I've been looking for a well maintained, clean 98+ Lexus SC400, and they rarely pop up. So...

I've been looking for a well maintained, clean 98+ Lexus SC400, and they rarely pop up. So, I want Veeky Forums's advice on whether this is a good decision or not, at $7k.
This one's got 180k miles, but has all service records, no modifications, everything has been done on time and done properly. Just got new tires, brakes; all suspension bushings redone in poly. The only issue is that the front bumper's been repainted and it doesn't really match.
I hear these cars will last to at least 300k with proper maintenance, but 180k is still high and I haven't had one of these before. What do you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/5780157549.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This is the interior. All in perfect shape.

Its right hand drive or is the owner an idiot?

Wait for a better one that you are comfortable with. The people that made these cars last 300k miles are the ones that could afford to repair them when they occasionally did break. If stupid niggers get their hands on them and drive into a a wall outside of KFC, you might as well treat the car as a tired out base model camry that has been abused by young females who never changed the oil and ran the fuel tank dry five or six times last summer.

They are awesome cars. If you cant find the right LS400, just get a good LS400, LS430, GS400

It's not right hand drive. I don't know why these are mirrored.

I totally understand that they only last forever if you take great care of them, despite all the trashed up ones on CL that say they're super reliable. But this guy has all the records for every oil change, transmission flushes, timing belt and water pump done twice now, I mean everything.

My roomate recently got an LS400 with 80k miles, and it's so nice. I need an early lexus and I had my sights on the 98+ models because of the VVTi engine.

I just got a '93 with 131k on saturday it's fucking dope. watch out for power steering leaks and lights in the dash, as well as the alternator if the power steering is kaput. the needles are supposed to be red not black on the dash lmao.

Pic related, my car

Get an sc300 2jz swap it problem solved.

>sc300
>2jz swap
what

Yeah, I've been doing a lot of research for about a month now. Went to look at one last week, a 1999 with 160k miles that also looked real nice. But the guy had no records, even though he told me he did, so I walked. That one was $5k, and I would probably buy this one for $5k. But I just am not sure if I should pay 7 for one with 180k, even if it is nice.

I payed 4300 for mine, Live in SD. I think I overpayed but the dude was an old asian guy who babied it and had every single record and all the original paperwork and manuals etc., he had bought it from he orig owner with like 20k miles in 1999 it was a saudi princess or some shit.

I knew I recognized that car! I'm also looking for one in San Diego, the ad for yours is still up.

That pic is off craigslist too lol. Don't have any other pics because im too lazy to clean it and a bird shat on the hood yesterday.

Only issue with it is it has a salvage title, he had all the paperwork for the work it had done and the carfax matched up I have USAA though and they dgaf. He rear ended someone and the front frame was bent and they replaced it with the fender and repainted it. If you find a clean one and it has paperwor for $5k grab that shit. Also there are a bunch of niggers in Chula Vista trying to pass trashed ones for $3k that have no info, don't buy the bull.

It's not a very difficult swap.

It already has a 2jz you fucking tard

Shit

Pick it up then

Solid

Have a body guy look at it first if still unsure

Get it but talk him down start at like $5k and see if hell budge then wait him out for a while and see if he comes back and ask for even less, if he has any other offers go for the $7k or whatever you can get the price down to. KBB is like $4k

2JZGTE=/= 2JZGE with two turbos bolted on. There's a ton of differences in the two engines. You're better off swapping a GTE if you can afford the stupid high price

Somewhat related, can you manual swap a SC400? If so, is it about the same difficulty as any other manual swap?

If hes swapping it he might as well get a 400 and swap out the 1UZ and enjoy the v8 until then.

Yeah I'm not going to fall for that. How's the power on yours? I really want a 1998 because of the 290hp/300tq, but the earlier ones are cheaper and I like them too.
I'm leaning towards it. The paint mismatch just bothers me a little bit. Oddly enough the last one I looked at ALSO had a slightly off front bumper repaint. I guess it gets done due to rock chips? It has a clean title.

out of genuine curiosity... why do you want a sc400? i've always been under the impression that they are just unfortunately heavy cars? i watched my friends for a few months when he was out of the country, and it just felt like a sluggish version of cheap/sporty japanese cars of that generation... not trying to talk shit on them, im honestly curious what's interesting about them

Yes it's been done, I plan on w58/2jzgte swapping mine when I'm bored in a couple years. It's a little complicated though because you have to drop the clutch etc. Theres a couple vids on youtube though of people that have done it on an sc.

Mine gets about 250hp to the wheels, keep in mind that 290 stat is to the crank, mine is 260 to the crank. It's pretty fucking fast stock though, there is a switch next to the shifter which you can switch between pwr and norm. Adjusts the TEMS suspension to stiffen or loosen and revs the engine between each the gears, take it out of over drive and put on power you can feel the gas getting sucked out of the tank but it probably does 0-60 in 6-6.5 at about 14 mpg as apposed to 7-7.5 at 20 mpg, get like 22 mpg on the highway in overdrive. Throttle is really fucking heavy, its a nearly two ton car. I've maxed out the speedo at 2 am on the I-15 headed south from esco/poway and it goes to 160, It will keep up with most.

Well, I really want a more old-man style grand tourer, luxurious, solid, no road noise whatsoever. That's what got me when I sat in my friends LS400, it just felt so solid, quiet and comfortable, but could get out of its own way. I definitely understand it's heavy, and the torque converter is low stall so you can't burn out, but I want something more sedate compared to my mazdaspeed 3. I also really want something with a v8 and rwd. Never owned a car with more than 4 cylinders.

SC400 is exactly that, and I have done burnouts in mine.

cant say i relate to that desire in a car, but makes sense. good luck finding the right one

Awesome, I'm glad you can do it on the stock converter. I wasn't sure because I read a couple people talking about the high stall converter mod which makes it easier.

My mazda's faster, but over time I've realized how uncomfortable it is. I can never quite adjust the seat how I like it, and after driving for a couple hours my legs almost start to fall asleep. I'm too tall for that car.

Thanks! I never gave them a second glance before I sat in my friend's LS400, but now I've caught that desire.

All the 90's toyota's were stupid heavy, with the V8 you dont really notice. The SC300s i've seen are super slow though. Still comfy as shit.

Even though the 300 is slower, I probably would pick this one up if it was in my price range. Same seller as my buddy's LS400, they were both owned by his father and just sat in the garage.

sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/5780157549.html

That car is in great shape but it's not worth half of that. For $15k I can get an RSX and run it at 15 lbs of boost. I could buy a stock BRZ/FRS/86 at that point.

Yeah, I offered six a few weeks ago, wouldn't budge. It's super nice though.

Keep in mind the 300 gets like 16 mpg because the cars so heavy

Yup, that's a Lexus alright. Same reason I got my GS a bit ago. It's not hard to get 250k out of one, though the kind of mileage you're looking at makes that largely out of your hands.

If it's what you want, then get one. Sounds like the one you're looking at could be a good deal. Check it thoroughly, if possible take it to a mechanic before you buy it. You'll get crap gas mileage out of it, it's not a fast car, and it's not as well optioned as a newer Camry. If you're fine with all that than it sounds like you're looking at the right car.

43,000 miles, $10,000 97 SC400
Interior is in great condition. Has two dents, one on the fender, one on the door (previous owner was an elderly couple) front bumper has scrapes on bottom passenger side, back bumper, paint is cracking (florida sun). No rust, engine runs smooth, all fluids changed.

these cars are cool as fuck but unfortunately the v8 they have in them doesn't have much of an aftermarket...
OP look them up on carsforsale.com anx offer him a price comparable to those.

It's a 97 so it still has the old engine and the 4 speed; 98+ usually demand a premium due to their desirability. It does look nice though. I'd pay 6k without records, 7k if you have documentation, but I think ten is too steep even considering the miles.

Hey, say I do buy a GS300 automatic. I've set a 10k budget. Is their any problems I should look into? All the cars I've seen were sub 120k miles. I understand bringing a mechanic but any obvious repairs that one should expect?