RN's make $55-65K a year in my area according to job posts on Indeed...

RN's make $55-65K a year in my area according to job posts on Indeed. Mostly ER/ICU working 12 hour shifts 3-4 days a week.

Is there anything else I can do with as little time spent in school as possible that pays just as much? I was considering getting a CDL and being a flatbed driver. I'd be paid around the same but I'd only be home a weekend once or twice a month with no time for any hobbies.

Are trades worth it? How long do they usually take?

I don't mind being a RN, I just don't want to be stuck doing it for life. Every nurse I meet looks miserable as shit. I was thinking I could work a few years and the hospital would pay for me to continue education and become a FNP. They are basically replacing general practitioners around here and I see job postings anywhere from $87K to $110K.

So what do? I'm 22 broke as shit working 2 part time jobs. Never started college because my parent's are too wealthy (combined $180K income) so FAFSA won't help me, and they won't co-sign on my loans. So trying to spend as little time in school as possible because I'm paying out of pocket.

>RN's make $55-65K a year in my area according to job posts on Indeed. Mostly ER/ICU working 12 hour shifts 3-4 days a week.

those aren't the jobs you get right out of nursing school
do you have the grades to get into a nursing school without a big waitlist?

Those job posting required no experience but a RN license.

And I haven;t started yet.

Nursing will be in the shitter once all the baby boomers are dead. I already see too many nurses.

Haha no because old people won't die, they live longer,and people will always get sick

In CA Central Valley a nurse was just hired at a school for 104k a year. In California average pay is 60-70k and that's usually for 3x. 12 hour shifts.

But then again you have to be decently smart to get into a good program.

AMA . Nursing major here

What percentage of your schooling was reciting things from your book by rote that you don't use in the field and couldn't remember if you needed to?

You have shitty parents OP.

Well it depends on what field you want to go in.

Very little of the important is useless, but I haven't worked in the field yet, until next semester.

I would reccmend getting a nursing app, think it costs like 15-30$. You learn a lot about patience car and difference illnesses/diseassss and what the symptoms and cures are.

A really easy one is R.I.C.E for sprained ankles. Which is rest ice compression elavation.

Also a good thing is being a traveling nurse. Your employed but a company and you get sent across the United States. Usually for 3/6/12 months (most being 3) places that are short staffed. Usually you get your apartment paid for or at least a certain amount towards housing.

Most places are pretty despatate for nurses so unless your a total fuckup you can get a job almost anywhere. There were 60+ unfilled nursing spots for just schools in Cali.

Also if you work in the hospital the night shift is most sought after since most patiences are asleep.

>Also if you work in the hospital the night shift is most sought after since most patiences are asleep.
you are completely wrong about that statement.
Most nurses want day shifts because they want to have a normal sleep schedule and it's not worth an extra dollar an hour to be up all night.
Most patients don't sleep through the night and need constant attention. Not to mention their vitals are taken every four to six hours which generally will wake them up.

I was an RN. Worked in LTC and a hospital. Negative 2 stars, would not do it again.
Also, most nurses dont make more than 50k in the midwst. The average is usually fucked by nurses that make $130k a year like anesthesiologist assistants (nurses) and directors which are still considered nurses.

Also... dont do it if you have a cock between your legs. Every cunt RN will give you shit because they have shitty marriages and hate their husbands. If you do have a cock, enjoy doing all of the heavy lifting, and working nights and weekends.

Ignore this tool, sounds like a CNA.

>can't spell
You're not a nurse

Typing on phone after working all day. Get over your life nig nog.

And I just got into the program haven't been doing it that long retard, if you could read you would know that. What I did talk about was info I heard from male nurses I know.

And the other guy who bitches about the heavy lifting, sorry I'm not a neckbeard, i workout and play sports. And yeah working with women sucks but so does 99%of jobs

And my personal preference is the night shift. My goal is 2 years at a hospital, then getting into a cozy school job, when you only work 8-4. 230 days a year. At 60-80 in any city. Higher in the Central Valley.

Everyone bitching about the shit I post, yet they contribute nothing. But that's Veeky Forums for ya

Is Nursing School really important to do extra curricular stuff and clubs to get jobs? Can I get a job in a hospital at any point before graduation?

3rd year nursing student here

If anyone plans on becoming an RN, take the BSN route and skip the 2 year route.

BSN's make more money and have more autonomy in their field. You can literally do any nursing job with a BSN while you are limited with a 2 year degree.

I recommend working at a nursing home or hospital as a caregiver or CNA to get a feel for the shitty stuff (literally) you will sometimes be dealing with throughout your career. Its even better if you get a CNA job at a hospital.

Overall I recommend noone stays an RN the rest of their life. They should pursue more education to get their NP because they will be in more demand over general physicians in the future. However if you want a solid stable job, RN is the best way to go. Great pay, great hours if you are doing 12 hour shifts 3 days a week, meet a lot of interesting people, and you get to work with some good looking women.

There are lots of 4 year degrees that pay better. My ex makes 70k as a dental hygenist. 2 year course and shes one of the dumbest people ive ever met

Wow this is almost too dumb to believe

I'm a certified firefighter/emt. Currently enrolled in medic school. Work full time as a firefighter 42k a year at the moment. Becoming a medic will get me a 8-10k incentive on my salary. Then I am taking the medic to nursing bridge program. I plan to work my 15 days a month as a firefighter/medic while doing per diem nursing shifts to fill in the rest of the month.

>Tfw you're premed and you see retarded shit like this lel

>firefighter/emt

God bless you and the service that you do.

Yeah, definitely plan on IF I get that far, I will make connections and then maybe after 2 years or maybe when I pay off my debt, go to NP school, its very cool how you can pretty much be for all intents and purposes independent but probably still underneath a doctor in rank but the freedom still sounds good.

Nursing school will crash and burn like Law school did about 10 years ago. Too many applicants not enough jobs