Should i get a full time job at an outgoing collections call center?

Should i get a full time job at an outgoing collections call center?

Yes/no?

Avoid call centers like the plague

It is absolutely soul crushing. You will be berated 8 hours a day.

Why? Fulltime hours and I need a job desu

How bad can it possibly be?

it is fucking terrible

you gain nothing from it other than a paycheck, no skills+no experience that can help you get something better

This. The underlying reason is that fulfillment comes from progress. Moving towards something makes you happy.

Unless you are saving for something special, a job that provides nothing but a paycheck will quickly wear you out.

>you gain nothing from it other than a paycheck, no skills+no experience that can help you get something better

Won't I learn how to talk to people?

Surely the experience is better than just having mcdonalds or whatever down on my resume... I mean it can't be that bad man, people say it's pretty decent actually.

Do you have a soul? Do you mind being told to fuck off, literally all day long?

If the answer to both of these questions is "no" then go for it.

Surely it's not that bad...

>Do you have a soul? Do you mind being told to fuck off, literally all day long?

ugh i think just i found my job

>people say it's pretty decent actually
>people say

Ok listen Donald, nobody says that. It sucks dick.

I've heard a few people say callcenters aren't that bad and it has decent glassdoor reviews

Ok. Well you asked for advice, and you've seen the general consensus in this thread. If you choose to disregard the advice you asked for, it's not my job to convince you. Good luck.

Well we're taking relative to comparable jobs tho

Yeah it's not great but id imagine it to be better than fastfood or factory work

Depends. If it's one of those "telemarketing" things where you have to call and sell people shit, that seems shit.
But regular call centers are NOT that bad. The people here saying to avoid it probably either don't have many bills to pay (riding on their parents backs) or are making money in ways that involve skill and/or education.
If you are going just for some money, yeah it's not bad.
OH, and you CAN use it on your resume depending on what your next job might be. Office related skills, customer service experience, etc.

As someone who's worked in food service and in a call center, I would choose food service every single time.

I've never really thought about this. I wonder if working in the call center could prepare you to strike on your own in the collection business. Is there any room for the little guy in this?

If you can turn off the part of your mind that cares about people, then nah it's not that bad.

I can

it's a collection agency

How about caring about the business owner who gets stiffed when some deadbeat wont pay his bills? Piss off.

If you've got absolutely no other alternative, yes. The job can be soul-crushing though - you really do need to be thick skinned or eternally optimistic. I'm probably somewhere on the aspie scale when it comes to lack of emotions but after being called a jock cunt about 50 times in one day it's hard not to take it to heart (or at least develop an intense hatred of entire postal code areas). On the plus side, some call centres do have reasonable bonus pay and you might come away with an acceptable wage.

Not all call centres are shite. My experience at a crap call centre was what allowed me to take my current role in customer services for a local authority. The pay is good - noon until 10pm, weekends only on a fixed eighteen hour contract and get just under £14 an hour for this - combined with my student loan I'm doing pretty well for a full-time student. Previously I earned around £19,000 a year working full-time Monday to Friday 9-5 for the council housing contact centre. You'll find that in local government you don't get anywhere near the same level of abuse - the council can be quite litigious and even the scummiest tenants tend not to risk acting like cunts on the phone.

>tldr - it can lead to a reasonably good job if you use the experience to your advantage

> business owner

90% of it is credit card debt and medical debt

Your point? Real people have stakes in those industries too. Pay your debts.

FUCK no

What is wrong with you

I had a collection agency call me for a solid 3 months attempting to collect on a debt I didn't have (someone else in the city I live in has the same name as me). They attempted to verify (and failed numerous times) to ascertain my identity without revealing who they were for fear that the overdue putz would hang up. Instead I wasted as much time as I possibly could before they would give up, after which my phone number was recycled into their system and some other sucker was forced to call me again a few days later, and the fun would repeat.

Collectors seem to get real nervous when you make it apparent you know who they are and where they work. Even more nervous once you explain to them that they could suffer some major legal backlash for soliciting a person's very personal info to stranger's who's identity they haven't confirmed.

If that sounds like something you'd be willing to endure for a buck, go for it.

And to the shitstain who shares my name and doesn't pay his student loans, you owe me a fucking 5th of something nice, and pay your goddamned debts already.