of headroom they're calling "crossovers".

we should take those neckless inbreds off the fucking road and put them on the bus where they belong

t. evade SUV/brotruck driving obese retards in a "compact" sedan daily.

Everyone hates those sportbike squids, but hating everyone on a bike is just dumb

nobody drives bikes where i live so it's "convertibles"

>they too small, i cant seeum
>fuggin sport currs ridin muh ass aint even show in muh rearview lookinamjig

I ride an R6 and I never weave in and out. I lane split during rush hour at the appropriate speed CA allows, but never wear around. And I always look behind me and to the sides before I change lanes. Drivers do not. They are always on their phones. Just this morning I saw 5 people on the highway texting and driving. Going 70+ MPH. You think they even look at their mirrors? Cause I Don't.

Thanks man, what should I expect to pay for like a 2005 with 10k miles? Also, what's the differences between the SV650 and SV650S? Thanks for all the help user

The dual sport and "adventure" bike riders here can be seen using their phone mounts for texting. The carfags don't text a lot, but they do spend time fucking with their infotainment systems and doubtlessly "hands free" calling (just as distracting even though you have two hands on the wheel).

Depending on location and what time of year they go for roughly $2,500-$3,500. Since it's close to October they will likely drop prices. Also the S has the fairings and slightly different gearing, little more sportier. The standard SV650 is naked, so no fairings. It's a little more comfortable. I would sit on both to test which you like. I really love the SV650S and will be buying one soon.

Lane splitting is legal in California and many other countries

Get over it fag- its safer for us

maybe be a proper driver and be aware of your surroundings- our headlights are bright as shit even in the daylight- its not hard to see when you check your mirror to change a lane- if you are even capable of that...

So you'd say something like this is worth it? Or do the small scratches on the left really put down the price?
Honestly I'm looking to make sure I can turn around and break even if I decide I don't like it, I currently ride a 2001 Honda 650 L, so they're a bit different.

Also, is registering an Oregon bike in California a problem?

I didn't even mention lane splitting you widow licking negroid. I know it's fucking legal some places.

Well those bikes are very good. They hold their value regardless on scratches. I've seen these bikes get to 50k miles and still be worth 2k. You'll break even on them for sure if you sell it in the right time. I'd always recommend going to a shop and paying the 60 bucks for them to look it over.

Also not too sure about registering in different states, I would assume it's the same as with a car, but I can't say for certain.

Regardless- "weaving" or whatever the fuck you want to call it... is simply filtering traffic

we are smaller- we can do so... getting into any open spot is the best place for us- fuck being in between the rear and front of two cars... im not going to be the meat in a sandwich

my point still tands, its not hard to hear or see us- fucking be a normal driver and keep your eyes open, its not hard.

>being mad at someone for choosing a more economical and environmentally friendly mode of transportation that literally takes up 6.5x less space than the average sedan all while taking on significantly greater risk to their personal wellbeing

You must be a very special kind of retard.

Last question, think It would be wise to wait until November for prices? Or do you think It would be relatively the same for these? Thanks for the bundles of help user

It's not more environmentally friendly you fuckwit. They produce less emissions by volume but when you break it down to the ppm of detrimental molecules emitted, which is what actually matters, bikes are worse than cars by an extreme margin. Do your research before jumping in. I don't care if you want a bike just don't throw a hissy fit when someone, justifiably, can't see your dumb ass on the road.

Take a couple days and sleep on it, sounds to me like this will help you decide.

t. PNW Liver

>wants an R1
>afraid to ride the thing

Stop acting like you're 12 and use your brain. Don't get a bike if you're going to sell your car because how do you expect to carry shit? What are you going to do if it's too hot/wet/windy/cold to ride?

Get an SV650, ride it for 6-12 months THEN get an R1 if you still want one.

You clearly haven't thought this through enough.

Don't sell your car.

Do this.

This.

I debated on selling my car once I bought my bike, then didn't because I'm lazy. The first time I needed groceries on a rainy day, I realized I made the correct choice.

Liters really aren't scary. At least if you've ridden bikes before and know how to modulate a motorcycle throttle. It's just another bike. Nothing should suprises you. Not like your gonna forget high rpm in low gear makes power. I think it's mainly warnings from new riders to no riders. But yea will sucks as a daily. Everyone's saying an fz09 I have a 2016 that Ishe my daily presently. Yea it makes more sense but is still pretty shifty. Bars are high and great power but still super uncomfortable and no storage. Fine maybe if you have a 30 min commute but far far from a couch. It's just as bad as anything I've ridden as a tourer. Great bargain for sure though used considering age and MSRP.

I have a neighbor who DDs a motorcycle. I have no idea how he does it because around us, there's tons of oil that the rain brings up and makes the roads slick as fuck. On top of that, everyone in Oregon suddenly forgets how to drive as soon as it starts raining.

You clearly didn't even attempt to read the thread