>modding?
>breakdowns/problems?
>accessories!

All MR cars welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

lakeland.craigslist.org/cto/5778660778.html
kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/city-of-toronto/1986-toyota-mr2-coupe-2-door/1162839498
kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/city-of-toronto/toyota-mr2-best-offer/1185945689
kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/markham-york-region/20v-silvertop-1986-toyota-mr2-n-a-coupe-2-door/1195156158
amazon.com/Toyota-Convertible-Haartz-Stayfast-Heated/dp/B00DR17A20
youtube.com/watch?v=g9JMy7pH4yQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sadly I think I'm about to sell my 2001 Spyder, I bought her third hand for cheaper than I should have and she's been a bitch ever since
It's mainly my fault because I used a fairly shady mechanic to do some work I didn't have the tools for and now it's dead in the water and I don't have to money to repair it and finish the 944

How'd she die bro?

Honestly she's not like junk dead, but it's much too expensive of a project to take on now
The second owner had to do an engine swap because the original owner did zero maintenance, so he put a 2005 vibe engine in it, and he did everything correctly but when the clutch burnt out on me I had a buddy of mine replace it and he didn't hybridize it properly and now it shifts it self out of 3rd gear, it started as a random grind and click every once in a while but now it's everytime you push the clutch in 3rd

sounds like a case of too many projects!

how close is the 944? can't put it on the back burner for a bit? or need the cash to finish the 944 now?

Sucks. What do you plan to do now?

Better

It's an '83 that I bought last year not driving and we got it to the point where it will idle but when you press the gas it totally kills the engine and I think we are on the cusp of drivability and I don't want to lose the momentum, but I'm still pretty lost on what it could be

Either find a factory engine and rebuild the tranny or sell her and snag an AW11

Only 2 weeks to go until it's mine.

Currently being repainted, new bodykit, new seats, new wheels, new sound system, tuned, the works. I'm hype as fuck.

looking good.

objectively worse

god i love cars that have the light bar all the way across.

>came with v6 factory
>lighter
>more power
>Abundance of engine swap possibilities that literally bolt in

>lighter

not according to wikipedia
Curb weight 1,176 to 1,265 kg (2,593 to 2,789 lb)

versus the MR2
1,035 kg (2,282 lb) (1985 NA)
1,066 kg (2,350 lb) (1988 NA)
1,131 kg (2,493 lb) (1988 SC)[3]

wanna get my seats done to look like this in my adub.

Still looks like shit.

why can't we love both, i know i do.

lakeland.craigslist.org/cto/5778660778.html
What do you guys think? How much of a bitch is installing an AC unit?

easy as winding down the window

gotta save the weight m8

I'm part way through replacing the head gasket in my SW20. I'm planning to send the head to a machine shop to get resurfaced. Is there any way I can tell if the block needs decking as well?

>get a mid-engine car they said
>It's not actually that hard to work on they said

I live in Florida so unless this has God tier air flow going no AC isn't an option

i live in australia

bit hot in summer at times but i live.

Is think it would be somewhat difficult. You would need the condenser, new serpentine belt, and the AC lines.

looks and handles like garbage

looks worse than a 2nd gen MR2? yeah, probably. looks worse than a 1st gen? idk man fiero GTs are pretty sleek. also fieros handle better than MR2s tbqhwyf. people tend to mistake "handles better" with "easier to aggressively drive"

It looks worse than all three generations of mr2.

If you think a turd gen MR2 looks better than a Fiero GT youre delusional. 2nd gen is agreeable, 1st gen is arguable.

seek help

my preference

aw11, fiero, sw20, then a few cliffs, then the spyder.

>myspace angle pic

Should I repaint my mr2

Hello.

why? looks good

>ain't no body dope as me,
>i'm just so fresh,
>so fresh n so clean.

>find the factory engine

>other owner swapped in a 2zz-ge
>you want to go back to a 1zz-fe

plz don't do this

Where do you live? I'll buy that shit.

I've been trying to find another one to replace my 01 that I sold, but fucking prices have started going up. Tired of clowns wanting 7k for a salvage title and 180k miles.

>take a ride in an AW11 with a blacktop swap with open ITBs
>drive in a tunnel underpass
>open the window
Quite possibly the most orgasmic sound I've heard.

yeah but the fiero isn't better stock
probably cheaper to mod to make fast, but the aw11 has a certain appeal

i agree.

Are any of these worth it? All AW11s.

kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/city-of-toronto/1986-toyota-mr2-coupe-2-door/1162839498 (102k mi, $3k USD)

kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/city-of-toronto/toyota-mr2-best-offer/1185945689 (114k mi, $2600 USD)

kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/markham-york-region/20v-silvertop-1986-toyota-mr2-n-a-coupe-2-door/1195156158 (201k mi on body, 68k mi on engine, $2100)

none of those links work for me

nvm i'm retarded

i'd go either the blue or red one, the k's one the other are huge.

>datass

this is fucking sexy

i wan to do something like this, remove the engine cover and make a clear hatch like that. would be mad.

My aw11 in the rain

Can't find any AW11's for sale in Australia, I want to move on from my shit box AE82, why am i being tortured Veeky Forums

>Would gladly trade my newer corolla for an MR2 of any sort

Has anybody had any luck with the cheaper replacement tops for Spyders on Amazon?

amazon.com/Toyota-Convertible-Haartz-Stayfast-Heated/dp/B00DR17A20

My roof has had a good 13 year run, but it's starting to crack around the window and I don't want to wait until it starts leaking. I had to replace the drains once and it took forever, so I'm not looking forward to the job and might just get a body shop to do it this time.

It's great, sounds like racecar

Do you have a problem where the car bogs and hesitates at around 2-3k RPM?

Honestly, I can't wait to import a '94-95 MR2 GTS without that stupid T-top and proper boost in performance

I never realized how light, fast, and reliable these cars really are.

MR2 and Celica GT-Four really are Toyota's best cars

fair few for sale m8, but they're often over priced. just gotta wait until a bargain pops up which they do, they don't last long though so be quick

2700 lbs for a two seater is not light.

Light for a frame able to withstand high horsepower. The AW11 just isn't built to handle what an SW20's chasis can.

for a RWD car, anything under 3000lbs is light

it's also lighter/faster than the s14/15 silvia stock for stock and money other cars of the same year except they Type R

That's actually extremely light user

Most other cars were around 3200-3400 lbs in other markets. Not to mention it's a 4 cylinder turbo making 218-242 hp stock before you even crank the boost.
AW11 has an extremely weak chassis

The AW11 and the AE86 have chasis that can't really handle anything upwards of 300hp really well. The SW20 may be heavier but is balanced as a chasis to withstand lots of horsepower.

What about the w30?
But it's not a traditional rwd. It's a reverse corolla, which weighed more than the regular Corolla.

>What about the w30?
It can handle it better than an AW11 but still can't beat the SW20 in terms of raw rigidity. That's why the SW is the only MR2 capable of running 1000+hp safely but albeit very stressed.

I guess. I was taking more in terms of a DD with light to medium modifications for canyon carving / auto cross.

Both can be DD but I imagine the MR-S would be a slightly better DD.

you reckon wrong

mr-s has no storage space at all.

aw11 and sw20 make better dd's.

youtube.com/watch?v=g9JMy7pH4yQ

is a nice canyon carver though

Under what kind of load? It'll most likely bog around 2k rpm above 3rd gear but I no not to lay on the pedal until I'm above 3k rpm. No hesitation though, this thing fucking flies smooth through the whole rev range

I want my next car to be a w30 with a 2zz

MR-S has been my DD for five years now. Stop carrying crap with you everywhere.

Yeah around that range. Generally when I'm in 2nd or 3rd it will hesitate and stumble a but around 2k rpm at around half throttle but once it gets past 3k it revs cleanly all the way to 8500.

I just notice that a lot of people who have the Blacktop have this issue.

I guess I don't really notice it with the way I drive then. With the ITBs it just fucking pulls hard once the vvt kicks in

Yeah true it screams once it starts to rev. Just sometimes it can be awkward coming away from a red light and having it hiccup a little bit. Other than that it's a beast.

No one really seems to know how to dial it out either, people have said it could be the TPS settings of the O2 sensor but so far I've been unsuccessful getting rid of it. It's not a huge deal and the car still rides amazing, but it's that little OCD thing I want to fix.

Should I get a 20v blacktop or go for the 16v forged piston with a Supercharger?

Lucky, have you gutted the pre cats yet?

I would trade my meme car for an MRS but all the ones here are like 12k, thinking about importing a rhd one.

You must have the time of your life on canyons.

what i said still works. the aw11 and sw20 make better dd's. i never said you couldn't do it, just that the other two do it better.

Supercharger

I'm just starting to get into cars, I was looking for a 240 but I found this on Craigslist.. Thoughts? I don't know much but my uncle is a mechanic. Also I need it to be at least a little reliable because I'll be driving it to work every day.

SUPERCHARGED
The Blacktop can rev and can sound nice but the torque you get from the SC can't be beat.

Are you on LA? I think I've seen this ad. Anyways it would need some work to getting it up and running. Try to give one already running in good condition.

both are good but id personally go with a supercharger

Close, the listing is in Lompoc. It's just above Santa Barbara

It's a 2003 so my understanding is it wasn't necessary. I'm the second owner though, so maybe the first guy did it.

Handling is amazing, but unfortunately for me I have the sequential manual transmission so my acceleration is for shit.

Here's a road that I sometimes take home from work if I'm not in a hurry

Want a non-turbo 91-93 as my next car. It will be my daily at least until i finish college.
Tell me why i shouldnt

Of course they do. Hell, nearly anything does. I'm just saying most people carry a lot of crap in their cars. If you are a motorcycle-only person or live in a city where everyone rides the train you quickly learn how much of that crap you don't need. At least, that's what happened to me.

When I was growing up in the South I had a Subaru Legacy with a fifty pounds of my
junk rattling around in the back at any given time. Now the MR2 feels like luxury after riding the subway for four years.

It was painted a week ago and now im slowly asssemblying it, engine was rebuilt by me, all it needs now is a new set of tires and allnew suspension when I get some extra money, it will soon be registered for the first time in about 8 years. :)

Ive been looking at getting a 2nd car purely for fun and learning, as i have a reliable boring daily driver. Would the aw11 be a good choice for a beginner? I don't know too much about fixing up cars as my current one has been too reliable. I can pick one up for $3k-$4k around where i live, how much do you guys pay on insurance? would it be worth it or is there a more 'fun' beginner car?

also it looks sexy as fug, ive wanted one ever since my co worker showed me his

Get the 4AGZE but then swap a turbo in.

I don't see why not.

Are the USDM Non-turbos as slow and boring as people make them sound? I've seen a lot of people saying that it's not worth it to buy an NA, and that you can't really swap a turbo engine either.
I really want an MR2, but I don't have the money to spend on a turbo.

Well, they are not fast. But they should still be fun to drive around in.

They're similar to miatas from what i hear. Slow as shit off the line but when you get them moving and keep them in the powerband, they're quite a bit of fun.
Even being the pigfat step child of the bunch, the sw20 is still a very light car and fun to drive, although the earlier model years are more unstable than their late model counter parts.
With that said, a few rear-end suspension mods will put you right along side them.

I can vouch for this. My NA has fuck-all for acceleration, but the handling is fantastic. If you live in a flat area with straight roads or a city with heavy traffic you're going to have a bad time. If you live on the coast or up in the mountains it's a fun car.

Well I live in Jacksonville FL, so that sucks.

Im living just outside of Baltimore currently, so thats makes me feel bad about my decision.
But its literally my attainable dream car right now, being a broke college student.
Considering its just a more expensive corolla thats rwd, its the most fun i can have with a reliable old toyota, i think.
Thats why I want an NA model. I cant afford to maintain a turbo and i know it

Just indulge in it then, man. I bought one when living in middle Tennessee and it was still fun to put the top down and drive around. It's just that it's a LOT more fun now that I live in Asheville and have crazy roads everywhere.

Just do one thing for me: if any salesman mentions the letters SMT, turn around and walk away. You want no part of that shit. If that computer fucks up, and they do, you're out thousands of dollars for a replacement. If it doesn't fuck up, you still have a heavier, slower car.

Oh im keenly aware oh the smt. Im going manual no matter what model i get. Im open to all 3 generations, personally, mostly leaning towards the 2nd gen due to AESTHETICS. I was considering the ZZW30 for a while until financial reasons forced me to consider something a bit cheaper.
Im originally from the Appalachia region of Pennsylvania, and I intend to move back there eventually. The roads snaking along the rivers were absolutely gorgeous. Whenever I buy one and go visit my family Ill be putting quite a few miles on it in a short time.