How hard is it actually to restore a 1960's mustang?

How hard is it actually to restore a 1960's mustang?

Other urls found in this thread:

mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatalog/SheetMetal/body.htm
eauclaire.craigslist.org/cto/5791266581.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Depends on the condition of the car, money, and your skill set. You'll never be wanting for parts though. There's lots of parts cars out there and they almost repop anything on them. If you can handle body work and paint then restoring is pretty easy, it just takes time.

They rust like a bitch if you live up north.

Some things are hard, if it has any rust chances are you need to cut out the cowl, which means removing the windshield. They left the cowls in bare metal on a seam so they all rust through, then drip onto the floor and rust the floor out. Most of the car is pretty simple though and parts are really easy to find.

They literally make every replacement part, even chassis (stamped on the original tooling).
Dynacorn.com

Takes like 3 wrench sizes for 90% of the car.
There's like 5 wires going to the engine.

if ya gotta ask

make sure the floor pans aren't done in because 60s mustangs are unibody and floor pans take the brunt of most torque

No body restores 1960s mustang.
It's all a lie.
Rich people buy license reproductions of mustangs, and claim to restore from scratch.

mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatalog/SheetMetal/body.htm

Alright so what if my experience is basic oil changes, serpentine belt and spark plug installation? Would this be a good first timer whole project car?

You can get every single part brand new.
it's one of the easiest cars to fix up if its not a rust pile

go with Air cooled beetles.
There's a reason why you read, heard, see about them everywhere.

You aren't going to find anything that's much easier, but every Mustang is different. You aren't going to be able to identify what the car really needs when you buy it so chances are it's going to take a long time to learn how to do what you actually have to do. Dealing with rust is the hardest thing, mechanical issues are easy in comparison, just try to find the straightest body you can

Can you rebuild an engine?
Do you know a machine shop that can re-bore the block?
Do you have the tools, including measurement tools?

Beyond the engine :
Electrical, do you have solid experience with wiring and electronics? Can you do it and make sure it's watertight?

Bodywork : Do you have experience with metal work? Can you weld? Can you shape sheet metal? Can you prep, prime, paint, clearcoat, and buff?

Interior : Are you any good with seam work? Do you have experience stretching and stitching material?

Other : You'll also likely want to replace a load of shit, engine mounts, you may need to do some tranny work, exhaust...

You know what? Your question can be easier answered with another simple question : Can you build a car?

Just ruined my dreams, guess it's back to idolizing 90's jap shitboxes.

what is antirust

Why don't you tell us since you seem to think it will be relevant to a 50 year old car with a bare metal cowl

I'm in Houston, so hopefully finding a one that's not a rust bucket is too hard. Ones in good condition that need some work (mostly cosmetic and brakes and shit) are running $10k with done paint jobs. Is that a good price?

WTF I hate classic cars now

what is a winter rat

really makes you think

I'm with you dude. I always fantasize about buying a car off craigslist and restoring it but I don't shit about shit so I'll be paying the dealer to service my used cars forever.

I was being sarcastic because Is talking out his ass.

Pretty hard, it was made by Ford. Bringing back life to a Ford is confirmed impossible.

I would recommend a Camaro or a I guess a Challenger.

You sir are the perfect example of a normie.
You get on Veeky Forums and act you are a "car enthusiast"
but when it comes down to actually touching a wrench or getting your hands dirty, you just go to the stealership and pay someone to do it.

Faggot.

>Bringing back life to a Ford is confirmed impossible.
Prove it.

Don't need to. Ford's were always shit, so restoring one would be a waste of time.

It's like trying to bring someone back from the dead.

I have a 66. If you have the opportunity try to get a 67-71. They are a bit wider and have a bit more support than 64.5-66.
That said you can basically build a whole classic from scratch so it's not "hard" it's just time consuming. Also don't be afraid if you are looking at one with a straight 6. They are bulletproof and can handle 220+ hp.

Don't need to redo an engine you can find a good 289 or 302 on CL for a couple hundred bucks

Electrical is easier than you think and the car doesnt have much in the way of an electrical system anyway

You don't need to weld to do bodywork.

You don't need to recover your seats yourself, or maybe at all

replacing engine mounts is free
nobody does tranny work just replace it if its bad
exhaust is easy

You're an idiot

Wrong.

Floor pans are not structural components of a First Gen Mustang. The torque path through the chassis is the front subframe to the rocker boxes to the rear subframe. You can literally cut the floor pans out of a Mustang with no effect on chassis rigidity.

[Citation needed]
>implying implications

Confirmed for not knowing what the shit he's talking about. Cannot back up arguments with facts

>Assmad Ford Fangirl
Stay triggered.

Hard? No.
Expensive? Yes.

Mad? for pointing out the truth about a delusional GM fangirl? top KEKS

At least they were smart enough to move the distributor to the front of their engine.

>posting captioned meme generator pics

Holy fuck kill yourself newfag

>delusional
Nah senpai, that Ford fangirls that think their shit can last for more than years. They can't.

How come my ford is 41 years old and most square body chebbies are chinese rebar user? How come??

What a quinky dink I found a 72 on Craigslist
Shame I'm shit with cars and already got a shitty car but I think it looks cool

eauclaire.craigslist.org/cto/5791266581.html

Shit like this is why we need post IDs.
It literally reads like a Neal the Raptard story.
>Hay Nile why yoo drife a ferd they make yoo a gaybo
>WHOS DA GAYBO NOW YAMES

keks all around

I'm a car normie
I'm on here to try and change that

Fuck if only they made AE86 chassis/bodies/all parts

If only if only

On the topic of restoration, how hard would it be to restore a cheap S30?

Itd be more expensive than buying a good one, even at current prices

depending on the rust, hard. But replacing rusted panels is easy. Frame work is the only real challenge.

piss fucking easy. its perhaps the easiest car to rebuild i can think of

most difficult component is the rear diff.
this is harder to rebuild than an automatic transmission.
if you are buying a rebjilt one you really have to make sure the builder knows what he is doing

but anyway, rebuilding a car will really challenge you're work ethic. its a lot of hard work.. many lazy retarded fucks cant do it

Am i the raptard or is the gmtard the raptard? This is important for my self esteem user.

body and frame are the main issue and where you live. don't even think about trying out west.

The point would be to have a pristine to-factory spec AE86 that had never been abused in it's life for me familia.
Though I would probably forgo installing an engine and put it somewhere in my house on display.
similar to pic related.