/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

big dwarves edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Alpha version available, expect issues if you use it.):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Alpha: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.43.05-alpha1

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

rule34.xxx/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=21403
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

fuck boats and botefags

That's just mean, ninedots christened boteanon.

Third for cutebolds!

ninedots is a faggot enabler, and also a faggot himself.

Just a reminder that, soon, dwarves with some fire magic will REMOVE ELF.

>angery

You got too much mad there fren.

Fun fact, she was asleep when she named it.

Goddamn bonecrafters wasting my life.

Guys, I keep changing my mind on fort layout and feel I need to restart. Do you guys end up dividing your forts into 2 or more areas areas, one for close to the surface trading + surface defense, and one down deeper for deep dwarf resting, mining, cooking, etc?

I build ten separate forts that are closed off from eachother, and have trade between themselves.

>finally git gud enough to have a self sufficient fort
>a few years go by with no caravans from the mountainhome
>google "no outpost liason? how curious.. "
>mfw I embarked with an extinct society

now you get to be king

I've heard of talking in your sleep, but this?

DEEP MINES
DEEP DREAMS

>rape face
Damn right, you get hyped to be the last bastion of dwarf society

Organic cliff-face lake-side fishing fort is fun.

I'm trying to constantly think ahead and have a little bit prepared for any eventuality, as I've found that makes a fortress far more robust. What are some areas that I might be overlooking?

Magma.

>lose a fort to save corruption a month ago
>still haven't found the willpower to start a new one

It was just so. So perfect. So pure.

This is why you keep back ups, friend. A small 4gb USB can hold tonsss

>werebeast parchment quires
>demon parchment scrolls
>fucking mega-angel parchment scrolls
Goddamn librarians are hardcore.

rape face? what's it from?

You and I both know that all of those dead beasts were killed by a dwarven baby and/or cat in the year 98. That librarian didn't do shit except sit on his ass and think about masterpiece mechanisms.

>4 hours
>14 posters
>23 replies

At this point we could probably safely integrate into /rlg/

is it possible for one of my visitors to be a vampire?

rule34.xxx/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=21403

Absolutely.

Never.

the fact that you would recognize that is a little bit worrying. are you ok user?

Calm down, it's just a quiet time of the day. And most of us are just lurking.

Another lurker reporting in for duty.

Perfectly fine. Well, tired as balls, but that's beside the point.
It's not that I recognized that exact picture, per se, but the artist in question has a distinctive way of drawing minotaur.
Two words in a search bar, and there was a concise list of images to pick the source out from.

hai hai, lurker desu

True, still funny.

Also did a bit of science since I remembered dfhack is mostly functional and figured out that there is actually a legendary protector of the weak fame level but I have no idea what you gotta do to hit it normally, I sat there telling this guy about like half a dozen cases of "I slew many foes" and multiple piles of names which were all bandits and the value was at 6 in my history.figures[my id].reputation.wanted[civ I was bragging to].unk2 or some shit, the third entry in the lists.

Setting them to 100 did this.

Neat. Do you get any unique dialog from the plebians?

>the update was like 4 months ago and I still haven't played DF because I don't play without Dwarf Therapist
>Surely you can perceive whose fault is that, right?

I'm going to go with Toadys for not fixing the fundamental problems with DF after 10 years. Labor isn't a "oh well its a complicated game" problem. It's a fucking shitshow that is barely usable and should have been the priority 5 years ago.

Seems to be the same stuff so far, I'll check when I get to another area I set the fame to max in.

You can use the alpha-dfhack labormanager to streamline labor!

>labor
>barely usable

Being a little generous there, honestly.

Yeah I'm convinced the anti-rapist shitposters are meming. Either that or they're autistic enough to enjoy the tedium.

damn I'm tired of my military doing all they can to drown
first three people decide to spar near a well and all of them drown
then two more run outside to fight whatever and drown in the nearby river
god

I think you've convinced yourself that therapist is better than it is. It saves you maybe 20 minutes in a typical 4 hour or so play session.

my military is training away right now but my fort is near a lake so I'm about to try an aquatic danger room to train some swimming

But why would anyone use rapist? dfhack is objectively superior.

It has a labors table just like the rapist does, but it's in-game.

And if you don't want to manage your labors, it can automate them.

rapist has tables which tell you who's the best fit for a job based on their attributes and values
very important for scholars and doctors

Yeah so you obviously don't want to get to know your dorfs, so why don't you just automate that shit with dfhack?

It's objectively the better solution for casual players like you. No autism, no tedium, no micromanaging, no problem.

uhh but you can't automate scholars with dfhack?
I use the ingame labor menus but therapist is good if I ever need something more advanced than changing a few job preferences
why are you even trying to start shit like this

>why are you even trying to start shit like this
mostly because im just as bored as you are

have you tried making a fort where you eventually enlist every dwarf into the military
you also have to craft each one of them full masterwork equipment
you could also turn off all announcements, disable pause and make a script that presses a and esc once in a while to turn off liaison messages
then leave the game to run while you sleep
making the preparations is fun

i actually like forts that don't have any military at all
it's fun to build dorven contraptions to deal with threats

like say you get a forgotten beast
you cant simply send your military to kill it and call it a day
so your only option is to over-engineer something dorfy
like a trap chamber where you try to knock it down with caveins if you somehow manage to lure it in
or magma pumpstack with a side reservoir above it to burn everything in that cave layer
then you also have to design a magma drain when half of your cave is full of unwanted red sevens
its fun

I'm planning on making a fort based on the idea that there is a rigid class system. In other words I want to make the majority of dwarves live in slums on the surface while the opulent get their own personal dining halls below. If all goes well the underclass will literally eat the rich.
Any suggestions I could incorporate into this idea?

I don't know, dude, I usually have like 30 military dwarves and 5 non-military ones. I have no idea what to do with too much people around. If I never had any military, I'd just disable migrants entirely and live off of my starting dwarves.
Wouldn't the best idea be making a long hallway with a bridge in it and just retract the bridge when the enemy is on top of it to make him fall onto whatever danger is below?

half the challenge is designing a fort that doesnt lag too much with 300+ dorfs milling around

the other half is figuring out something crazy to do with them

I can't bear when my fps drops below 100. I have max fps set to 300 and everything happens almost instantly when it holds, but 2 years in even with just 40 people around on a very small burrow with no pets I have to endure 100 fps and it hurts.

So I had a troll captured recently, and thought it would be good idea to trade him away to the dwarven caravan since I had no idea what I should use him for. So i selected him to bring up, and shortly after I got a message saying 'urist McChickenEggCollector stopped egg gathering: interrupted by a troll'. Panicking, I went down to see what the damage was turning out to be, and the troll was dead from a non-military dwarf. I thought trolls were supposed to be challenging?

I actually don't mind things going down to like 15-30. It's kind of neat to do things like follow someone around and see what they do with their day, or just watch the tavern.

Once it's sub-10 though, time to retire.

>I can't bear when my fps drops below 100

I really don't understand this sort of mindset; I have my FPS capped at 60 and 30. knows where it's at, though I've yet to experience FPS consistently dropping below a level where I think it's too slow so I don't know if 9 FPS would be trouble or not.

I also have my FPS capped at 50.

100 is way too fast for comfy and I don't like the game getting slower all the time, it ruins your perception of time.

Plump

No, u shut up

Where do you get off, posting things like that at me?

>hai hai
moshi moshi*
Step up your weeaboo game senpai, Or I'll chew ur ass

You are the one that plays with a crutch
Most of us don't need a crutch to play the game
You are bad

Moshi moshi is a phrase that's only used for answering telephones.

I'm posting bote until toady adds botes and we can have real fishing in the game

Every noble-y dwarf will have masterful red clothes
With the symbol and name of your fort lodged
Bonus points for making the name a tyrant motto like '' The chosen ones''
The peasants will be naked full time, and their clothes will be sold
All noble-ys dwarves should be scholars, doctors ore other good professions
Peasants are productors and medium soldiers
Great hole on the ground up to the magma where you sacrifiice peasants

Its a meme, it surpasses traditional barriers
Hey, I missed you bote-user, pls answer dis

I'm posting shite until toady adds shite amd we can have real shitting in the game.

(it's just a fake, so don't ban me)

>literally shitposting

baka

I snorted laughter but that doesn't mean you're not a bad_ person

this
desu Im gonna save that pic

This doesn't feel right.

If i built individual rooms off of my barracks and assign them to the dwarves in my squads, do I need to have a chest in the barrack itself for dwarves to store their equipment correctly, assuming each of the individual rooms have a chest + cabinet and aren't assigned as part of the barracks itself?

please explain

C-can I become one of your resident drawfags? I promise to get better.

>Embark with a bunch of geese
>most are average geese
>one is skinny, butchered immediately
>one is very fat
>one is "incredibly muscular"
>start breeding to get the most muscular and fat geese
>tfw my geese in a few years

Finally get some free time to immerse into dorfz.
>Day 1, smack 10h into my fortress, get all the basics done, smelting, military, farms, population of ~150 fully roomed and tavern up and running.
>Day 2, another 10h of wars and fun, lots of dead goblins, smelting goblinite into steel baby.
>Day 3... crash ~3min after game load, crash every 2-10min after game load, crash, crash, crash, rip desire to play.

>boats
Welcome aboard!
We discuss boats here. Looking forward to more.

>those frowns
>that cheekbone
>That bird
Unless you change any of that, I'll be saving every drawing you post in a file called /dfg/ drawfags, with the files of 9dots and timbukdrew themselves
The only thing I need is a name

hmm, so genetics and selective breeding is properly implemented? thats really awesome!

>selective breeding
Yep
>Genetics
sorta. Somebody could explain it better than me
You get the ''If I breed two strong people I'll get strong babies'' But It really ends up there
There isn't any placeholder for interbreeding because proper genetics are not implemented, putted in simple

>trying to embark
>no anvil

hmm

The genetics in the game are really basic but if you breed two geese with "fat" genetics the goslings are more likely to be fat as well. There are also dominant and recessive genes that I know exist for hair color but I am not sure this applies to metabolism as well.

You can always hope that the first caravan brings one. Just make sure to make enough to buy it.

Just saw last thread and loved to little dialog going on, and thought it would be fun to draw.

Also someone asked what I use to draw,
Pentel R.SV.P Bk90 pens, and I scan my images with a Scansnap s1300.

Rip boat guy

This one has all the Entente clumped together.

Yes!

botefags BTFO

boates BTFO confirmed

W-what is he going to add?!

yeah, It is kinda ok for the moment, but it isn't realistic
Theoretically, I could make an adventurer with some 'x' starting atributes, train it to super-everything, fix his default asexuality with dfhack, retire him at some previously abandoned fort, change to fort mode, burrow him with some preselected chick in a room with a year of supplies, wait some years, and bam
Their baby would be stronger than usual, because the game doesn't differentiate between genetics and atributes
Its the same reason egg-layers receive the tame status of their mother at the time his egg was layed upon

yeah, it's a long way from realistic genetics but it's one of those features most people don't really care about. I would rather have Toady work on other features instead of reworking the genetics system.

is for anyone else dwarf fortress the only reason you haven't killed yourself yet

Is there anything somewhat similar to the starter pack that's up to date?

I haven't played DF in about a year and that was the easiest thing to use at the time (I played it a good bit but in Dwarf Fortress terms just a scrub)

Mostly just wondering if I have to go manual mode or if there's a launcher/etc. that people are using

no, fortunately. I'm so bad at it that if I were in such a mental state it would probably push me over the edge.

>about 4 months into a new embark in the snow
>"Urist cancels eat: Horrified"
>game freezes
>"Your settlement has withered and died"