Will getting new pads and rotors improve pedal feel?

Will getting new pads and rotors improve pedal feel?

Car has 110k miles. Rotors are stock and pads look like they have 30% life left

No

Yes

It depends on the pad as well. I had a mushy pedal in my car ( that worked fine, just had long travel ) so I got new pads and rotors. New pads and rotors seemed to fix the trick for me as it stiffened my pedal up real good and stopped harder. ABS kicks in now because I stop so hard.

How could new pads or rotors possibly give you a firmer pedal?

It doesn't

incredible hihg performance pads do improve pedal feel

Pistons in the calipers don't have to travel as far.

I heard there were ceramic disks, is dis real?

>i don't know how brake systems work

What kind of brakes nigger? I'm not all knowing but unlike you richboi, I work on my cars.

fuck off with your victim bullshit faggot

Lol wtf you talking about?
I am a professional mechanic, literally LS swapping my Volvo right now and just finished installing a ford axle in it.
How the fuck can you get the idea that I don't work on my own shit?
What kind of brakes?
The hydraulic kind.

Well while the principle of how drums and disks are similar, they are still different. Mr. professional, if you know so much then how come such a simple three stage process doesn't make since to you?

How are they different?
Piston moves in one end of a hydraulic system, piston moves out on the other.
The system is self adjusting for pad/shoe wear and therefor the piston travel will always be the same from new pad all the way til it's fully worn.

Actually, when the drive applies pressure on the brake, the pedal moves a plunger in the master cylinder which heightens the pressure in the lines causing the pistons within the calipers (disk brakes) to compress two brake pads on a disk whereas on drum brakes the drum cylinder expands pushing the "pads" against the inner walls of the drum. These are different process similar to how a generator and alternator are different but serve the same purpose. So FUCK YOU.

lol I've rebuilt so many master cylinders, calipers and drum brake cylinders, it's funny that you think I don't know this already.

Then how come you couldn't actually explain the process? I'm but a simple physicist.

>wanting me to explain how hydraulics work
Literally what the fuck are you smoking?
I shouldn't have to explain anything.

You claimed that I didn't know how brakes worked. Obviously I fucking know how they work. The question was why is the pedal stiffer with a quarter of the brake system rebuilt and I gave a valid reason.

Quarter of the brake system rebuilt?
That doesn't mean anything?
>quarter of the engine rebuilt
>quarter of the axle rebuilt
What does this mean?
Specify the parts you replaced instead of just saying "quarter of the brake system rebuilt"
Are you ???

Well, the disks and pads are roughly a quarter of the brake system.

What's likely happened is when you compressed the pistons to fit the new pads in, you pushed trapped air out of the system through the master cylinder.

Lol just shit the fuck up you complete retard

If the pads are really worn, the rotors are to thin, or the drums aren't adjusted; then doing brakes should help.
You should get ceramic pads + d&s rotors (about $70-$90 on Amazon)
At 100k+ these brakes should easily last almost the rest of the cars lifespan.

Did I get you confused for? Sorry Mrcrummy.
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

if your pedal is mushy, then your hydraulics aren't acting linearly in some way. or the pedal itself isn't linear.

make sure your fluid is fresh and airbubble-free (which can sometimes be a maddening process)

make sure your master isn't fucked

replace your rubber lines with something stiffer.

does your firewall flex when you slam the pedal? brace/reinforce that shit.

replace your pedal bushings

Ignoring all the retards in this thread if you want any kind of significant increase in brake feedback stainless braided lines are the best buy, they're drastically more firm and responsive compared to rubber lines.

It might improve braking but the pedal will feel the same. Try bleeding the brakes and putting new fluid in, that's more related to the pedal than the pads and rotors desu

I had a mushy kind of pedal before as well. Got new pads and rotors in and that stiffened them up very good.

>if your pedal is mushy, then your hydraulics aren't acting linearly in some way. or the pedal itself isn't linea
OP here

My pedal isn't mushy. Like the brakes work just fine but they activate until around 2" of pedal travel compared to other cars where it's basically instant.

this fucking guy
pad material has A LOT to do with brake pedal feel

Best/cheapest thing to do is to just flush your fluid and make sure all the wet fluid & air is out.

Different pads will provide a different braking response which you may perceive as a different feel.

Changing rotors won't impact feel at all. Unlikely to impact response unless you get retarded cheese grater rotors.

Fluid makes a bigger difference then stainless brake lines. A high quality brake fluid is a world of difference compared to 3 year old Walmart special brake fluid.

These two.

Everyone else is wrong.

okay, so you've probably got excess freeplay between the pedal and the master cylinder. it's adjustable. there's a nut.

...or your master is fucked internally.
...or you've got air in your system.

if your brakes work "just fine" then why are you asking about pedal feel?

Pads are a solid, they do not flex or compress when applying pressure.
They will have zero effect on pedal feel, they have an effect on braking force yes, some pads grip better than others requiring less pedal force fur the same stopping power, but to think that your pedal feels more firm after a pad and rotor swap?
Get real.

Are brake systems different on same cars with different engines? If I put brakes from the e500 on my e220 will it work just like on e500?

Nigger, after I got new pads and rotors my brakes engage a hell of a lot higher than before. Explain nigger.

>brakes engage a hell of a lot higher than before

exactly, you're making the same mistake OP did over here you're describing pedal height/pedal freeplay. that's not pedal feel.

either your car has shitty self-adjustment or your brake fluid got replaced at the same time.

by pedal feel do you mean pedal weight/firmness?

Yeah man. Like the brakes engaged a lot higher than before. Before the brakes would engage a lot lower to the ground. They would have hard when they engaged but there was a 2" like deadzone in the pedal.