What is best all around starter toolset to keep in my truck? Budget is $150-200

What is best all around starter toolset to keep in my truck? Budget is $150-200.

Thanks!

Other urls found in this thread:

lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-250-Piece-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set/4640241
m.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Universal-200-Piece-Standard-SAE-and-Metric-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set-with-Hard-Case/1000046233
m.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-432-Piece-Standard-SAE-and-Metric-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set/1000049583
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

check your local lowe's, they're clearing out the 250pc Kobalt set which includes 1/4, 3/8, 1/2" ratchets + sockets. normally $200, going for $50-70 if you can still find them

link (ymmv)
lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-250-Piece-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set/4640241

Wait for the Craftsman sales to pop up and grab one of their $350 kits for $150.

Otherwise Huskey, Stanley, any of the popular shit with a good warranty that isn't dirt cheap will work.

Somebody will mention Harbor Frieght, but some of their stuff works fine while others is garbage. Their kits normally come with extra shitty ratchets so I wouldn't even waste the time. Plus if you catch a good sale at Sears, the Craftsman kits will be about the same price as HF shit.

>$199
That's a straight kit if you can find it for $70-$100, but it is basically just a socket set. At least it comes with 1/2", 3/8", and 1/4" drive and if OP gets that he still has enough money left to get a pliers set and other random stuff.

Forgot to add the Kobalt stuff isn't bad at all.

Nice! Saw this locally. Gonna drive down right now and get it! Thanks a lot my dude!

There is this one too
m.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Universal-200-Piece-Standard-SAE-and-Metric-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set-with-Hard-Case/1000046233

Def worth the money. This one looks like it has all those hex and torx sockets which are sweet. Grab one of those kits, then spend another $100 on a pliers kit, a set of decent screwdrivers, and then a hammer and mallet and some random single stuff and you will be straight.

This one is dank too. Those ratcheting wrenches are normally ~$100 for the set.

m.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-432-Piece-Standard-SAE-and-Metric-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set/1000049583

On something like this, where there's no case, are all the sockets just loose? Would I need to get one of those socket row holder things?

Thanks Bros.

Depends. You can get the holders for cheap. Otherwise if you have a toolbox (which you probably don't if you are investing in the whole kit) then you can just lay them in there and let them roll around a little.

Just remember you will want a few more things, especially if you are going to wrench around home. Little stuff like a hammer, tape measure, pliers, level, etc. I do more weekend warrior projects than wrenching on cars though.

You could also think about looking for just a socket set in a carrying case, then get a small toolbox for the other random set. But idk what sales they have on those. If they want $100 for a 3/8" drive socket set with a case, but the 200pc set with 1/2", 3/8", 1/4" drives, hex keys, and all that shit with no case is on sale for $125, then get the one with no case and some of those holders like I posted in the last pic and throw it all in a tool box.

I already have the nicks and nacks. Need to get a good socket and wrench set. Is that 432 piece set decent? It's a short drive to pick one up. Only one more in Stock in town it seems.

I really like that 432pc set for the money. Like I said, those ratcheting spanners are normally ~$100 for the set, and you can live without them but once you use them for suspension work you will fall in love. So that's like half the price of the kit right there.

Same thing goes for all those hex and torx sockets. You can use the regular hex keys but the socket bits make life so much easier on certain projects. And the $200 kit has all those extensions, adapters, and U-joints and those things are worth their weight in gold.

I mean look at it this way, the ratcheting open-ended wrenches would be $100, and just the 3/8" drive ratchet and sockets would be another $100, so the rest of that stuff is basically a bonus with that sale.

432pc kit also has the breaker bar and you will use that a lot if you start working on shit under the car. Those aren't that expensive, but that's another ~$20 tool that the other kits don't have.

Also for the sockets, searching Lowe's website it looks like they just have some overpriced ones. If you go for a kit like that without the box, go to Harbor Freight tomorrow and grab rails from them.

One more thing as long as I'm browsing the Lowe's website looking at shit to waste money on...

If you have a drill or cordless impact at home, grab pic related. It will be the best $4 ever spent. I spent a good portion of my day hanging up this closet organizer and blinds and all this other shit and having a couple good drills cut the project time in half.

Thanks Pepsi fag. I'm on my way into Lowes now. Will come back to the thread in an hour or so to post results. I appreciate it much!

>Lowes
>11:30PM

Do it. Late night impulse buys are best buys.

He could be west coast, at least I'm hoping. It's almost 1am here but I think they closed around 10pm. Lowe's and Home Depot normally have good hours, especially on weekdays. They open at like 5am or 6am so contractors and shit can come in half drunk from the night before and grab what they need.

Is Craftsman better than Harbor Freight?

>tfw the glory of anonymity means that you have communicated with me many times over a period of months but you'd never know

Pretty much. Kobalt, Craftsman, Stanley, and all that stuff is a good mid-tier weekend warrior tool. Plus lifetime warranty means I can use flathead screwdrivers as pry bars. Snap-On and that shit is better, but I have no use for a $1200 socket set.

Harbor Freight is cheap. That's why you go there. Some of the stuff is fine, a lot of people will buy their sockets because certain sizes get lost all the time in garages and there's only so much that can go wrong with a socket if you aren't using them on heavy duty impact guns. Their black and green Pittsburgh Pro ratchets aren't too bad but not smooth at all. The all silver HF ratchets are straight garbage though. Those are the ones that come in their kits and I have broken a handful of them with mild use because my one friend refuses to spend money on halfway decent tools. I don't trust any of their screwdrivers or drill/driver bits either. They will strip the first time you slip them on a screw head. Good bits and drivers should destroy the hardware long before they get fucked up.

OP here. I got the set, and the screwdriver attachment too (next month is when I'll make my screwdriver impulse but, same budget :)

The set is heavy as fuck. The guy had me guess, I guessed 50lbs, actual weight is 43lbs.

Should I somehow trim down the set for what I keep at home and what I keep in my truck? Honestly I'd get much more utility out of keeping them in my truck because I live in an apartment and don't really wrench on anything there (would do it at my folks place or at a friend's).

Or maybe I should split the set into two bags or boxes... One frequently used and one for everything else?

Any suggestions on tool bags or boxes to purchase? Would prefer low profile so I can squeeze it under my rear seat.

I already have some cool vintage tool boxes I got from my late grandfather, I can post them later.

Thanks PepsiFag, I appreciate it a lot!

Maybe keep a set of 6pd deep sockets with 3/8" drive and then a set of 1/4" drive in a bag along with the screwdriver and a bunch of little bits. That will get you through a lot. And then figure out the common sizes and keep some of the open-ended wrenches in there.

I just hate breaking up sets like that. Did that years ago when I bought a big $300 set and now there's only bits and pieces left from that and of course it's all fucking odd and uncommon sizes. That's why I bought the pos in pic related when I saw it on clearance for really cheap. I have been using it a lot the past week or two since I moved and have been taking shit apart at the old house while all my tools are at the new house.

If you are worried about losing shit and breaking up the set like I did, this is the time for Harbor Freight. Grab their coupons (they always have something, one on their home page for 20% off) and get the black and green 3/8" ratchet, a set of deep 3/8" sockets for like $10, a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter for a dollar or two, set of smaller 1/4" sockets, and then one of those screwdrivers with all the bits. You could probably get that for like $50 Toss that in a bag in your truck and then you will always have the full sets of everything organized at home when you need them.

Is the 432 piece set excessive to keep in my truck?

>SAE
NO THANKS

Kek go for it if you want to. Just try and keep it organized so you don't have sockets rolling around by the spare tire.

I mean you could break it up as long as you keep track of everything. Like I said, get a good set together of deep 6pt 3/8" drive sockets, another of 1/4" drive, the ratchets for those, a set of those ratcheting box wrenches (metric or SAE depending what your car likes to use), then you could do a set of metric and SAE hex keys, and the screwdriver with all those screwdriver and torx bits. Should get you a lil 10lb tool kit.

But you definitely don't need the same size shallow sockets in 1/2" and 3/8" drive in a heavy ass kit in the trunk of your car.

A Harbor Freight set is probably half the price and comes with both Metric and SAE.

Welcum to America. SAE and everything with it is retarded. If it is strictly an emergency kit for the car, you can get away with it. But if you want an all-around kit for your Ford, the wife's VW, the kitchen cabinets, the clost rack, the grill in the back yard, have fun stripping the fuck out of everything because you only have the one set.

Btw, so with Yuros, what are the drive sizes for the ratchets and stuff since at least here it is 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2"?

Nope.

First of all, that set is SAE AND metric. Second, if you can get a good deal on those Kobalt or Craftsman kits, they are cheaper than the HF stuff and much better. I was just on the HF site and they want $199 for a 301pc set right now. OP just got a 432pc Kobalt kit for the same price.

Plus those HF sets come with the shittiest ratchets available. And the screwdrivers and any driver bits or hex keys they come with are worthless as well.

Wouldn't it be better just to carry my nice tools in my truck where I could actually use them? I think I'll just split it into two bags, metric and standard and get two or so ratchets to keep on the other set.

Sounds like a straight idea, just keep them organized and don't throw them all loose in a duffel bag. You think something like pic related would fit somewhere in the truck?

OP here. I've resigned myself to the idea that I'm going to just have to get a toolbox to put in the bed. Within that I can put an actual toolbox or two, and some camping gear that I am apparently in the habit of lugging around with me. Not like I use the full amount of bed space anyways... But now I'm wishing I got a long bed. Such is life. Next truck I get will be a fuck huge super/heavy duty. But for now, this will do.

Feels good to be an American and to be dealing with these sorts of 'problems'.

Can't go wrong with that.

If you are at Lowe's or wherever, check out those drawer liners for tool boxes with the "Zerust" or whatever. You don't want the humidity to fuck with it. The rolls of drawer liner are cheap too so you could line the smaller tool boxed and any trays in there too. A quick mist of WD-40 or something similar wouldn't hurt either. You can see a little of some rust protection on some tools when you first get them too.

So is it better to have a tool box, or a tool bag with a socket holder/organizer?

If tool box, how to keep the sockets all together and not rolling and bouncing all over the place?

There's a bunch of trays or pic related so you can keep them organized

>38 posts and none about the girls
Well done Veeky Forums