What's the best suitcase style tool box set in the world for general use...

What's the best suitcase style tool box set in the world for general use? For general use on anything from tractors to lawnmowers.

My votes on this.

Is there a better one out there?

Pittsburgh 301 piece is pretty great considering you can get it on sale for $150. I keep it in the trunk of my 90 Miata in case of roadside repairs.

I'm not a fan of some of those Pittsburgh sets. HF stuff is ok sometimes, but you gotta be careful what you buy. Don't use that HF screwdriver as a little pry bar to try and pop plastic shit off your engine bay on the side of the road, it will probably break. Plus the only decent HF ratchets are the ones with the black and green handle and those normally don't come in the kits.

And to add, if you catch a good sale at Sears, you can get a similar Craftsman kit for almost the same price.

>tfw hooked up this lil AC unit in the garage
I wonder if it will actually cool the place down

thats a lot of weight to carry in the truck of a shitbox

especially a rotary

Rotary engines are still revolutionary designed.

Look at infinitely variable transmissions, perfect in every way mathematically and physically, they are simple in design.

Imagine an engine like that

i think he was just joking

> keeping your tools in molded plastic slots of the starter pack

I love having this shitty little tool kit. If I take a trip or need to do something simple without digging through my big too box, I grab pic related. Plus you always know if you left a socket laying around.

>dat 1/2" drive 9mm socket
I think I grabbed this thing on clearance in the back of Meijer for something stupif cheap. Hasn't failed me yet.

Either a bag or a pelican case with the tools you actually think you'll need. Would be pretty ridiculous to carry around both SAE and Metric full socket set with a handful of random bits and not much else

I guess I did take it too seriously. Rotaries are amazing in how simple they are and there's so much to learn from them but they just lack efficiency. Its still a huge stride forward in terms of creating a decent motor that has next to no moving parts compared to piston engines. Those things are insanely easy to learn and do interior motor work on compared to an antique DOHC

So I'm having problems with that torque wrench and the dial indicator getting contaminated with oil and solvents. Guess I need to grab a micrometer type for doing main bearings?

In addition to the obvious stuff I carry a piece of sheetmetal, tin snips, and j-b kwikweld.

>keeping your drinks in molded plastic cupholders
>keeping manuals and car related documents in a plastic molded glovebox
>keeping spare change and day to day car things inside a plastic molded center console

Holy fuck. I'm a dumbass! Please enlighten me about how you use vehicles!

OP here, I'm not talking about a briefcase style tool kit that has bearing presses and shit.

I just want to know what's the best general use tool kit you can actually carry with you one handed... Like its a briefcase

That's like a mobile job tool kit, right? Or you actually keep the torque wrench in your truck in case you need to do a head gasket on the side of the road?

But yeah, looking at that pic OP posted, he definitely doesn't need those deep and shallow sockets all in the trunk. A bag with a 3/8" drive ratchet set, a couple adjustables, some pliers, screwdrivers, and a few other things with the jack and tire iron would get a lot done on the side of the road and you could probably get all the shit you need from HF for like $50.

One of those boxes in the OP pic would be nice to keep around the house if he doesn't have many tools.

>keep the torque wrench in your truck
I dont know about him, but I keep one for sparkplugs.

Intredasting.

I think that's like his mobile job bag. He drives that old truck yet has the laptop and cables in there.

Just wrap the handle in a bag and zip tie it off

Yeah that's for travelling, but if I had one in my car it wouldn't be too different, in my own car I have a cheap harbor freight multi and some jumper wires with alligator clips, that's one of the most useful things you can have in your car, or even just a test light

Also lugnuts

I usually wait until around christmas to get stuff from Sears. Last year got me a full set of wrenches for around $60, which isn't too bad considering. The deals are kind of weird sometimes but worth it.

I do need to get down on a good multimeter one day. I know my dad had a bunch of nice ones but I'm sure somebody else got their hands on them. I'm just weary of fucking with electrical stuff when I don't know what I'm doing.

That's what I did last year. The stuff get so cheap when they have good deals. It's much better to jump on it when they have the sale rather than paying way more when you really need it. That ratchet set with all the hex and torx sockets is like $140 full price and was on sale for around $50. And the ratcheting wrench sets are $100 or $120 at full price and that was only $50 or $60 on sale.

I had to replace more than half the shit in the engine bay since I bought the car 11 months ago. And I'm not even sure I did the work right. Having a shitload of tools in the trunk makes me less paranoid.

The world is gonna skip the rotary and go straight to electric. It's a dead end.

Craftsman is garbage.

Wrong. The world skipped electric and went to ICE.

Never had an issue with them for my weekend warrior projects. Pretty much everybody agrees they are a good mid-tier company and I can't complain. I have wrecked a ton of HF stuff with mild use though. I would much rather pay the extra $20 for a Craftsman kit over a Pittsburgh kit.

Craftsman is still decent, but its way overpriced for what it is.
kobalt is roughly the same quality but cheaper.

That lifetime warranty, though

Craftsman is great for that.

Easy to get broken tools replaced, too.

No need to wait on a tool truck.